I Can't Wait To Go To Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oerdin
    The best possible situation is a recreation of Britain's 1932 Iraq policy where pro-western leaders are selected and then put in place. These leaders would then write a western style constitution with a western style sepporation of religion and state while we would continue to supply them with economic and military aid so they can defeat the Ba'athists and fundimentalists.
    Quite good idea, but isn't that what's already going on, basically?
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin
      The best possible situation is a recreation of Britain's 1932 Iraq policy where pro-western leaders are selected and then put in place. These leaders would then write a western style constitution with a western style sepporation of religion and state while we would continue to supply them with economic and military aid so they can defeat the Ba'athists and fundimentalists.
      so iraq can repeat the process again in 40 years? no thanks. reminds me of iran, and we all know how much they love us now.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
        Have the occupation forces used Iraqi TV radio and newspapers to give instructions on how to behave at such situations to avoid accidents from confusion?
        You know, one of the things I do not know, but wish I did, is what the Iraqi's see on TV in the way of news and information. I know the Iraqi Governing council has pulled the plug for a time on two Arab-language TV networks that are based outside of Iraq. All of these non Iraqi networks seem to be heavily biased against the occuppation. But is there any news service broadcast either by the coalition or by the Iraqi people themselves that give their people access to what really is going on in Iraq?
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• BTW. According to the Geneva convention it is illegal to meddle in the politics of an occupied state. It only allows for policing to allow normal civilian life to continue as normal.

That would mean that deciding on what news are broadcast, setting up new governments, building a police force is illegal.

This is according to Claire Short, the minister of developent, sacked by Blair just before the war. In fact she thinks that a lot of the attacks are happening because of this continuing illegality by the occupying power.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned

You know, one of the things I do not know, but wish I did, is what the Iraqi's see on TV in the way of news and information. I know the Iraqi Governing council has pulled the plug for a time on two Arab-language TV networks that are based outside of Iraq. All of these non Iraqi networks seem to be heavily biased against the occuppation. But is there any news service broadcast either by the coalition or by the Iraqi people themselves that give their people access to what really is going on in Iraq?
            i know, lets broadcast FOX News in iraq!
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Tripledoc
              BTW. According to the Geneva convention it is illegal to meddle in the politics of an occupied state. It only allows for policing to allow normal civilian life to continue as normal.

That would mean that deciding on what news are broadcast, setting up new governments, building a police force is illegal.

This is according to Claire Short, the minister of developent, sacked by Blair just before the war. In fact she thinks that a lot of the attacks are happening because of this continuing illegality by the occupying power.
              Tripledoc, AFAIK, we are abiding by the Geneva convention. In what way are we not?

Also, regarding "illegality," we are operating under a UN mandate.
              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by techumseh

Or maybe you should just cut your losses, lest you get a little more of what the Viet Cong gave you.
                The VC gave us their lives, is that what you have in mind?
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikander

I love you when you're witty, but not when you're half-witty.
                  Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned

Tripledoc, AFAIK, we are abiding by the Geneva convention. In what way are we not?
                    What I stated. The occupying power cannot setup a new government. Cannot set up a domestic police force.

Also, regarding "illegality," we are operating under a UN mandate.
                    No.

Comment

• I was right about the Iraqi resistance. I simply miscalculated the time frame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikander

That's true. A veteran said that the americans killed and killed by the millions untill they were devasted from tireness of the killing. Still, Vietnam beat you.

Comment

• Originally posted by paiktis22

That's true. A veteran said that the americans killed and killed by the millions untill they were devasted from tireness of the killing. Still, Vietnam beat you.
                          Vietnam didn't beat anyone. We were beaten by the Russians and Chinese. Baathists, however, don't have any big brothers backing them this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tripledoc

What I stated. The occupying power cannot setup a new government. Cannot set up a domestic police force.

No.

http://www.afsc.org/iraq/guide/war-timeline.htm
                            Tripledoc, no one in their right mind would suggest that allowing the Iraqi's to govern themselves by free elections is in violation of International Law. No one in their right mind would agree that we must keep the former regime in power if the removal of that regime was the object of the war. No one in their right mind would agree that we cannot allow new Iraqi police if there was a total collapse of the old order. Somehow, I have the distinct feeling that your interpretation of the Geneva Conventions is way off target.

Comment

• there is ALMOST NO comparison with vietnam. ill leave it at that
                              "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                              - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                              Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                                Good idea or not, it's the here and now baby.
                                This is probably the thing I agree most with.
                                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X