Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS
    In 2003, we will run a deficit of 4% or 4.5%
    Slightly creative accounting by you here DanS, the average deficit in the first three quarters was 4.8% of GDP (and the deficit in Q3 is 5.4%).
    So are you really expecting the deficit to halve in the fourth quarter?.
    I think that a deficit of around 5% is far more likely for both the fourth quarter and the year.

Originally posted by DanS
    ...and will have economic growth of 3%. Germany and France will run deficits of 3.5% or 4% and have no economic growth to show for it.
    Well there is also the matter of differing ways of measuring growth - the hedonic deflator add's 0.5% to the US's growth (although France uses this as well) , the inclusion of software purchases add's another 0.1% and the difference in population growth is around 1%.

A truer picture would be obtained by looking at the structural deficits and the trend rates of growth per head (adjusted for the differences in measurement I mentioned above)

Using OECD and IMF data (but not the IMF forecast for the US budget defict that we both think is excessive) here is the structural deficit and per capita trend growth the US and some countries in europe: (the figures are show only to the nearest 0.25% to reflect the inherent inaccuracies of estimating this data)

United States:
    Trend growth per head: 2%
    Structural Budget Deficit: 4.5%

Germany:
    Structural Budget Deficit: 2.75%

France:
    Structural Budget Deficit: 3.25%

Britian:
    Trend growth per head: 2.75%
    Structural Budget Deficit: 1.75%

EU15:
    Trend growth per head: 2.25%
    Structural Budget Deficit: 1.5%
    19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

there are 2 wars going on

duh
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Yes Ted, but:
        Originally posted by Case

However, what's got the analysts freaking out is that their models are showing the deficits continuing even when good economic times and an end to the war are factored in. (see The Economist for the week of November 8-14 - their estimates show the deficit likely to steadily increase over the next decade)
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

i'm sure most of the older people here don't have to worry about the deficit exploding on them. i mean, after all, by the time things get really bad, they'll be in retirement homes cashing in their 401(k)s, while us young'uns will be the ones stuck with the ****ing huge bill.

so **** all y'all old people.

and i say that in the nicest possible way.
          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
            there are 2 wars going on
            Well as I said defence spending has only increased by 1% of GDP, and probably only half of that is due to the wars.

As the deterioration in the US's structural budget balance (i.e. that which would happen if the economy was running at it's trend) is over 5% of GDP then between a fifth and a tenth of the deficit is caused by the wars.

Originally posted by Ted Striker
            duh
            Well as I showed above - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing
            19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

The new Medicare plan that should pass soon isn't going to help the budget situation out any...

I think I might just stay overseas until the baby boomers all die off.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Wars are expensive. The UN was a much cheaper option.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

old people are expensive, too.

damn crotchety old fogies, feeding off of us productive young people like ancient vampires...

B♭3

Comment

A truer picture
                    Comparing per capita GDP growth create does not create a truer picture when we are comparing budget deficits.

Slightly creative accounting by you here DanS, the average deficit in the first three quarters was 4.8% of GDP (and the deficit in Q3 is 5.4%).
                    Yeh, and 3rd quarter GDP growth was 8.2% at an annual rate, which might bump up our full year growth number from 3%. Point being that deficits shouldn't be looked at in a vacuum.
                    Last edited by DanS; November 25, 2003, 11:40.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

for the people blaming the deficit on war:

1. Bush's tax cut is 4 times larger than all the money being spent in Iraq AND 9-11 related costs.

2. During times of past wars, while we were running deficits, the top marginal tax rate was up around 90%. It's fine with me if you want to return to that tax plan.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                        old people are expensive, too.

damn crotchety old fogies, feeding off of us productive young people like ancient vampires...

Do not forget that, in their attempt to starve you, old people will be assisted by holders of the US foreign debt (mainly Chinese, Japanese, Arabs and probably drug lords) who will receive every year of your life enormous amount of interests.
                        Statistical anomaly.
                        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

all 'cause of those damn old people.
                          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                            all 'cause of those damn old people.
                            Yeah, I'm glad our scientists found an answer this summer, with the heatwave in France. Hopefully, this should be even worse next year, they are working on it.

"An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

So is ours, and has been for 6 years straight.
                              congratulations on making the 2,510,000th post on Apolyton, KrazyHorse. I wonder who was post 2.5 million? Anyway, back to the bickering...

And you are proud that your government is overtaxing the citizenry? While $250,000,000,000 deficits are nothing to be proud about, allowing my government to steal more from my pocket then even they can spend is just as sad.

Comment

You Americans have always had a problem with being taxed. If you'd just enjoy it like good Europeans we wouldn't have had to have that silly revolution and you could still be nice respectable Brits.
                                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                                We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                                X