Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And yet the Brits still claim that it's their language...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And yet the Brits still claim that it's their language...

Am I the only one who thinks Rumsfeld's comment makes perfect sense?

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- A comment last year by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on the hunt for Iraq's weapons of mass destruction was awarded the "Foot in Mouth" prize Monday by Britain's Plain English Campaign.

Rumsfeld, renowned for his uncompromising tough talking, received the prize for the most baffling comment by a public figure.

"Reports that say something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know," Rumsfeld told a news briefing.

"We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

John Lister, spokesman for the campaign, which strives to have public information delivered in clear, straightforward English, said: "We think we know what he means. But we don't know if we really know."

Although Rumsfeld's comments were made at a news briefing in February 2002, they were nominated for this year's award.

Rumsfeld, whose boss, President Bush, is often singled out by language critics for his sometimes unusual use of English, defeated actor-turned-politician Arnold Schwarzenegger for the booby prize.

"I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman," the new California governor said.

So, are the British really too stupid to understand what Rummy was saying? Or are they just using this award to criticize Rumsfeld and his policies? Either way, I think it is pretty clear that American English is the new world standard and the Brits should just do us all a favor (not favour), stop whining (not whinging) and conform already. Discuss...
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Are they serious? While it wasn't the most elegant prose in the history of politics, it's pretty obvious what the man said. There are things you know and things you don't know. Of the things you don't know, you can break those into 2 categories:

a. Things you are aware of that you don't know.
      b. Things that you don't know, and are unaware that you don't know them.

For example, Laura is aware that I bought her a Xmas present but she doesn't know what it is (a). However, if my father sent us a Christmas package that would fall under (b) as I have no knowledge that he would give us something for Christmas, nor any expectation that he would.

Comment

American English may well be the new world standard, but the winning example above was a garbled mess. He wasn't the winner because he left the u out of favour, but because he talked tripe.
        I fail to see how you could claim that this was a good example of clear public speaking, even if you claim to have understood what was said.

Comment

It isn't an example of good public speaking, but if that is the worst then the "reporters" sure aren't looking very hard.

Comment

To answer your question about whether this is ideologically motivated on the side of the awarding group, this might provide a clue:

Although Rumsfeld's comments were made at a news briefing in February 2002, they were nominated for this year's award.

They actually dug up a 21 month old quote to give it the "worst of 2003" award. And, yes, it is an annual award: http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/awards.html

Comment

Yeah, but how long did it take you to explain what he meant? Obviously this would win over a more incomprehensible but less high-profile quotation, but that doesn't rescue it from the linguistic dunghill.

Comment

Again, it isn't the most clear phrase in political speech but to say that it is incomprehensible is silly. And to drag up a quote from 2002 to use in their 2003 awards is, well, lazy.

Comment

John Lister, spokesman for the campaign, which strives to have public information delivered in clear, straightforward English, said: "We think we know what he means. But we don't know if we really know."
                  For Americans:

This is what is known as a 'joke'. Based on the number of times he said "known" and variations in a couple of sentences.

The initial comment was very funny and taking the piss out of him for it totally justified. If one of our politicians said something as retarded as that the impressionists would be feasting on it for months.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Congratulations for clearing that up for us Mike, I don't think we would've understood that if it weren't for your brilliant and penetrating analysis.

If one of our politicians said something as retarded as that the impressionists would be feasting on it for months.

But for 22?

Comment

This is what is known as a 'joke'. Based on the number of times he said "known" and variations in a couple of sentences.

You got that too, huh?
                      -connorkimbro
                      "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Sorry John and conner, I was clearing it up for Drake who seemed to miss it.

And I wasn't there for the award nominations so I don't know what qualifies as the dates for this years award.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

The first Annual JohnT Dumbest Awards of the Year goes to:

*rips open envelope*

The Plain English Campaign 2003 Worst Quotes of the Year Awards for their use of a February 2002 quote in their "Foot in Mouth" category!

Comment

The only thing that qualifies apparently is when the award is nominated. Theoretically, I could find some old quote from one of the Borgias (15th century Papal family of some small notoriety, for those not in the know) and it would still be appropriate for the "2004 Foot in Mouth" award.

Comment

Except it probably wouldn't be in English.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X