What is Your Favorite Chinese Food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Your Favorite Chinese Food?

What kind of Chinese food do you like the best? What is your favorite Chinese dish? Can you make it? If so, could you please provide a recipe?
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Chinese food is nasty
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I love chinese food.
      In our local restaurant they serve very good chicken Kung Po, but I bet there are many ways to make it.

I don't know how they do it, but it's goooooooood.
      I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Crispy Aromatic Duck with pancakes!

Comment

I don't have any experience with authentic chinese food, the closest I've gotten to it is the americanized buffets. That said, I'd say vegetable fried rice (which i often make myself) and spring rolls.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

well, of americanized chinese food, it's got to either be spicy orange beef or spicy general tso's chicken.
            B♭3

Comment

that's at least when jj'ajj'angmyun or jj'ampong isn't availible.
              B♭3

Comment

Well, scallion pancakes and most types of fried rice. And if you own oa Wok, it's all so simple, if time consumming, to make.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Just about anything.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Pizza!
                    Blah

Comment

Chineese food is delicious, just like sweet chineese girls.

My personnal best are vegetable and meat mix in the Wok. I dont know how to make it but my sister really makes it exquisite. Mmmmmmmmm.....Think I'll call her and ask what she's doing saturday night.

Spec.
                      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I have too many dishes that I like in various different Chinese cuisines to list, but I do like stuffed duck's web, and chicken's feet in black bean and chilli sauce, and steamed scallops with ginger, and won ton soup, and szechuan spicy lamb, and those lovely steamed rolls with chinese sausage inside, and water chestnut cake, and sea bass on crispy noodles, and pork with oyster sauce, and clams in chillii and black bean sauce...

but here's a couple of recipes that are relatively easy (you will need access to an Chinese/Viet Namese supermarket for the last one) and a delicious Chinese inspired cocktail suitable for any occasion. Well, except a funeral perhaps.

DaShi- here’s a Chinese influenced cocktail for Christmas, Chinese New Year, or any other occasion you feel warrants it:

Champagne with lychee:

Add 3 lychees to 100 ml of vodka, leave to infuse for at least one hour, but the longer the better.

Place a fresh lychee in a champagne flute, add the lychee flavoured vodka, and top up with Champagne. This would also work with sake, or a Chinese rice spirit.

Salt and pepper squid

2 tbsp sea salt
                        1 tbsp szechuan peppercorns
                        1 tbsp black peppercorns
                        ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
                        1 tbsp cornflour
                        500 g cleaned squid hoods, cut into strips
                        Vegetable or peanut oil for deep frying (about 3 cups)
                        Lemon or orange wedges

In a wok or heavy based frying pan over a medium heat, stir combined salt and peppercorns until fragrant and lightly toasted (about 3-4 minutes). Add chilli flakes. Allow to cool, then use a pestle and mortar and crush to a fine powder.

Place half the pepper and salt mixture into a large bowl and add cornflour. Add squid strips, and toss well to lightly coat with the pepper mix.

Heat oil in a deep fryer or wok. Cook squid in batches by lowering into oil in a deep frying basket or slotted spoon for about 2 minutes, or until just cooked through. Drain on kitchen paper, and serve sprinkled with reserved pepper mix and lemon or orange wedges.

Serves 4

Chow fun (you will need to buy the rice noodle and char siu at a Chinese or Viet Namese supermarket)

½ lb of fresh rice noodle sheets, cut into ½ inch wide long strips

1 cup of char siu/roast pork, cut into ¼ inch wide strips
                        ½ cup bamboo shoots, cut into ¼ inch strips
                        1 lb Chinese cabbage sliced in ½ inch wide strips

gravy/sauce:

1 and ¼ cups of chicken broth
                        1 tbsp cornstarch
                        1 tsp sesame oil
                        1 tsp salt
                        1 tsp sugar
                        2 tbsps light soy sauce

2 tbsps oil

Heat wok over a high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil. Cover surface of wok with oil. Add noodle strips. Stir fry to heat noodles through, about 2 minutes. Remove, place on a warm plate.

If rice noodle sheets are not available, then you can substitute dry rice stick noodles (sha ho fun), boiling them for 8 minutes beforehand, and draining them before frying.

Clean wok, reheat over high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil, cover surface of wok. Stir fry char siu, cabbage and bamboo shoots for 2 minutes.

Add gravy ingredients. Toss fry for another 2 minutes until gravy is clear. Pour over warm noodle strips. Serve.
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Orange chicken is yummie! I also like the dim sum in China Town; I just like how they bring back plate after plate of these little dishes. If you don't want one you don't take it but if you do it costs only like $0.50.
                          Last edited by Dinner; November 28, 2003, 23:12.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yes, the Cantonese Tea Lunch DIM SUM rules!!!

I love the shumai which are the pork and shrimp steamed dumplings.
                            Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Cat on a stick
                              Pi = 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 10582097494459230781640628620899862803482534211706 79821480865132823066470938446095505822317253594081 2848111...
                              Approximately.

Comment

Working...
                              X