Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And yet the Brits still claim that it's their language...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnT
    Of the things you don't know, you can break those into 2 categories:

a. Things you are aware of that you don't know.
    b. Things that you don't know, and are unaware that you don't know them.
    John, you are not making any sense. Did Sophie hit you over the head with the dummy stick once too often?

Things you are aware of are by definition things you know.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Wouldn't the word "aware" imply the vague acknowledging of something, whereas the word "know" would imply a precise knowledge?
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Wouldn't the word "aware" imply the vague acknowledging of something, whereas the word "know" would imply a precise knowledge?

Yes, to someone who can speak English.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
          Yes, to someone who can speak English.
          I'm sure I made at least one language mistake in my previous post, so it doesn't count
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

I would like to point out that, yet again, an American has confused British and English.

Would a moderator please correct the thread title.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

And in plain English Rummies comments translate as:

"There are things we know, there are things we need to know more about, and there are things we are completely unaware of"

Which, on retrospect, is a statement of the obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  Knowledge, precise or not, excludes something from the unknown.

Besides, "aware" does not seem to carry the connotation of vagueness.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
                    I would like to point out that, yet again, an American has confused British and English.

Would a moderator please correct the thread title.
                    But the British do speak English... as do the Irish, the Singaporeans, a great swathe of the peoples of the Indian sub-continent, and the inhabitants of this great southern land. However, nobody 'owns' English. And anyone who loves the English language should be on the look-out for dud prose... As George Orwell wrote:

" Language becomes ugly and inaccurate because our thoughts are foolish but the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts."

Perhaps Rumsfeld is subconsciously expressing a love of the Rolling Stones?

'...know know know know know know know...

know, I can't get know....

ah know know know know know know, that's what I say.... ah hey hey hey...
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

But the British do speak English... as do the Irish, the Singaporeans, a great swathe of the peoples of the Indian sub-continent, and the inhabitants of this great southern land. However, nobody 'owns' English.
                      Maybe my humour was too dry.

Comment

That's another thing I hate; British people saying their humor is "dry", instead of using the American term "not funny". Who do you think you're kidding!
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Doesn't "dry" mean "funny except for the ignorant rednecks in the colonies"?

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                            That's another thing I hate; British people saying their humor is "dry", instead of using the American term "not funny". Who do you think you're kidding!
                            Its a shame Americans need to have their humour served up to them with a big sign pointing at it saying "This is funny". I've even been to a 'recorded live in front of a studio audience' TV comedy show in America - they had to have signs that light up to let the bulk of the audience know when to "laugh" and "applause".

Comment

It's so humid in the colonies the rednecks are ignorant of the meaning of the word dry as it applies to weather or humor. "Dry" to us ignorant rednecks means we have to drive to the next county over to get beer.

This is to us a known known. The use of dry relevant to humor would be an unknown unknown, about which we wouldn't give a **** if we thought about it.

Women are a fine example of a known unknown, at least in the view of redneck men. We don't know what the hell is wrong with them and we know we never will.

Rednecks themselves are quite a fine example of an unknown known. We can't figure out why we are ignorant rednecks in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

John, you are not making any sense. Did Sophie hit you over the head with the dummy stick once too often?

Things you are aware of are by definition things you know.
                                Gotta tell you it makes sense to me. Clear sense? No, but sense. To give you examples:

a. I am aware that Sophie is with her mother, however I am unaware exactly where Sophie is. I know what I don't know.

b. If Laura was impregnated 4 nights ago, that's something I don't know that I REALLY don't know. Especially since we hadn't done it for over a week.

Otoh, I agree with the poster that of the award categories, this is the weakest of all - some years they didn't even bother to give it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X