This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Have To Leave The North...

I've tried to make a life for myself up here but it has never worked - I have a good education and went to Oxford University - things which make me a bit of a paraia in an anti-intellectual environment like Hull. It's not like I dislike my home city but wherever I turn I just feel I am up against people who dislike me for who I am - because I talk different, because I am intelligent, because I am competent, because I am skilled. The price of property has deterred me in the past but I just don't feel there is a place for me up here - like a square peg in a round hole.

Any comments?
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

I understand completely. I was down south for 5 years before mistakenly moving to Newcastle, in the belief it was up north, and therefore was a better quality of life.

But truth is, if your not one of them (ie .. from Geordie land), you get treated like crap. Forget promotion, your work is evaluated on how strong your accent is .. etc etc ..

Now ive moved back down south, its not perfect, and I moved from a 4 bed detached to a 3 bed semi .. so I know all about the property prices, but people here are so much more accepting, opportunities are so much greater, and Ive never looked back.

Go for it ..
    "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Move to Ipswich. I need someone who can drive me home at 3 a.m. when the clubs close.
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

I just get people who dislike me because 'I am not one of them', they consider me to be intellectual, arrogant and stuck up - the brunt of this was demonstrated at Novartis Grimsby - which wasn't aided by the fact I am from Yorkshire and for some obscure reason, Lincolnshire people hate Yorkshire people, and their attitude towards me was hostile from day 1.
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Come to America -- we won't judge you by your accent.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Its so childish isn't it. I had a few people who would openly bully me, name calling, constant attempts to discredit me regardless of the issue, and each time the rest would stay silent, as if to agree with it.

When I eventually complained, after 6 months of putting up with being the football, I got such a cold response, it was as if it was all my fault for not fitting in, and not dealing with the situation.

I had the last laugh though, they became dependant on me to do some jobs, and then I put in for a transfer back to Heathrow .. ha ha ha ..

Get the hell out of there .. as i say, the south isn't perfect, but its not hostile like that.
            "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

I think you should move.
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Hi PH, you should move and there's a bunch of other stuff you should do as well.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                  Come to America -- we won't judge you by your accent.
                  Yeah, right.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Re: Why I Have To Leave The North...

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                    I've tried to make a life for myself up here but it has never worked - I have a good education and went to Oxford University - things which make me a bit of a paraia in an anti-intellectual environment like Hull. It's not like I dislike my home city but wherever I turn I just feel I am up against people who dislike me for who I am - because I talk different, because I am intelligent, because I am competent, because I am skilled. The price of property has deterred me in the past but I just don't feel there is a place for me up here - like a square peg in a round hole.

Any comments?
                    You can't be THAT intelligent or you'd be a Pariah

Anyway, don't go down south it's full of southerners

Comment

Whoa... that's strange. According to Provost, in the UK, the NORTH sucks... but in America... the SOUTH sucks.

very strange indeed!
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Hull is weird. Grimsby seems worse. In the few times I have had the misfortune to be in either place it felt really backward and strange.

I am originally from Birkenhead so it's not about being a northern seaport town, there is something else going on.

South Yorkshire is really bad too, especially the natives in Sheffield - hill folks if you get what I mean. Apart from the locals Sheffield is overrun with ex-students who have failed to get out.

It isn't your accent, or where you are from - it's your attitude and frame of mind that really decides how people treat you.
                        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Hull I can handle, Grimsby I can't...not only that, the place is an absolute sh*thole. I've never been overly impressed by Sheffield either. But all I am waiting for is the right opportunity...
                          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Well the city that's currently your favoured horrorshow (Bristol) is one that has a long-standing reputation for being highly laid-back about migrants. That's probably the cannabis, of course....

Cardiff is also a very cosmopolitan place, as long as you steer clear of the dodgy bits.
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Now I like Cardiff, I thought it was a cool place. Like any other major city in staying clear of the dodgy bits...
                              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                              X