Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DataAeolus

There's always Chiron

Yeah, if I could do it I'd ban all SUVs, trucks, hummers, and other vehicles that guzzles gas except for those with exceptional gas per km/mile. If someone can prove there's a need for a such vehicle such as for farming or whatnot, he'd have to apply for a permit to purchase a such vehicle and it'd be expensive. Hummers are popping up everywhere where I live and it's so dismaying. Waste of gas and materials.

Also, the entire populace would be put on birth control. If an individual wish to have a child, again, that person would need to apply for the waiver. That way the State can control the birth rate. Ah it won't happen, at least not today.
    I would probably be willing to die to revolt against u. hard to say, depends how slow the changes creep up. but if u tried it now. it'd be gun in the streets time.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

The proof?
      It's generally true, and well known. The reason is not expanding, and to be more precise in places like europe, contracting markets for products. Unused manufacturing capacities, etc. The good population growth is a very slow one (around 1 percent per year is great). But worse of them all is population collapse.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by DataAeolus

Correct. More developed a nation become, more the birth rate drops. The States along with some European nations have ballooning elderly population. In the States, it's a concern because the working force is not large enough to support the social security needs of the elderly population and by the time they become senior citizens themselves, there'll be nothing left in the social security pot for them.
        almost universally europe is in deeper **** w/ social security than america is. tho its certainly ugly for both.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel

It's generally true, and well known. The reason is not expanding, and to be more precise in places like europe, contracting markets for products. Unused manufacturing capacities, etc. The good population growth is a very slow one (around 1 percent per year is great). But worse of them all is population collapse.
          Sorry, but prosperity to me seems an issue of individual wealth, not the ability of the capitalist system to constantly expand and feed itself.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Yavoon, oh I know . Those draconian measures wouldn't be popular - human beings are way too selfish.

If I was become the Supreme Emperor of Earth or whatever and tried to pull this off, I'd be overthrown and executed within the hour.
            Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Most of the global population growth is in the developing nations especially in Africa

Are you sure it's not Asia?

Some nations will be facing a very severe age gap in the decades ahead because of this.

True, but we can't keep 'growing', at some point we will need to look for a natuaral balance IMHO

and even more oddly, slower population growth = less prosperity.

One of the basic flaws of capitalism perhaps?
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I don't understand why people are worried about the lack of future social security, specifically elderly care.

Presently real unemployment in Europe is 25 percent, and elderly care has never been greater than it is now.

It must be that some people are afraid of taking care of the elderly. I wonder why that is.

Comment

Capitalism has nothing to do with it -- regardless of economic system, if the ratio of workers to dependents drops below a certain point, there simply won't be enough production to support the population -- I se what Azazel is saying now.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                    Capitalism has nothing to do with it -- regardless of economic system, if the ratio of workers to dependents drops below a certain point, there simply won't be enough production to support the population -- I se what Azazel is saying now.
                    One..as long as productivity of the workers, or the means of production goes up, this is forestalled. Second, make people work longer-this is a solution as well.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Certainly, but the presence of mitigating factors dosen't disprove the fundamental idea.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

One..as long as productivity of the workers, or the means of production goes up, this is forestalled. Second, make people work longer-this is a solution as well.
                        Making people work longer changes the ratio of workers to dependents, so his statement stands...

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                          slower population growth = less prosperity.
                          Yet the opposite - higher population growth=more prosperity is not neccesarily true.

There is no direct correlation between population and prosperity.

Comment

Originally posted by Tripledoc

Yet the opposite - higher population growth=more prosperity is not neccesarily true.

There is no direct correlation between population and prosperity.
                            that is a fallacy of cause and effect.

Comment

Yay! All this falling dollar stuff has given me an $80/month pay hike and upped the value of my bank account. It feels strange making money off of currency speculation.
                              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Re: The Economist: Let the Dollar Fall

Originally posted by Kidicious
                                The conservative camp believes in a stronger dollar and a balanced budget for the US. The other camp wants fiscal stimulus and a weaker dollar. The Economist calls for a weaker dollar and a balanced budget though.
                                I call for pretty much the same. Weaker dollar improves exports. I think conservatives believe that too. Well at least the great Bush adminstration does.
                                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Working...
                                X