If the US civil war was fought today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PLATO

Yes, by the sons and daughters of those who witnessed the actual events. Where did you get you education on the matter?
    From historians such as:

Eric Foner
    McPherson
    David Blight and several other professional historians who know their stuff.

And their work, in turn, are based on primary sources from the South, and from the North at the time of the Civil War and Reconstruction.

I can see if I can locate quotes from Confederate leaders who vehemently argued that slavery had to be preserved at all costs.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Good -- I got the last word.

Comment

• No you didn't.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• damn you

Comment

• *cg points at MrFun an does a Nelson laugh.

"HA ha!"
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

From the mouths of the people who actually engaged in those events. So, I use primary sources, you play the telephone game. Which one is more likely to be accurate?
              Didn't realize you were so old...
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by PLATO

Didn't realize you were so old...
                He doesn't have to be to read transcripts of the debates of the Southern governments- for instance in Charles P. Roland's 'The Confederacy' in the Chicago History of American Civilization or John Hope Franklin's 'Reconstruction: After the Civil War' in the same series.

The Civil War documentary series also had actors reading out the letters and speeches of people such as Mary Chestnut. The tirades of politicians such as Louis T. Wigfall and Robert M. T. Hunter in the Southern House opposing even the arming of Southern slaves and eventually emancipating them on the South's possibly winning the war, show how against ignorance, the gods themselves contend in vain....
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun

I can see if I can locate quotes from Confederate leaders who vehemently argued that slavery had to be preserved at all costs.
                  Try: http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/causes.html

If it suits you please bookmark it. I get tire of continually gredging it back up for these endless debates over the obvious.
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor

This is the problem with most wars. And this is one of the reasons why I oppose American wars in general: most Americans seem to believe "oh this will only last for a short time and be done with it".
                    Sounds very much like the majority sentiment in Europe in 1914 and 1939! Weren't your boys supposed to be home by Christmas? You're not very differnent are you?
                    I strongly think the long-term dispositions of the Arab world toward the US are deeply wonded, just like there is a wound of the Civil War in the US.
                    No, the emotional rift between North and South began when the first Northern state abolished slavery. Southerners hated abolition, even in someone else's satate. The felt personally insulted because deep down they knew that the prohibition of slavery in other states represented a moral judgement against them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                      One of those preachers is still nationally prominent.
                      Ooh, name names! Please!
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Try: http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/causes.html

If it suits you please bookmark it. I get tire of continually gredging it back up for these endless debates over the obvious.
                        Oooooh . . . . . I'm salivating now.

Thanks -- consider it bookmark.

** makes note to note specific pages from his own library of such quotes **

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Ooh, name names! Please!
                          I'm betting Graham or Falwell.

Or both!
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer

I'm betting Graham or Falwell.

Or both!
                            I ain't sayin' nuthin'. I've already got a reputation down home, and if'n it gets out that I'm a squealin' my life won't be worth pig stuff.

In the 1950s and 1960s Billy Graham became a master at fence straddling whenever the subject of civil rights came up. He meticulously avoided making statements that might have implied sympathy for segregationists, but on the other hand he deplored the disorderliness of the protests of the era and skillfully used them as examples to his advantage.

Comment

Sounds very much like the majority sentiment in Europe in 1914 and 1939! Weren't your boys supposed to be home by Christmas? You're not very differnent are you?
                              The main difference being that we learned of our mistakes
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• C'mon, Doc. We both know you're the only one within a 50 mile radius who comes to Poly. Spill it; it probably won't be a shocking answer, anyway.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X