It is my country you want...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is my country you want...

these were the words of the leader of transvaal, paul kruger, when presented with british demands before the boer war. yesterday's new draft of the proposed european constitution should provoke the same reaction from our leaders, they want us to basically surrender control of our foriegn policy and our rights to decide on issues ranging from tax to social security and looking at the recent EU decision to allow france and germany to break the stability pact, it doesn't take a genius to work out who will hold the power in this 'new europe'. and you wonder why tony blair doesn't want to give us a referendum on this...

from BBC

EU starts constitution battle

Tough negotiations lie ahead on the road to EU enlargement

EU foreign ministers have begun a two-day meeting in Naples to try to narrow differences over a draft constitution.
    The European Commission has warned of the risk of failure unless the 15 member states agree to compromise.

On Thursday, UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw all but threatened to scupper the draft constitution if states were to lose their veto over foreign policy.

EU president Italy hopes to reach final agreement on the text in two weeks, but analysts say this is highly optimistic.

The EU constitution is designed to bring it closer to citizens, and to streamline decision-making in the future enlarged union of 25 nations.

In addition to Britain's concerns about foreign policy, Spain and Poland are resisting efforts to reduce the number of votes they wield.

Small countries are fighting to ensure that each country will still have its own European commissioner with full voting rights.

There is also controversy about whether or not to include a reference to Europe's Judaeo-Christian heritage in the preamble to the constitution.

The BBC's diplomatic correspondent Barnaby Mason says the disputes make the task of the Italian presidency look almost impossible.

Small states' anger

The debate begins on Friday with the European Commission - the EU's executive body - having lost face this week in failing to discipline France and Germany over their budget deficits.

Diplomats say this Franco-German victory - achieved with the support of Italy - has soured the atmosphere at Naples, and increased the feeling among small nations that the balance of power in the EU is shifting in favour of the big countries.

Italy has floated a number of amendments to the constitution drafted by a convention under France's former president, Valery Giscard d'Estaing.

The proposed changes include allowing foreign policy decisions to be made by a majority vote - instead of by unanimous vote, as at present.

London said this week that any effort to change the existing system would cross a "red line" - prompting a UK veto.

'Unwieldy' commission

This and other major disagreements are expected to be left for heads of state to resolve at a summit in Rome on 12 and 13 December.

Poland and Spain insist on keeping the disproportionately large number of votes they were promised at the Nice summit in 2000.

Small countries such as Finland are resisting efforts to hold the number of voting commissioners at 15 - meaning 10 countries would not have fully-fledged commissioners when the union expands.

Opponents say that a commission of 25 would be too unwieldy to work effectively.

The foreign ministers, whose goal is to pave the way for success at the Rome summit, will meet for a last time on 8 December.

If the draft constitution is not agreed this year, talks will continue next year under the Irish presidency.

The ratification process is due to start in mid-2004, and the constitution is expected to come into force in 2006 at the earliest.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

It was my understanding that Blair/Brown/Straw have all said that they will veto any such proposed pooling of Tax, Social Security and Foreign Policy ...

The EU usually works this way, they start with proposals as if we are the US of E, and then they get obliterated .. and whatevers left .. is adopted (which is usually not too much).

My concern is how on earth the EU is going to cope when we have more member states ?? How can we control the need of the veto (which is vital in many area's), and yet equally, the need not to water down things even more just to get consensus.

Any proposals ??
    "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Ugh... I can't believe Italy let France and Germany have a pass on their deficits. It is because of things like this that countries like the UK have such reservations. Any other country would have been punished, but France and Germany basically control the thing.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by The Viceroy
        It was my understanding that Blair/Brown/Straw have all said that they will veto any such proposed pooling of Tax, Social Security and Foreign Policy ...

The EU usually works this way, they start with proposals as if we are the US of E, and then they get obliterated .. and whatevers left .. is adopted (which is usually not too much).

My concern is how on earth the EU is going to cope when we have more member states ?? How can we control the need of the veto (which is vital in many area's), and yet equally, the need not to water down things even more just to get consensus.

Any proposals ??
        Regarding taxes and social security, there is no need of pooling at this stage, we just need to converge, which is much easier. But foreign policy is another matter, not that there is so much room for diversity, but because it would necessitate a spectacular abandon of (apparent) sovereignty.

The veto is not a really big issue. The reform was presented as a mean to make decision easier, not as a mean to make decision possible. It is quite obvious that when one country out of 25 uses its veto, a proper analysis of the reasons why they do so will lead to a solution of these problems and the retractation of the veto.

The consensus is a weak method for people not linked together, but quite efficient for people sharing strong interests. I see one problem in this respect with the newcomers who could not feel, in the beginning, that they are really part of the whole thing; but this cannot last.
        Statistical anomaly.
        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

The UK acts like a member of NAFTA

Comment

Re: It is my country you want...

Originally posted by C0ckney
            they want us to basically surrender control of our foriegn policy
            Lies.
            Who told you that, and how do they substantiate it?

If you look at the constitutoin draft, you'll notice that the pompous "foreign minister of the EU" is a powerless muppet that can only act when EU countries are unanimous. Basically, the guy has no more power than Javier Solana has today.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
              You mean, like the agent of NAFTA in the EU?
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                Ugh... I can't believe Italy let France and Germany have a pass on their deficits. It is because of things like this that countries like the UK have such reservations. Any other country would have been punished, but France and Germany basically control the thing.
                Why even bother to create rules if the lead powers can just break them when ever they feel like it?
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Then wouldn't that make NAFTA the North Atlantic Free Trade Agreement instead of the North American Free Trade Agreement?

BTW you are mistaken if you think it was only the UK who had different views on Iraq. Spain, Italy, the Netherlands, and Denmark all had the same policy. That doesn't even count countries like Poland, Hungry, Rumania, and Bulgaria (all candidates for EU membership) who also supported the policy.
                  Last edited by Dinner; November 28, 2003, 12:39.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The worm eating the red apple from within! Never forget what Le General said!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                      Why even bother to create rules if the lead powers can just break them when ever they feel like it?
                      At least, we can have the staisfaction that the leaders were annoyed at the situation.

And the rules are very useful to keep the weaker countries in line

Comment

The worm eating the red apple from within! Never forget what Le General said!
                        He has never been so right in his whole lifetime

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

To how many situations does this line apply to? I can think of so many...
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It would seem to us that we have 2 worms, France and Germany, taking what they want, and not going by the rules ..

Personally, Id rather be in NAFTA .. but its not an option, at least then the apple would be an orchard .
                            "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

wrong thread!
                              Attached Files
                              CSPA

Comment

Working...
                              X