No announcement yet.

Americans: Please express your opinion on Gay Marriage in this poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got news for those guys -- many heterosexuals have long-since desacralized marriage.

So we should just take a big fat dump on it now that it's already been pissed on, eh?
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• No Drake -- those heterosexuals that I'm referring to, need to stop scapegoating homosexuals for what heterosexuals have already fvcked up.

Not that recognizing gay marriage would make things worse, but I'm playing "devil's advocate" from their pathetic logic.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• it's not that, drake.

it's the fact that the logic behind the argument that homosexual marriage will destroy the institution is pure bollocks.
        B♭3

Comment

• There's really no way to prove it one way or the other. The effects gay marriage would have on society are too complex for anyone to really predict.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
            My choice is not listed on the poll as I favor civil unions but would give only relevant benefits to such unions. I specifically would not give such unions benefits that are intended to allow a mother to stay home and raise kids.
            I'd take this kind of benefits from all marriages away: give them to people raising children instead -regardless of whether they're married or not.
            www.civforum.de

Comment

• There's really no way to prove it one way or the other. The effects gay marriage would have on society are too complex for anyone to really predict.

no, there's no way to prove it with any certainty. but from where i'm standing, it doesn't look like most of the damage is being done by homosexuals. in fact, it doesn't even look like they're much of a threat.

remember, kids, divorces can be had for $300 and a day in court. oh, and that first marriage? you were young! you made a mistake! you're older a wiser now.
              B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                it is my contention that the ease of getting divorces (advertisements on the el now say that you can get one for under $300) for no better reason than "i don't like him anymore" does more damage to marriage than two gay men who have stayed with each other past the seven-year itch.

Is this just a statement of position on what is 'harming' marriage as an 'institution', or do you advocate making divorce harder to attain? If the former, I don't disagree (though I'm a little skeptical of viewing marriage as anything but the union of two people under the law -- talking of it as an 'institution' seems to lead to the type of arguments that those opposed to same-sex marriage make, on the basis of 'protecting the institution'. It effectively disassociates marriage from the people involved in it.). But if the latter -- what business is it of the state making it difficult for two people who no longer wish to be together to dissolve their union (even if only one of the two wish it)? Just as it isn't the state's business to vet who should & shouldn't get marriage licenses (I support same-sex marriage, for the record), it also shouldn't vet who should & shouldn't divorce.
                "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

• The NY Times poll says that most are against, and will support AN AMENDMENT to ban it.

personally, I voted for the civil unions option. well, in my mind, since the poll is for Americans, and requests E-mail.

My real question is for Mr. Fun, who seems to imply some sort of sexual preference politics going on. hint: there is no such thing. It's not "The homos vs. The heteros". If that were the case, I'd really dislike gay people, since that would mean they are working as a group or something, which is obviously not true. Just look at Asher. He's one of the 'straight'est people I've seen in quite some time. looking the gay posters on this forum, you can conclude that they're normal people. There is no 'heteros vs. homos'.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Azazel

My real question is for Mr. Fun, who seems to imply some sort of sexual preference politics going on. hint: there is no such thing. It's not "The homos vs. The heteros". If that were the case, I'd really dislike gay people, since that would mean they are working as a group or something, which is obviously not true. Just look at Asher. He's one of the 'straight'est people I've seen in quite some time. looking the gay posters on this forum, you can conclude that they're normal people. There is no 'heteros vs. homos'.
                    Well duh, Sherlock.

Why else do you think we have heterosexuals who are allied with homosexuals with concern to their issues?

Where did I say or imply it was homosexuals vs heterosexuals??
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Is this just a statement of position on what is 'harming' marriage as an 'institution', or do you advocate making divorce harder to attain? If the former, I don't disagree (though I'm a little skeptical of viewing marriage as anything but the union of two people under the law -- talking of it as an 'institution' seems to lead to the type of arguments that those opposed to same-sex marriage make, on the basis of 'protecting the institution'. It effectively disassociates marriage from the people involved in it.).

it's the former.

divorces can happen at the drop of a hat now.

the kids have to deal with the **** that comes up for the rest of their lives.

and gays are the ones harming marriage? total bollocks.
                      B♭3

Comment

• Hey at least you people can have that debate! try that in a theocracy (dont get me wrong i like greece but....) like mine. Its a step up....but its stupid! why must gays have others teling them what they can and cannot? if two people want to marry,straight or gay,they must be able to.And if someone objects because his sky fairy wrote so in an ancient book of obscure origins....well sorry! you cant keep the world back forever!
                        Devout Believer of the Invisible Pink unicorn

Comment

• And those people who say "marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman"... so you want to take away a right because of semantics?!

Comment

• so you want to take away a right because of semantics?!

You can't take away a right that never existed in the first place.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• My opinion?

Who in their right mind gives a flying **** if two other people of the same sex want to get married?

I think anyone who gets so worked up over the idea that they have to stick their fat, ignorant nose in the middle of the issue to prevent such marriages must have a sad, pathetic, empty little existence, not fit for scorn or bile, but only for pity.

By the power invested in me as a free-thinking, freedom-loving, liberty-defending American citizen, I pronounce them husband and husband, wife and wife. You may kiss each other.
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Although, it is enlightening to see how skewed the Poly community is on this issue. Most of the American conservatives (or right-moderates) on Poly are pro-gay marriage (or civil unions, at the very least). I'd like to think that all this constant hammering from the left has opened your minds, but I think I'd be flattering ourselves.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X