No announcement yet.

The fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chemical Ollie, I envy you. I wish I could go fishing, but its too cold up here for fishing to be any fun, and I dont think there are any fish worth catching in the Arctic Ocean. Maybe one day I will forget my loathing of Eskimo foods and stick out a season of whale hunting so I can have a story to tell. (but I doubt it)

Comment

anyways what kind of fishes do you guys go for?

If I had a boat, id prolly go deep and try tuna and salmon or something, but im just a student. Plus I like chilling at the pier/dock/shore as long as theres no mosquitos.

I usually chase after flukes and bluefish since I have most free time to fish in between semesters (summer time). i dont do much freshwater since i live so close to the sea.

As for fishing stories, I have a friend who once bit off a blue fish alive and with his blood and guts dripping down his mouth said "Mmmm sushi"

he also tried to swim after a fish after he lost it so close, so he's not that bright.
      :-p

Comment

Zero:
        That's much better than cigarettes
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

what is? which post of mine are u refering to?

shrooms or biting off the gut of the fish?
          :-p

Comment

As for fishing stories, I have a friend who once bit off a blue fish alive and with his blood and guts dripping down his mouth said "Mmmm sushi"
            thats sick!

When I lived in Anchorage me and my dad used to take weekend trips to Seward and go fishing off the storm walls(cant remember what they are called, the big stacks of rock). We usually only caught rockfish. One day all I could catch were starfish, the stupid things loved what we were using for bait (cant remember what it was) they were actually eating my hook not just getting snagged.

Ive also gone out on a boat with my sisters friends and thier family. We were Halibut fishing, only caught small ones though. A shark ripped one off of the girls line, that was neat. The only other intresting thing that happend that day was me getting sun burned on my face, it was a bright bright red for about two weeks.

Comment

Ah, fishing. I wish I had the money to go down south a lot more often and spend the whole summer flyfishing for trout...

Comment

I heard there's good fishing in your part of the world. Are the trout species the same as North America?
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Brown, rainbow and Fontinalis mostly. You also get a lot of perch though (MEH!).

No idea what the species are in NA though.

And IIRC there are a couple of salmon subspecies growing in frequency, which were introduced at the beginning of the 20th century.

Comment

Here's me with a stud bream I caught off the beach last year. Not in the game fish league Ollie, but this particular fish is highly prized and that's why I look rather pleased.

Caught it on white bait with a pater nosta rig.
                    Attached Files
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us
                      --- and I dont think there are any fish worth catching in the Arctic Ocean.
                      ---
                      We usually only caught rockfish. ---

We were Halibut fishing, only caught small ones though. A shark ripped one off of the girls line, that was neat.

-
                      I see a contradiction in your posts. What's wrong with halibut and shark? Catching a halibut is the wet dream of any saltwater fisherman in Scandinavia. And I like to fish in the arctic Ocean (the altlantic part). I usually make trips to arctic Norway a few days per year to catch the big ones.

Here's a 5 kg coalfish from last summer.
                      Attached Files
                      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Hey Ollie if you like the ocean fishing or "outside" as we call it down here you should come over for a visit. We get huge Yellow Fin Tuna (or "trains" ), Black and other Marlin, Sailfish, Kingfish, pretty much all the Southern Ocean pelagics. It's hot.

To give you some idea small(ish) tuna like Albacore and striped are considered baitfish down here

You hook up one of those brutes and you know you're alive

Last year a school of Bluefin tuna swam into an inlet and couldn't find their way out for a few weeks. They were busting off kids tackle and giving people with little rods and reels heart attacks

Sometimes the beachs down here are black with schools of fish - schools of mullet, Australian salmon, Taylor. It's an awesome sight with schools of sharks, tigers and hammerheads, and dolphins, herding them into the beach. Professional fishermen wading in the surf with drag nets to take them.

We don't get halibut but we do get flounder, small ones though.

This fish, the flathead is the main food fish. Strike a school of these and you can fill the boat up. The ones pictured are average ocean school size.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Alexander's Horse; December 18, 2003, 19:59.

Comment

We also get huge white pointer sharks

And whales and seals and penguins

Comment

Black Bass. I prefer top-water lures, but whatever is working. Catch and release.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I haven't fished for about a year.

A mate and I enjoy fly fishing (I consider using lures and bait to be cheating).

We've been down the Grand River a few times and attempted to catch salmon out at Port Hope. It's a bit of a task to land a salmon on a fly rod. Last time we went out I fell in the river trying to net one my friend had hooked. I managed to get the fish and admiring smiles from a group of attractive women who'd stopped to watch us. But hell, we're both married.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

yeah I had to wade into freezing water to get a brown trout after the line got caught up on weeds.

That's dedication.

Comment

Working...
                                X