No announcement yet.

Most Lucrative College Degrees '04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a link covering only one industry, one filled with technical people as well:

Noitce how the product desing guys in general make less than the marketing guys, even before other compensations are figured in.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
      Here is a link covering only one industry, one filled with technical people as well:

Noitce how the product desing guys in general make less than the marketing guys, even before other compensations are figured in.

This is for one industry, compared to the figures I've shown which are nation wide for all industries. Further, the salaries between "product design" and "marketing" are nearly identical, but you also forgot about "R&D", which is where all the magic happens, where it has a substantial salary premium over, say, marketing.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Adding Marketing for GePap.

Here's some more statistics. Warning: Canadian dollars for a Canadian job market.

Economics:
        Average Salary: 2 years after grad: $31,600 5 years: $41,100
        Unemployment rate: 2 years: 16% 5 years: 7%

Computer Science:
        Average salary: 2 years after grad: $40,050 5 years: $46,100
        Unemployment rate: 2 years: 5% 5 years: 4%

Marketing:
        Average salary: 2 years after grad: $29,700 5 years: $32,500
        Unemployment rate: 2 years: 5% 5 years: 4%
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

and R&D guy on average end up barely ahead of the Legal guys, and the Corporate managers lead, of course.

Here is a nice link following students out of one university and comparing what fields they followed:

So a couple of year in business school, as oposed to college for a degree, and you get even more money!

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
            and R&D guy on average end up barely ahead of the Legal guys, and the Corporate managers lead, of course.

Here is a nice link following students out of one university and comparing what fields they followed:

So a couple of year in business school, as oposed to college for a degree, and you get even more money!
            Do you realize you've linked to a report by a business school for the average salaries of their MBA graduates ...?

And do you also realize that people from a technical background also can apply for and gain admission to MBA programs, just like those from a non-technical background?

My friend's boyfriend just finished his Biotech Engineering degree and is doing his MBA right now at my school...

Comment

What specific point are the two of you trying to prove, exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Do you realize you've linked to a report by a business school for the average salaries of their MBA graduates ...?

And do you also realize that people from a technical background also can apply for and gain admission to MBA programs, just like those from a non-technical background?

My friend's boyfriend just finished his Biotech Engineering degree and is doing his MBA right now at my school...
                Yes, I do. So can some guy with a poliscie degree.

The question is, will a guy with a Pol Sci degree who then got an MBA make more money than a computer engineering degree holder who did not?

And will you boyfriend do significantly better than perhaps the philosphy guy sitting next to him also earning an MBA?

Or will an anthorpologist mayor who then went to law school and became an attorney-were will he end up?

Which is why I say, look for info several years down the road, becuase in fact any professional training will greatly skew things- and if all those coputer guys are content with 50K a year and don;t go get MBA's, well, they will not long term be in the big big earners.

Comment

What these things don't tell you is the average salary years down the track.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Zylka
                    What specific point are the two of you trying to prove, exactly?
                    I successfully proved that it is not the case that only "rarely" do people with technical degrees make lots of money later on. The implication by GePap was technical degrees don't offer the same career growth as non-technical degrees, which has thoroughly been debunked and all that he can do is link to a report by a business school with MBA results, which are available to technical and non-technical people alike.

Which is why I say, look for info several years down the road, becuase in fact any professional training will greatly skew things- and if all those coputer guys are content with 50K a year and don;t go get MBA's, well, they will not long term be in the big big earners.
                    I've shown that in addition to having a higher starting salary, those "computer" guys also get significant salary raises each year so they're definitely very competitive.

And for the record, you should go dig up the December 2003 issue of "Canadian Business" somehow. There is a great article with lots of facts and figures about how MBAs have fallen from being great to useless in about 5 years. Salaries included.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                      What these things don't tell you is the average salary years down the track.
                      Which has also been discussed in this thread.

Agathon is an example of somebody with a non-technical degree that would get nowhere in a corporate environment...

Comment

Aggy can come work in my Toronto firm as staff aggravant sometime 2010ish

Though I need pics of the wife first.. we're going to do a lot of office swinger parties at Zylcorp

Comment

One of the fields that is quickly increasing in importance and demand is computational biology / bioinformatics. Given the number of new DNA, mRNA, rRNA, etc sequences that are entered into Genbank every day, there needs to be data mining optimizations, sequence alignment analysis, etc. Also, there exist algorithms which attempt to construct evolutionary phylogenetic trees (usually based on ribosomal RNA sequences) and RNA/protein folding to discover the structure of these molecules.

Hopefully when I finish my degrees next semester I'll be able to find something like that to do

Comment

Reminds me of the internship job I applied to yesterday.

Pyxis Genomics Canada is seeking a Computer Science student for a 4-month co-op placement beginning in May. The student will provide bioinformatics support to research scientists in a fast-paced corporate environment.

The primary duties will include:
                            * Assist in the development of an oligonucelotide-based microarray
                            * Design, validate, and implement new computational analysis tools and approaches for interpreting large amounts of biological data.
                            * Apply state-of-the-art data mining and statistical inference tools to the analysis of integrated data sets for metabolic pathway reconstruction and the elucidation of biological function and disease mechanism.
                            * Maintain database of genomic information.

The successful candidate will possess:
                            * Advanced skills in both programming and scripting languages, in particular Java and Perl.
                            * Familiarity with database theory; Experience with the design, implementation, and optimization of databases.
                            * Knowledge of data mining and statistical analysis techniques.
                            * Familiarity with Unix-based operating systems.
                            * A desire to be challenged and grow as a programmer.

Comment

What it also doesn't tell you is that the computer guys' jobs are all being shipped off to India.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Good luck, supposedly they pay well too

I'm currently working with one of the professors at UT on developing algorithms for RNA folding nucleation... pretty interesting stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X