Teens are diging themselfs an early grave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teens are diging themselfs an early grave

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

The party lifestyles of teenagers today could be destroying their health later in life, warn doctors.
    The British Medical Association describes their obesity, binge drinking, and promiscuity as a "potential public health timebomb".

It is calling for swift action to reverse the worsening trends in adolescent health.

It follows a prediction from England's Chief Medical Officer that children could die before their parents.

Official health statistics suggest a growing threat to child health on a number of fronts, says the BMA

The number of children with weight problems has doubled in the last two decades, with nearly one in five 15-year-olds now classed as obese.

Alcohol consumption among the young is also on the rise - some under-16s admitting drinking an average of ten units of alcohol a week, five pints of beer or ten normal glasses of wine.

Six out of ten 16 to 24-year-olds admit not using condoms and rates of certain sexually transmitted diseases is soaring among this age group.

In addition, almost a quarter of 15-year-olds are regular smokers, and cannabis has been tried by one in three.

Vivienne Nathanson, the BMA's Head of Science and Ethics said: "Young people in Britain are increasingly likely to be overweight, indulge in binge drinking, have a sexually transmitted infection and suffer mental health problems.

"It is high time we provided education and healthcare services that target the specific needs of young people.

"We need to ensure that young people do not fall in between the gap between services for children and those designed for adults."

Dr Russell Viner, from Great Ormond Street Hospital in London, was one of the authors of the BMA report.

He told a newspaper: "The report paints a bleak picture.

"It's not until you take all these figures together that you realise how worrying the situation is.

"It seems that adolescents are the only age group whose health is actually getting worse."

Obesity

The government is already considering moves to limit snack food advertising to children as experts warn of a child obesity "epidemic".
    Doctors are already seeing cases of diabetes brought on by poor diet and lack of exercise in children as young as 13.

They believe that being obese at this age increases the chance of obesity in adulthood, which is linked to a host of medical problems, including heart disease and cancer.

Dr Peter Maguire, deputy chairman of the BMA's Board of Science said: "The UK is facing a crisis in adolescent health.

"Problems such as obesity, addictions, poor mental and sexual health, all respond best to early intervention, but are not being effectively addressed.

"If we do not treat these problems when people are young they will carry poor health into adulthood."

The rise of the sex disease chlamydia is particularly worrying for doctors.

This may not cause symptoms in women - and remain hidden for years.

However, it can cause severe damage to fertility, leaving thousands unable to conceive naturally.

Campaigns

The government is spending money on campaigns to improve child health, including a free school fruit initiative.

It has published a sexual health strategy, and a teenage pregnancy strategy in an effort to reduce the UK's high rates.

However, it has faced criticism for failing to halt the selling off of school playing fields.
    Well,.....sigh....if they are right, I'm gonna die a young man. I think they are exagerating very much.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Natural selection in action!
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Good. All you little brats can live just long enough to pay for my social security and medicare, then die off before you need it.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

That's what teenager's do. It's their calling.
        Perfecting the art of stupidity.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

So far you haven't garnered much sympathy...
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Good. All you little brats can live just long enough to pay for my social security and medicare, then die off before you need it.
            What I was going to write.

Morons kill themselves -- > others celebrate.

Comment

It's depressing isn't it? I mean, was I just a late bloomer or are all kids these days alcoholic sluts?

The drinking, smoking, and pot don't surprise me. The 60% not using a condom is terrifying though. No wonder the UK has got Europe's highest rate of teen pregnancy.
              Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Two words: The 70s

They can't be any worse than all you geezers who were teens in the 70s. can they?
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Pass the shovel.
                    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Poor Spec
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

They can't be any worse than all you geezers who were teens in the 70s. can they?
                        The drugs that were commonly used were much less dangerous than the **** around today and the worse STD you could get was herpes.
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

It's depressing isn't it?
                          Actually, no.

Why should I feel bad because of stupid people, executing themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

I hit teenage in the 80s. Just i time for AIDS.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuomerehu

Actually, no.

Why should I feel bad because of stupid people, executing themselves?
                              And teenagers wonder if we old farts really have their best interests at heart.

Comment

Working...
                              X