Libya announces end to all weapons programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ned
    Howard Dean, " I congratulate Prime Minister Blair and the US negotiators on their success in persuading Moammar Kaddafi to give up his weapons of mass destruction and allow inspectors to verify compliance. I only hope that these inspectors are UN inspectors and not American inspectors because only UN inspectors would have any credibility in the international community. When the UN inspectors said that Saddam Hussein had no weapons of mass destruction, they were right. We should have trusted them rather than trust the war mongering Bush administration. This is why we need the UN to lead this effort because we cannot trust Bush."
    I guess Dean can't count backwards either...

In a televised address from London, England, Blair said Gadhafi had approached British and U.S. officials in March to see if they could resolve the issue of its weapons programs.

March... March... was there anything going on in the ME at that time that might've effected this change of heart?

Comment

Hmmm... March... ??
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber

Hirohito has what do to do with this? I'm sure you can bring something up that has happened a little more recently.
        Hirohito was the Emperor of WW2 Japan, but he was allowed to stay in power after the war, all the way into his death just a few years ago. Kadhafi was considered to be in the same league as Saddam and Osama. US even air bombed his private residence, but now it seems like he will be forgiven. I don't know if it's good or bad. I can say for sure that forgiving Hirohito made the world a better place, as the Japanese followed his lead and became friends of America. Forgiving Saddam would probably not have the same effect though...

At least I'm sure my neighbours 300 meters away from where I sit now will not forgive Kadhafi for Lockerbie, despite a 10 M$ damage tribute. Their daughter died in the chrash, and no tributes or excuses will bring her back.
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
          Howard Dean, " I congratulate Prime Minister Blair and the US negotiators on their success ..."
          Not Blair and Bush. Uh huh.

Deanspeak.
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

[deadly give away]
            Spoiler:
            Ooooh, ooh, I know!!! I know!!! They attacked Iraq - a country with a WMD program!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
              Howard Dean, " I congratulate Prime Minister Blair and the US negotiators on their success in persuading Moammar Kaddafi to give up his weapons of mass destruction and allow inspectors to verify compliance. I only hope that these inspectors are UN inspectors and not American inspectors because only UN inspectors would have any credibility in the international community. When the UN inspectors said that Saddam Hussein had no weapons of mass destruction, they were right. We should have trusted them rather than trust the war mongering Bush administration. This is why we need the UN to lead this effort because we cannot trust Bush."
              While Dean seems to be an idiot in the same league (but on the opposite side) as Bush, he is right on this topic. Hans Blix is about to be choosen as Scandinavian of the Year. UN was right, and you were wrong.
              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Chem Ollie - Lockerbie is just one incident. Gadaffi iirc is not as crazy as saddam, and ever since he was attacked, there weren't claims of him being involved in terrorism.

It's his WMD programs that are scary.

Comment

Problem is that Hirohito was nothing more than a prop for his war-mongering generals (Tojo, etc) and did not, himself, plan Japan's WW2 strategy. Leaving him in place was OK as it wasn't him who started the war.

Comment

Ooooh, ooh, I know!!! I know!!! They attacked Iraq - a country with a WMD program!!!
                    Uhh... there's a problem. Iraq had no WMD program immediately before the 2003 war. According to information currently available, it was destroyed in 1991.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
                      Chem Ollie - Lockerbie is just one incident. Gadaffi iirc is not as crazy as saddam, and ever since he was attacked, there weren't claims of him being involved in terrorism.

It's his WMD programs that are scary.
                      Lockerbie was Europe's 9/11. Don't under-estimate our hatred for Libya after it.

Comment

Chem - Saddam had a year and a half from 9/11 when Bush first threatened him, to prepare and hide evidence of his programs, or even destroy them completely.

Why did he make it hard for the UN inspectors then?- probably so they won't find out that he had a program until very recently.

Comment

Why did he make it hard for the UN inspectors then?- probably so they won't find out that he had a program until very recently.
                          Because the US was using them to spy on him, and he knew it.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                            Problem is that Hirohito was nothing more than a prop for his war-mongering generals (Tojo, etc) and did not, himself, plan Japan's WW2 strategy. Leaving him in place was OK as it wasn't him who started the war.
                            The Emperor of Austria did not start WW1 either.

Comment

Chem - Saddam had a year and a half from 9/11 when Bush first threatened him, to prepare and hide evidence of his programs, or even destroy them completely.
                              Uhh... so, if he destroyed the programme, what was the reason for attack?

Comment

Because he's an imbecil idiot (I'm drunk, expect a more serious answer another day)

EDIT: Agathon is not yet as drunk as me. (he's 6 hours behind) What he said...

Comment

Working...
                                X