Libya announces end to all weapons programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libya announces end to all weapons programs

Apparently, they're doing this to get trade with the US. They're also acknowledging that they had them in the first place. Bush is going to speak in a few moments.
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

ha...he called him "moo-more al kadaafi"
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Umm... does it matter?

EDIT: Uh, this sounds pretty stupid first other-than-thread-starter-post. This comment was mainly inspired by:
      Bush is going to speak in a few moments.
      Why the hell would president hold a speech because some nation gives up it's WMD programme? Did anyone outside UN hold a special speech when Pakistan acquired nuclear weaponry?
      Last edited by RGBVideo; December 19, 2003, 19:22.

Comment

Damn, talk about coming out of left field.
        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Why? We've shown what we'll do to countries that violate UN sanctions and ignore the "decent respect to the opinions of mankind". Note that they didn't bother negotiating to the French and Germans, but rather the UK and US.

I wonder why... ?

Comment

Obviously this was done out of fear and respect for the United Nations and had nothing to do with Blair and Bush taking out Saddam.
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

The speak-loud-while-carrying-a-big-stick policy certainly has its effects

Comment

Obviously.

Edit: Response to Ned.

Comment

So I guess all them people who said that diplomacy could never make a utball dictator disarm were wrong then

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
                    So I guess all them people who said that diplomacy could never make a utball dictator disarm were wrong then
                    It's not that it could never work. It's just that the dictator had to be willing to actually negotiate instead of stall.
                    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

America has forgiven Hirohito too.
                      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
                        I heard on the tube that negotiations began 9 months ago. That would make it late March, early April when the negotiations began. Methinks events to the east of Libya had something to do with the opening of said negotiations, dontcha think?

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                          America has forgiven Hirohito too.
                          Hirohito has what do to do with this? I'm sure you can bring something up that has happened a little more recently.

Comment

Howard Dean, " I congratulate Prime Minister Blair and the US negotiators on their success in persuading Moammar Kaddafi to give up his weapons of mass destruction and allow inspectors to verify compliance. I only hope that these inspectors are UN inspectors and not American inspectors because only UN inspectors would have any credibility in the international community. When the UN inspectors said that Saddam Hussein had no weapons of mass destruction, they were right. We should have trusted them rather than trust the war mongering Bush administration. This is why we need the UN to lead this effort because we cannot trust Bush."
                            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

(from the other thread...)
                              if i remember correctly iraq wasn't wholly co-operative with the UN inspectors
                              This seems to be a common phrase.

Could someone tell me, that if Iraq had no these famous WMD's, then why were they 'not wholly co-operating' with the weapon inspectors? And what does that phrase even mean, anyway?

According to Hans Blix, leader of the UN weapons inspector team:
                              This would indicate that since there were no weapons to be found, UN team was pushed to make false claims about the level of co-operation by Iraqi officials.

The whole "they didn't co-operate" -thing has been bugging me for a while.

OTOH, this is threadjacking.
                              EDIT: link added
                              Last edited by RGBVideo; December 19, 2003, 19:24.

Comment

Working...
                              X