• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tripledoc
    Like Allende?
    Like Japan and Nazi Germany, and the USSR

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

So, physically abused wives and husbands will continutally say they love their spouse, and very often will return to them again and again... only to be beaten up, again and again. Its like battered wives syndrome, doesn't mean they actually like him (Saddam, et al) or even approve of what he does.
      Yes, that's why people keep electing Republican Administrations.

If you don't allow the voting public to make mistakes, then what you have is no longer a recognizable democracy.

My point is that many Iraquis benefitted under Saddam and many more probably quite liked him as a ruler. I mean, Margaret Thatcher was loathed by a large proportion of Britons, but many people liked her, including many among those who did worst under her regime.

You can't tell me that any working class person in their right mind would vote for Thatcher (or Bush for that matter), but they do. As my old teacher Mr Morrison used to say, "People are Strange".
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Many Germans (who were in the Nazi party) benefitted from Hitler. What's your point? That slavers have helpers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon

Yes, that's why people keep electing Republican Administrations.

If you don't allow the voting public to make mistakes, then what you have is no longer a recognizable democracy.

My point is that many Iraquis benefitted under Saddam and many more probably quite liked him as a ruler. I mean, Margaret Thatcher was loathed by a large proportion of Britons, but many people liked her, including many among those who did worst under her regime.

You can't tell me that any working class person in their right mind would vote for Thatcher (or Bush for that matter), but they do. As my old teacher Mr Morrison used to say, "People are Strange".
          You're right, but Bush didn't get 99.9% of the vote, hell he didn't even get 50%, which suggests some kind of a democratic process in which people are not afraid to express their opinions.

But when Saddam, a known, ruthless dictator, gets nearly 100% of the vote of a 30 million person electorate, you have to wonder...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sprayber
            After a century of holding populations down from Ireland to Africa, it's about time the Brits got this peacekeeping thing down right.
            Amen, I hate when nations are put on a pedastol, especially ones with such tainted histories.

Comment

• who would you choose?
              I would choose the Iraqi information minister. As you said, his lies are outright. Rummys lies use truth to try to cloak it up. In fact, the Iraqi information minister would be a better source of information.

Thats what I thought...
              SITUATION A: I choose rummuy.
              "See? You WOULD choose rummy cause you know he's more reliable!"

SITUATION B: I choose the information minister.
              "See? I KNEW you would choose him because your a godless, infidel commienazi!"

just out and out lied.
              (name one politician anywhere who doesn't),

but you know Tass hates everything and anything that comes out of the US,
              I didn't used to. It's just that your nation has been poisoned to the point where almost anything you touch turns dark and wretched.
              It really is not my fault however. If you want someone to blame, look at your own people.

xenophobia irks me.

The irony....

and the USSR
              Sorry, but the people of the Soviet Union fried the USSR.
              It's interesting watching Americans try to take the "credit" for the fall of the USSR...."Well, Reagan gave that speech! "
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

• Sorry, but the people of the Soviet Union fried the USSR.
                Uh..

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

You're right, but Bush didn't get 99.9% of the vote, hell he didn't even get 50%, which suggests some kind of a democratic process in which people are not afraid to express their opinions.

But when Saddam, a known, ruthless dictator, gets nearly 100% of the vote of a 30 million person electorate, you have to wonder...
                  I agree, I'm only claiming that if there were free and fair elections in Iraq today and Saddam stood as a candidate, he would get a lot of votes. Hell, he might even win, if there were no obvious challenger.

Now that would be funny.

Of course, that's why he's prohibited from running.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Verto

Uh..
                    Yes?

Comment

• Nothing.

Comment

• OK.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon

I agree, I'm only claiming that if there were free and fair elections in Iraq today and Saddam stood as a candidate, he would get a lot of votes. Hell, he might even win, if there were no obvious challenger.

Now that would be funny.

Of course, that's why he's prohibited from running.
                          Who prevented Saddam or anyone else from running for what?
                          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

I didn't used to. It's just that your nation has been poisoned to the point where almost anything you touch turns dark and wretched.
                            It really is not my fault however. If you want someone to blame, look at your own people.
                            Um, "everything" my nation touches turns "dark and wretched?" How so? You refute my claim that you indiscriminately hate everything out of the US by saying that everything I touch turns dark and wretched? Ok...

The irony....
                            How is that ironic? I called you a xenophobe and you are. I'm an American living abroad (see the flag), and I've never put down a country in general for no reason. How would you construe that as me being a xenophobe?

Sorry, but the people of the Soviet Union fried the USSR.
                            It's interesting watching Americans try to take the "credit" for the fall of the USSR...."Well, Reagan gave that speech! "
                            What? What does the USSR have to do with anything?

Comment

• Um, "everything" my nation touches turns "dark and wretched?" How so? You refute my claim that you indiscriminately hate everything out of the US by saying that everything I touch turns dark and wretched? Ok...

How is that ironic? I called you a xenophobe and you are. I'm an American living abroad (see the flag), and I've
                              Perhaps I'll give myself a 9/10, simply because I got your blood pumping

What? What does the USSR have to do with anything?
                              The US simply cannot take credit for the destruction of the USSR. It may have helped but so did many other nations.

Comment

• Sole credit, no. The largest share, yes, thank you very much.

Of course it helped that they were saddled with the biggest piece-of-**** useless ideology known to man.

Comment

Working...
                                X