Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. budget deficit "out of control"

Goldman Sachs has issued a warning.

Bush is running a deficit of a a quarter of a trillion dollars with no end in sight.

That will be good for the global economy (not).

Didn't George Bush 1 lose control of the budget too?
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Dont all republicans lose control of the budget?
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Yes, its what fiscal responsibility means: some one ends up being responsible for the fiscal mess.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Goldman Sachs is raining on my parade.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Yep.

It's a bit of laugh when the Republicans warn about "tax and spend" Democrats.
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Oh, but see, the Republicans don;t spend..they just don;t have the guts to slash everything they would need to after their tax cutting shcemes..after all, Americans want lower taxes and government services, you know.

Comment

There must be some sort of viscious circle going on here where the Republicans cut taxes and run up huge deficits and then the Democrats have to raise taxes when they get into office to repay Republican debt.

That's mad.

Comment

Don't try to figure out US politics, it is all madness.

Just think of this: the Rich states (that is, the ones with high per capita incomes, most liekly to benefit form Bush) generally vote Democrat (they are the ones paying for the welfare state-like NYC, which exports 11 billions a year in taxes), while the poor states (the ones that get money from the Feds well beyond their own tax rates), like Mississippi and Alabama vote hand over foot for the anti-gov reps. Go figure.

Comment

Only recently for the South going Republican. Mississippi still sends plenty of Dems to the statehouse and Congress. Their last and present governor are both Democrats, IIRC.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Bush is running a deficit of a a quarter of a trillion dollars with no end in sight.
                    ITYM half a trillion dollars?

I'm not happy about it at all. The only consolation is that economic growth should be fast next year in part because of it.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Devaluation of debt over time reduces the real cost of the deficit. Keynes stated that we needed a deficit during recission...the problem is that we need a tax increase during expansion (not enough to stifle growth, but enough to keep inflationary trends under control.) The problem is that the moneterist keep getting involved and screw everything up. Of course, this is probably necessary since few have the political will for a tax increase simply for economic policy.
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Re: U.S. budget deficit "out of control"

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                        Actually using an internationally comparable measure (net lending by the government sector) the deficit is well over half a trillion dollars ($600bn to be exact)

Originally posted by GePap
                        Oh, but see, the Republicans don;t spend..they just don;t have the guts to slash everything they would need to after their tax cutting shcemes..after all, Americans want lower taxes and government services, you know.
                        Actually GWB has presided over a large rise in government spending, both military and civilian (both of them are up by around 1% of GDP)
                        19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          Only recently for the South going Republican. Mississippi still sends plenty of Dems to the statehouse and Congress. Their last and present governor are both Democrats, IIRC.
                          Yes, conservative Dems. that complaint about NYC welfare mothers..went it is NYC paying for thier subsidies and roads!

Comment

Yes, conservative Dems

But not Republicans... which was the point .
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Actually using an internationally comparable measure (net lending by the government sector) the deficit is well over half a trillion dollars ($600bn to be exact)
                              Just to make clear, that also includes state and local governments, which spend a lot of money in our system, and which make spending decisions independent of the federal government and whatever Bush can come up with.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X