Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And yet the Brits still claim that it's their language...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saying nothing but making it sound profound and important is most of a politician's job.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

If you did know about english you would realise that any insult in the word bastard is derived from the fact that it means you are illegiteamate.

The details of its historical derivation do not change the fact that "bastard" has, in modern usage, developed a pejorative connotation quite independent from it's original meaning.

How's that for making nothing sound important?
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Can it include smartarse
        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
        Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
          We keep the monarchy to make money from gullible American tourists who like to come and look at their palaces.
          Nonsense! We come to look and their noses.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Says the man from the country that gave the world Benny Hill.

We export all our crap for two reasons:

1) We get to exile the offender to the US.
            2) Failing 1, misery loves company.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
              Saying nothing but making it sound profound and important is most of a politician's job.
              The thread should have stopped with this statement. Rumsfield is known for hardly ever answering a question in a way the reporter wanted or making statements that will tell you very much of anything. It's not because he can't speak clearly, its because he don't want to tell anyone a damn thing.
              Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Understandably it's repulsive to say but what he said, that *restrain yourself paiktis* man at the US, was perfect clear and made perfect sense, to me atl least. There are things you know you dont know and things you dont know you dont know. perfect sense and if i dare say pretty smart, almost socratic *throws up*

I know how much fun we make out of those people who govern that country but without wanting to break up the party, in this instance it was pretty clear and wise.

Comment

I love you, paiktis.

Welcome to the dark side.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Face it, you will always be our language b*tches...

Americans speak English - however badly...

Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Face it, you will always be our language b*tches...

It's not your language either. Bloody Welsh...

Why don't you do us all a favor and just go back to Cymgwneddeistedfoddcaderidristwythglyndwrru or whatever your ****ing consonant-rich hometown is called?
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Cymgwneddeistedfoddcaderidristwythglyndwrru

It perplexes me how a country full of alcoholics could ever get by naming their towns the things they do..

Monkey!!!

Comment

That reminds me, when I was in Victoria I passed through a town called Bacchus Marsh. Why would you name your town that unless you're an alchie.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Why would you name your town that unless you're an alchie.

They most likely are alcoholics. It is Oz, after all.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ancyrean

Isn't that a VERY cumbersome way of stating the obvious? It's not a matter of whether you can wrestle some sense out of it or understand it, but rather this is really an ingenious way of saying nothing of note while expending some quite mouthful
                              No, its a way of trying to describe the vagaries and ambiguities of intelligence gathering and analysis without the use of specific examples.
                              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I understood Rumsfeld, but I must admit his repeitition was unnecessary. How's about "There are unknowns of whose existence we are unaware?". That gives the meaning much better.

The English might have invented the language, but many other people use it.
                                Last edited by Cruddy; December 4, 2003, 12:09.
                                Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                                "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Working...
                                X