Most Lucrative College Degrees '04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that Canadian or real dollars?
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      Is that Canadian or real dollars?
      The salary figures in the first post? US dollars.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

The Globe and Mail say Roughnecks are making CDN$20/hr...

That's the base minimum a place like Precision (who treat most they don't know like a number) make

Realistic when you're getting an in; which is how median employment operates - is closer to a month or two lasting 29$, plus HUGE overtime when working 12+ hour shifts.

But since you're so set on telling the world that you're "on top" of the game with a wink at the end - I'll drop it. Just remember - even your average scumbag crack dealer makes a grand a day. Industry reality of all forms mean it doesn't always last; so rather brag when it does

Comment

Seeing as I wouldn't make a living doing anything illegal or risking a limb or working insane hours in dirty places with a bunch of rednecks, I think I'm good.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Bah -- live on the edge, Asher!!!!!!!
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

OH WELL AREN'T WE JUST PEACHY THEN

Comment

I also disagree with the statement that they "rarely" rise to the extremes, virtually all of my friends have parents "technical" degrees and they make very, very good money.
                I have to agree with him on this one since I'm one of those examples.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                  I have to agree with him on this one since I'm one of those examples.
                  You being one of the examples does not make it the case that only "rarely" do people with technical degrees make very good money near the top.

Comment

You know Asher, it is nice to see you know a bunch of people in the oil industry- a few caveats:

most people in the world, canada or the US or anywhere else, don;t happen to work in the oil industry, or other similar industries. they are hardly ever indicative of anything that can be termed as average.

Most people with technical degree will end up working for serivce industries, NOT companies dragging out the mineral wealth of the world. Or do you disgagree with this premise?

To continue- in most service sector jobs, the big money is in management, and there is a huge pool of people in non-technical fields in such campanies that in general move up faster than tech people, if only becuase tech are more necessary where they are then these other workers.

Even Zylka pointed out that yearly salary is not perhaps the best amount to use: for example, in NYC there are sanitation workers who, with overtime, make well over 60k a year their first year, no degree necessary.

So again, if the issue is which degrees lead to the greatest financial success (as opposed to, perhaps, financial security)-that chart you provided is a lousy one to use.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

With architecture hovering somewhere around entrance of 6,400 Pesos annually - I wonder where my secondary of Advertising would be included. Ming?

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                        most people in the world, canada or the US or anywhere else, don;t happen to work in the oil industry, or other similar industries. they are hardly ever indicative of anything that can be termed as average.
                        How is how an oil company chooses management any different from how, say, a technological company chooses management? You choose the more qualified people with relevant experience in what they're managing. You don't hire an economics graduate to manage a bunch of software engineers, for example. You don't hire an economics graduate to manage a bunch of civil engineers, either. Some do, I'm sure, but I'm also sure that's not a good idea.

When you look at most full-out technology companies, their managers mostly have technical degrees -- not business, marketing, economics, english, history, whatever...

So again, if the issue is which degrees lead to the greatest financial success (as opposed to, perhaps, financial security)-that chart you provided is a lousy one to use.
                        By the same token, you have provided nothing at all to disprove that starting salaries have a formidable effect on somebody's wealth.

Comment

By the same token, you have provided nothing at all to disprove that starting salaries have a formidable effect on somebody's wealth.
                          It indeed does - but not to the self assured degree you'd like to convey. We're number 1!

Comment

Here's some more statistics. Warning: Canadian dollars for a Canadian job market.

Economics:
                            Average Salary: 2 years after grad: $31,600 5 years: $41,100
                            Unemployment rate: 2 years: 16% 5 years: 7%

Computer Science:
                            Average salary: 2 years after grad: $40,050 5 years: $46,100
                            Unemployment rate: 2 years: 5% 5 years: 4%

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                              Yes! Liberal arts is UP!
                              Amusingly, at about the same rate as inflation.

Comment

Nice to see econ staying above the 40 K/ year threshold.

I would note that perhaps some of the non-technical degree may be skewed low here. Many of them work for the government, which while it does not pay as well does offer numberous other benefits, such as good health care/ pension system.
                                "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Working...
                                X