No announcement yet.

What is Your Favorite Chinese Food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favorites are Hunan, Sichuan ("szechuan") and XinJiang foods.

Hunan - Hui Guo Rou is a personal favorite, a smoky pork dish from Hunan that reminds me of the real bacon we used to eat when I was a kid in the countryside of Iowa. Fortunately, it's so common you can eat it at most any "home cooking" Chinese
    restaurant.

Sichuan - GongBao JiDing ("Kung Pao Chicken") really is a treat, especially if prepared authentically, in which case it tastes much better than the American version (tastes like it has lime juice, and is much hotter).

XinJiang - although some Chinese don't like to think of XinJiang food as "Chinese" (even while they maintain that XinJiang is part of China), many westerners like it because it's a lot like western food (no surprise, XinJiang's Huighers are China's caucasians). XinJiang cuisine is heavy on lamb, cumin, oninons, tomatoes, garlic, and nan (a kind of bread). My all-time favorite is a special pie ("rou nan") which a local XinJiang restaurant makes . It looks exactly like an American pinched-crust apple pie, but is filled with stewed lamb with green pepper and onions. Every westerner I have taken to this restaurant swoons over it. In fact, this dish was my Thanksgiving meal.

DaShi, if you wander up to Shanghai sometime, I'll take you there.

Almost forgot - my favorite snack (so many great ones) is ShengJian, something like GuoTie ("potstickers"). They are basically XiaoLongBao (sometimes called "Shanghai dumplings on western menus) that have been fried on the bottom. YUMMMM!
    Last edited by mindseye; November 28, 2003, 23:28.
    Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Originally posted by ICBM
      Cat on a stick
      I haven't tried cat yet, but dog is pretty good (had it twice). It's usually eaten in the winter, in "hotpot". The flavor is halfway between beef and lamb.

Much better is pigeon ("gezi"). It's served grilled, wrapped in foil. I don't known anyone who has tried it and doesn't love it.
      Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

My wife has reported to me that they have restaurants in Beijing dedicated to serving Rat. Still can't wrap my mind around that one...
        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

dp, sorry...
          Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
            My wife has reported to me that they have restaurants in Beijing dedicated to serving Rat. Still can't wrap my mind around that one...
            I actually liked rat. The texture is like chicken but the flavor is much hearter and the meat is fairly greasy like beef.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

shrimpses

Comment

Originally posted by mindseye
                XinJiang - although some Chinese don't like to think of XinJiang food as "Chinese" (even while they maintain that XinJiang is part of China), many westerners like it because it's a lot like western food (no surprise, XinJiang's Huighers are China's caucasians).
                I reckon that's because there's rather a lot more meat in those dishes than traditional Chinese ones. Or rather, much more meat in a meal than a traditional Chinese meal.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Salt-baked squid/shrimp/quail/etc. Gotta love that salt.
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

Would some Chinaman mind pointing me to a good salt-baked whatever recipe?
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

All of it
                      "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                      ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                        Salt-baked squid/shrimp/quail/etc. Gotta love that salt.
                        I havn't tried that before but it sounds good.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Anything spicy. I love Kung Pao Shrimp.

But what's better than Chinese food is Vietnamese food
                          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                            Would some Chinaman mind pointing me to a good salt-baked whatever recipe?
                            Salt-baked chicken.

Very easy to do. All you need is this huge pile of salt and a chicken.

Clean the chicken, remove the innards. Heat the huge pile of salt, and stick the chicken inside. Wait until cooked.
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

i like crab rangoon.
                              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Or perhaps you like "beggar's chicken?"

Remove the innards from a chicken but keep the feathers on. Rinse out the inside thoroughly. Plaster the outside of the chicken with a thick layer of mud, dry in sun. Then put the whole thing in a fire. Wait until cooked - you are supposed to be able to smell the fragrance of cooked chicken meat.

Comment

Working...
                                X