No announcement yet.

Free Will, Where Does It Come From?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with all that. It isn't a secodary phenominon. It is, however, chaotic, and thus given the same circumstances, it will react the same. We can choose, it is just what we have chosen that is already decided. The fact we are subjective helps this. We are subjective, because we cannot know what the future is. But if there was an objective, it would be possible. The conciousness is important, but that doesn't mean it's not determined. It is chaotic, not random.
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

(1) The science of physics defines for us what is meant by the term physical reality.

(2) Physics is based on data from physical measurements.

(3) Anything that cannot be physically measured is treated in physics as not having physical reality. Note in this regard that the major advances of 20th century physics -relativity, quantum mechanics, particle physics, and quantum thermodynamics, have all come from recognizing this subtle limitation that exists on the nature of physical measurement and physical reality.

(4) Therefore, if it is not possible to physically measure something, then it either does not exist, or we must treat it as being nonphysical.

(5) There exists something that, under certain circumstances, we experience and call pain (quite apart from any theory of consciousness, this is our basic datum).

(6) It is impossible to carry out any physical measurement to determine the answer to the meaningful (albeit facetious) question: Does an ice cube feel pain when it melts?

[I.e., does any given physical system have an associated conscious experience when that system undergoes any specified physical process?]

(7) Therefore, since the conscious experience of feeling pain exists (quite apart from any ability on our part to account for its nature), but cannot be physically measured (although so-called correlates of it can be measured), the consciousness of things like pain must lie outside the domain of physically reality.

Consciousness is real but nonphyslcal.
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

"It is chaotic, not random."

ie, non-algorithmic?
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Yes, non-algorithmic.

While neither can be predict, the difference is that a random variable is just that, random. A chaotic variable, given exactly the same input, gives the same output. It is just that if the input changes at all, then the output can change by any amount. You cannot take an input and work out an output in a chaotic system, thus it cannot be predicted, but given the same input, it will give the same output. The latter does not work if it is random: given the same input, the output is still random.
          Smile

Comment

1. Free-will is inconsistent with physics.

2. No free-will is inconsistent with morality.

Comment

Maybe your morality, but not mine.
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

Rogan: I'll take physics over morality anyday. Morality is merely an extension of our own personal emotive disposition and is nothing constant or absolute. I'd prefer to rely upon logical principles for my ethical decisions (though of course, its not a perfect world, and I dont).
                "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

If a person is no more than a collection of atoms, why is killing them (ie. rearranging these atoms a little) morally wrong?

Comment

Because of how my moral system is strucutured. It's based on the idea that coercion is immoral (which is simply a description of my emotions, not somehow rationally derived from the nature of the physical world), thus killing a human being is immoral.
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

Free will is all about consciousness, and my definition of consciousness is based on this:

http://neurognosis.com/BS%20Theory%20(full%20version%20of%20Tuscon%20III% 20paper).rtf

Its an interesting read... very neuro-biological.

Edit: can't get link to work, just cut and paste

Comment

That's alright, just reading the URL is enough.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                          That's alright, just reading the URL is enough.
                          word

Comment

Originally posted by Rogan Josh
                            1. Free-will is inconsistent with physics.

2. No free-will is inconsistent with morality.
                            Let me finish the syllogism for you:

Therefore, there is no morality if physics is correct.

Hmm, elevator worked this morning. computer is working. Looks like morality is out. Damn!
                            - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                            - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                            - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                              Maybe your morality, but not mine.

Originally posted by Rogan Josh
                              If a person is no more than a collection of atoms, why is killing them (ie. rearranging these atoms a little) morally wrong?
                              Because we say it is. The same reason why anything is ever wrong. Because humans put contraints on themselves for the benefit of society.
                              Smile

Comment

Isn't that completely arbitrary?

Why is it not beneficial to society for you to be dead?

In other words, one has to make a subjective decision about what is 'good' in order to have a moral system. Notice the word 'decision' there - you can not make a decision without free-will. Therefore there is no morality without free-will.

Comment

Working...
                                X