The Economist: Let the Dollar Fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yavoon

if the choice is between less ppl and us all living in 150 story apartment buildings like rats scared to consume things because the earth will collapse.

I vote less ppl.
    Ok you are voted out then.

Comment

Originally posted by Tripledoc

Ok you are voted out then.
      communism. the ideal that everyone's life should suck.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
        So you are basically asking me to go and live in a cage for the 50 years???

How about slowing breeding habits somewhat?
        You don't know anything about North Korea.

Yes, each family can only have one child.

Comment

Originally posted by yavoon

communism. the ideal that everyone's life should suck.
          Fascism. The idea that we should all go on a killing spree.

Comment

Well, as far as I know, no planet has yet been discovered that is suitable for settlement.
            That's only true if you have a narrowly-defined view of what's suitable. Humanity has a proven talent for creating favorable environments where ever we need them. We just need to stretch it.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Fascism. The idea that we should all go on a killing spree.
              so fascism is the solution to avoid communism?

(for the slow, the joke is that fascism will kill the excess ppl so we don't need to live like dirt poor communists)

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                So you are basically asking me to go and live in a cage for the 50 years???

How about slowing breeding habits somewhat?
                Our "breeding habits" have already slowed considerably in most developed nations -- in fact, many would now be in negative growth were it not for immigration.

Some nations will be facing a very severe age gap in the decades ahead because of this.

Oddly enough, prosperity = slower population growth.

Comment

and even more oddly, slower population growth = less prosperity.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                    and even more oddly, slower population growth = less prosperity.
                    The proof?
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hah?

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

The proof?
                        its pretty generally true(not to say its cause and effect).

Comment

Well, as far as I know, no planet has yet been discovered that is suitable for settlement.
                          There's always Chiron

Yeah, if I could do it I'd ban all SUVs, trucks, hummers, and other vehicles that guzzles gas except for those with exceptional gas per km/mile. If someone can prove there's a need for a such vehicle such as for farming or whatnot, he'd have to apply for a permit to purchase a such vehicle and it'd be expensive. Hummers are popping up everywhere where I live and it's so dismaying. Waste of gas and materials.

Also, the entire populace would be put on birth control. If an individual wish to have a child, again, that person would need to apply for the waiver. That way the State can control the birth rate. Ah it won't happen, at least not today.
                          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                            How do you know that it is not the other way around?

Slower population growth=prosperity

Comment

How do you know that it is not the other way around?

Slower population growth=prosperity
                              I think its pretty obvious one lagged the other.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk

Our "breeding habits" have already slowed considerably in most developed nations -- in fact, many would now be in negative growth were it not for immigration.

Some nations will be facing a very severe age gap in the decades ahead because of this.

Correct. More developed a nation become, more the birth rate drops. The States along with some European nations have ballooning elderly population. In the States, it's a concern because the working force is not large enough to support the social security needs of the elderly population and by the time they become senior citizens themselves, there'll be nothing left in the social security pot for them.

Most of the global population growth is in the developing nations especially in Africa. That's why the 'First World' nations need to get their act together and focus on developing the 'Third World' countries in order to encourage their population growth rates to drop. It's not that simple although, there are social and cultural factors to consider.
                                Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Working...
                                X