Horsie Go America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS
    Shoot, I don't know. There's a battlefield park of some 5,000 acres...

But the area has been built up a lot.
    Yeah, in fact on Highway 234 I moved a lot of dirt with the S W Rogers company ON the development known as BULLRUN..just a slight jog from I-66...in Manassas..(Wait couple battles took place there too!) thats,IIRC in Prince William County..

You have Lee Highway (29) and the Battle for Leesburg Pike (Rt 7) (Hmm not a civil war historian), but I remember seeing a sign on Route 7 WEST of Tysons corner before entering Leesburg,(still in Fairfax County but before Loudon County) about the battle there..Maybe it was Leesburg Tavern?????

Yeah lots of sites to see up there...

Now down south in Virginia..." Appomattox".....

Peace

Grandpa "Trying-2-B-friendly-&-helpful,-still-NO-Historian-though"-Troll
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Well the girls on the delegation are talking about going shopping on Saturday....

So obviously I've got to get out of that
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
        I know, it will be so weird to go somewhere named after him

It's probably Jelly bean shaped with woolly carpet.
        actually its not a bad looking modern building. Its right on 14th Street.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
          Bull Run would probably be my best bet. Unless it's been built out?
          Obviously you've never heard of the THIRD battle of Bull Run - Developers vs Preservationists (Fought over a tract just outside the NPS land)
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Troll

Yeah, in fact on Highway 234 I moved a lot of dirt with the S W Rogers company ON the development known as BULLRUN..just a slight jog from I-66...in Manassas..(Wait couple battles took place there too!) thats,IIRC in Prince William County..

You have Lee Highway (29) and the Battle for Leesburg Pike (Rt 7) (Hmm not a civil war historian), but I remember seeing a sign on Route 7 WEST of Tysons corner before entering Leesburg,(still in Fairfax County but before Loudon County) about the battle there..Maybe it was Leesburg Tavern?????
            Perhaps youre thinking of the Battle of Ball's Bluff?

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Perhaps youre thinking of the Battle of Ball's Bluff?
              Again, I dont remember, but was amazed by the number of roadside signs, for those whom have lived or extensively traveled there can attest to, small brownish looking plaques/signs stating Historic Signifigance of an area or road, and during my stay mid 80's for 5 years or so say 86-91 era, many developers/conservationists/historians would want to have their say when someone would develop or attempt to develop an area.

I love History and hope you enjoy some of the sights and sounds...

Mt Vernon is south of Alexandria on , I believe, HWY 235 (Mt Vernon Highway) just north of Fort Belvoir

Peace

Grandpa Troll

Comment

Well the girls on the delegation are talking about going shopping on Saturday...
                Send them out to Tyson's Corner. You will get a lot of extra time to do the things you want to do, if only because they'll be stuck in traffic no matter the time of day.

Unless you're the boss, in which case you keep them on a short leash and send them to Georgetown or Pentagon City.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Greetings Horsie.
                  Glad you could make it to this part of the world.

I could easily do a lunch. RR Building is two subway stops away.

Dec 6th looks doable right now, if it is afternoon or evening.

(In belated response to the DC Polymeet thread, Dec 14th also looks doable right now, if that is still on the table. Don't know if we can do it at my place - the house is still torn up from renovation.)

As for Civil War battlefields,

Gettysburg is probably the most interesting. It is two hours north by car.
                  Antietam is about an hour and a half NW, again by car. You may also want to stop at Harpers Ferry, site of John Brown's raid, on the same trip.
                  Manassas is the closest site. 45 min to an hour by car, depending on traffic. Also accessible by rail (Virginia Railway Express Manassas Line from Union Station or L'Enfant Plaza), but only on weekdays.
                  Fredericksburg is about an hour plus south of town by car (can be some nasty traffic). Also easily accessible by rail (Amtrak from Union Station).
                  Old posters never die.
                  They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Send them out to Tyson's Corner. You will get a lot of extra time to do the things you want to do, if only because they'll be stuck in traffic no matter the time of day.

Unless you're the boss, in which case you keep them on a short leash and send them to Georgetown or Pentagon City.
                    I aint trying to be the guy whom tops all remarks..BUT..

I supplied trucks and operational oversight with the John Driggs Corporation with trucking when we did the Pentagon City..let me remember..

Hayes Street on one side..

Joy or Joyce Street on another..
                    (I remember looking at the Metro stop X-the street)

Ahh..I do love construction!!

Man that place was HUGE..send them their..then southbound 395 to Springfield Mall...then jump over to 495 inner loop to just past I-66 to Route 7 West and Tysons Corner..They used to have Hechts out their..

OT..instead of Tysons Corner..leave Springfield mall.and stay I-95 Southbound to just south of Little D.C. (Thats Dale City) to the Potomac Mills mall!

Thanks Dan..together we can free up Horsie..HEY..go 5.5 hours south Horsie to my homegrounds where Camp lejeune, largest Amphibious training base in world, home of the USMC and Ill show you a good time..nice homecooked meal and church services on Sunday!

Peace

Grandpa Troll

Comment

Horse, if you're looking for contact info, I'd be willing to forward you my number if you're looking to meet any Polymembers.

If you're looking to get rid of women on a Saturday, send them to Easter Market. Should be an interesting time...
                      If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Sounds like no chance of a Chicago layover... too bad.
                        Hope you enjoy DC, AH.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

“Friends When it Counts”

Translation: "When it suits us."

I think it's an old teflon factory.

Our country is fvcked up as it is -- we don't need evil, conspiring Aussies to make it even worse.

If we made him president he couldn't do any worse.

Besides, we already have a conspiring aussie for a california governor.
                          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                            “Friends When it Counts”

Translation: "When it suits us."

I think it's an old teflon factory.

Our country is fvcked up as it is -- we don't need evil, conspiring Aussies to make it even worse.

If we made him president he couldn't do any worse.

Besides, we already have a conspiring aussie for a california governor.
                            Thought Arnie was of Austrian background?
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
                              Horse, if you're looking for contact info, I'd be willing to forward you my number if you're looking to meet any Polymembers.

If you're looking to get rid of women on a Saturday, send them to Easter Market. Should be an interesting time...
                              Eastern Market. Never been there in the winter.

Comment

well guys I'm overwhelmed by your offers of hospitality. Thanks.

But then you're legendary for that, and for good manners.
                                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                                X