Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Uh oh, Yellowstone Caldera Awakens

Originally posted by Berzerker
    Just saw on the MSNBC scroll of several earthquakes hitting NW Wyoming. Apparently not big quakes, but is the Yellowstone caldera awakening? That's the last thing we need, but if it does go, better during the winter than crop season...
    I'm going to blame Canada for this.

I can't blame Iraq, because I'm already blaming Iraq for this asteroid that is suppose to brush by Earth in 2014.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

like anyone here knows anything. gezzz.

the odds are always on the side of nothing is going to happen for thousands of years to come. and if it does... you probably want to be more than 100 miles away. thats about it. six feet! where did this come from?? kinda depends on a lot of factors - which no one here can say.

Comment

I guess we have to talk about something else, then.

How 'bout them Leafs?
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by My Wife Hates CIV
          like anyone here knows anything. gezzz.

the odds are always on the side of nothing is going to happen for thousands of years to come. and if it does... you probably want to be more than 100 miles away. thats about it. six feet! where did this come from?? kinda depends on a lot of factors - which no one here can say.
          And the reason we should take anything seriously from someone who has a hand-drawn cartoon dumping a piece of sh*t is because . . . . . .??
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
            Well, flee to Europe for one.
            That's alright then, I already live in Europe.

Actually it isn't. A large but normal volcanic eruption in Iceland early 15thC wiped out 1/3 of the population there and caused the "year without summer" in Europe. When the caldera blows it is going to throw enough dust and gases into the atmosphere to virtually stop food production for several years across the whole planet. How big is your freezer?

The best hope is that it doesn't happen within the next 100 years. Then none of us are likely to be directly concerned.
            Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

The "Year Without a Summer" in Europe was 1884, after Krakatoa exploded, IIRC.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
                When the caldera blows it is going to throw enough dust and gases into the atmosphere to virtually stop food production for several years across the whole planet. How big is your freezer?
                With the kind of weather we'll have the whole place is going to be one big mother******* freezer.
                What?

Comment

I believe the last time they know Yellowstone blew was ~750,000 years ago. They were able to chart the ash fall and it covered everything east of the blast spreading out at roughly 60-70 angles, but not much into Canada as I recall the map.

Comment

When the caldera blows it is going to throw enough dust and gases into the atmosphere to virtually stop food production for several years across the whole planet. How big is your freezer?
                    I doubt it, they can't see any significant extinction from the last time it blew. But given how the US is the biggest food supplier it could put a dent in world food production and definitely some starvation with such a large world population to feed.

Comment

"Three gigantic caldera eruptions rocked the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. The first and largest, Huckleberry Ridge caldera, blew up about 2.1 million years ago. Its center was in western Yellowstone National Park, but it extended into Island Park, Idaho. Welded tuff from this cycle is called the Huckleberry Ridge Tuff. The yellow rocks along the road in Golden Gate between Mammoth Hot Springs and Swan Lake Flats are Huckleberry Ridge Tuff. So are the tuffs that hold up much of Signal Mountain in Grand Teton National Park, and that crop out along the west side of the Teton Range, in Idaho.

The second great explosion formed the Island Park caldera 1.3 million years ago. This caldera, the smallest of the three, lies just west of Yellowstone in Idaho, within the western part of the Huckleberry Ridge caldera.

The youngest caldera, Lava Creek, erupted the Lava Creek Tuff, 0.65 million years old. It overlaps the Huckleberry Ridge caldera, but its eastern margin is about 10 miles farther east. Because it is the youngest, its tuffs and associated lava flows are best exposed and its history best known. Its eruption may have destroyed the south part of the Washburn Range."
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Just think - Wyoming, Montana and Idaho wiped from the map. Would anyone actually notice?
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Just think - Wyoming, Montana and Idaho wiped from the map. Would anyone actually notice?
                          Time to break out the party hats, just as long as we get our resident Photoshop Expert out of Montana in time.
                          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

How big is your freezer

well considering I could store food just outside my door and it would be colder than in my inside freezer, I'd have to say my freezer is pretty damn big, unless its summer time, well no even then its pretty damn big its all relative to how much digging I want to do....

I wonder what would happen to the fishes in the ocean....

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us
                              I wonder what would happen to the fishes in the ocean....
                              Good question. I guess they would still be there.
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

well as long as there are fishes, a small percentage of the world could live through such a catastrophic event, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X