X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know who you are...

Comment

Originally posted by Tripledoc
      A weaker dollar will only mean that the production of consumer goods will switch from one part of the world to another part of the world. It does not solve the basic problem.
      The environment never does well in economic collapses.

Basically the US is following Argentina's path- borrow and spend and keep the currency overvalued! And then, at some point, the whole thing will come down...
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
        The environment never does well in economic collapses.

Basically the US is following Argentina's path- borrow and spend and keep the currency overvalued! And then, at some point, the whole thing will come down...
        Well, if the whole thing crashes and the present consumer binge is halted, no doubt the capitalists will have made such inroads into the political decision making process, that they will simply see this as an oportunity to collect labour at very cheap prices. Like Roosevelt and Hitler.

This opportunistic use of labour on creating infrastructure will only create the basis for yet another surge in consumption some time in the future.

Comment

Well, honestly, nothing you can do about it. People consume. At some point we will reach the top of the J curve, the species will crash, and the natural balance will restore itself.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I wonder how long the Dollar will stay World Currency.
            Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

While I was living in Kenya, banks there love getting US dollars, UK pounds, and the euro. I'm sure the greenback will be popular for years to come... until yen takes over :P
              Who is Barinthus?

Comment

It is possible, if the political will is there, to create a stable society. It will be mildly totalitarian in that it will seek to halt enterprise, and change some basic conceptions, but that is the price to be paid for the survival of the human species.

Comment

Sometimes I feel that in order to solve our problems, we would have to cut the human population down to 5 to 10 million and that's all over the planet. However I woulnd't want to be the guy in the charge of doing that.
                  Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by DataAeolus
                    Sometimes I feel that in order to solve our problems, we would have to cut the human population down to 5 to 10 million and that's all over the planet. However I woulnd't want to be the guy in the charge of doing that.
                    That is a gross overstatement. The problem is not people. The problem is the consumption by each individual. Capitalism is driven by feeding wholly artificial needs. Why else commercials?

The state needs to intervene and shift the worlds production of consumer goods into ecological solutions.

Comment

It is possible, if the political will is there, to create a stable society. It will be mildly totalitarian in that it will seek to halt enterprise, and change some basic conceptions, but that is the price to be paid for the survival of the human species.
                      Civ says its to build a spaceship.

Woot!

2 US companies on the threshold of first private spaceflights pending FAA.
                      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Well, as far as I know, no planet has yet been discovered that is suitable for settlement.

Comment

The problem is not people. The problem is the consumption by each individual.

Sure it is!! ATM only a fraction is consuming, imagine if the whole words population would start consuming to US or European levels.
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

That is a gross overstatement. The problem is not people. The problem is the consumption by each individual. Capitalism is driven by feeding wholly artificial needs. Why else commercials?

The state needs to intervene and shift the worlds production of consumer goods into ecological solutions.
                            if the choice is between less ppl and us all living in 150 story apartment buildings like rats scared to consume things because the earth will collapse.

I vote less ppl.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                              The problem is not people. The problem is the consumption by each individual.

Sure it is!! ATM only a fraction is consuming, imagine if the whole words population would start consuming to US or European levels.

There is room for everyone. But the people must understand that it will mean a life comparable to the average North Korean citizen.

But that will only be for a half a generation. After that science will have found solutions to many problems.

They already have. For instance Volkswagen has developed a car that runs 100 kilometres per litre of gasoline. If every European was given such a car, many problems would be solved.

Comment

So you are basically asking me to go and live in a cage for the 50 years???

How about slowing breeding habits somewhat?
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X