No announcement yet.

It is my country you want...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great idea, Gangerolf. That would even let the Swiss team that won the America's Cup have the next competition in their home country.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
      The UK acts like a member of NAFTA

NAFTA + UK = #1
      EU = homo-gay
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

So far, the Common Foreign and Security Policy (I have no idea what the English acronym is) belongs to what is called the "third pillar" of the EU, i.e its organization doesn't share anything with the rest of the EU's organization. There is a man at its helm, named Javier Solana. The thing has basically no other use than to articulate European foreign policies when possible (i.e when there is a consensus among European countries, but when there are differences on technicalities), and to express the common European positions on foreign policy when there is one.
        You'd hav heard much more of Javier Solana in January / February if the EU had a common stance over the war in Iraq. Since it didn't happen, Mr Solana's power was to call for European countries to try solving their differences. OMG these frigging Eurocrats have so much power! How is that acceptable for my nation-State !?!

The constituion attempts to bring this very powerful position in the "first pillar", i.e. the EU as we know it, with a Commission, a Council of Ministers, a Parliament and all this. It is specifically stated in the Constitution that any stance from the European minister of Foreign Affairs will require unanimity from every national government. As such, his action will be limited to unimportant tasks, like some intervention in Africa or somesuch.
        the thing is, the new italian draft makes foreign policy decisions made by QMV. which means that for example if a situation like the one leading up to the iraq war arose again, then the UK could be outvoted and prevented from acting by countries like belgium, austria, greece and malta! (and of course the 'real rulers' france and germany). why would any nation, especially one as powerful as the UK, accept a situation whereby it could not act in its own national interest and instead be dictated to by countries which simply do not matter on the world stage?

That or the goverments are delibertly going slow to let people get used to the idea of their nations slowly turning into mere provences.
        sadly that is exactly what is happening
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

spiff (just read your first post), the foreign policy thing is in the new italian draft and has been all over the BBC and the in the papers (and no, not just the sun ). so either they're all wrong, or you are, i know who my money's on...
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker

NAFTA + UK = #1
            EU = homo-gay
            The next time you try and think of an insult, could you swallow some shards of glass until the urge passes? Or come up with something a witty than "homo-gay"?

Bloody Americans. Couldn't swear properly if they tried.
            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Or come up with something a witty than "homo-gay"?

"Homo-gay" isn't meant to be witty. It is a serious attempt to craft a new word to replace the ubiquitous but sometimes offensive usage of the word "gay" as a synonym for "lame."
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                spiff (just read your first post), the foreign policy thing is in the new italian draft and has been all over the BBC and the in the papers (and no, not just the sun ). so either they're all wrong, or you are, i know who my money's on...
                This is a cheap way for the Italians to get heard. The only draft that will be seriously discussed and amended will be the Convention's draft, if only because the EU leaders don't have time to ponder each and every draft and their dog.

Yes, there are some European countries who want more integration and more of a superstate, and there are some countries that are against. That the countries voice their opinions doesn't mean they'll be implemented anytime in the next century.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                  Or come up with something a witty than "homo-gay"?

"Homo-gay" isn't meant to be witty. It is a serious attempt to craft a new word to replace the ubiquitous but sometimes offensive usage of the word "gay" as a synonym for "lame."
                  And homo-gay isn't offensive?
                  Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                  -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Working...
                  X