No announcement yet.

Did the Chinese Overreact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about all the people the Chinese ****ed over in the past? Or is that somehow different? The Japanese got some pretty stiff competition at killing Chinese from the Chinese themselves. But lets not talk about that. Lets just bash the Japanese like the PRC tells us to.
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
      The thing was that they weren't targetting China specifically.
      OTOH, there is no sign of penitence on the part of Japanese government.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

So?
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi

So rioting and threatening Japanese students who weren't even born at the time is the proper response. Or is China just waiting for the chance to commit its own atrocities on the Japanese. I agree wholeheartedly that Japan needs to apologize and generally be more contrite for its actions during WWII, but bad behavior is still bad behavior. And the reasons for these riots are tenuous.
          There is no proper response. Unfortunately, when a people hold their collective tongue for so long while simultaneously expecting contrition, respect, and recognition, any catalyst will serve to open the floodgates and result in an inappropriately disproportionate response.

Culturally, Chinese people tend to be rather less forthcoming about discussing events which are troubling or painful, instead choosing to hold it all in and hoping that it will all just go without saying.
          -30-

Comment

Well, had Japan done more to educate its own people about the atrocities, then these students may have had more tact. What it really comes down to, however, is immature children on both sides. Neither of whom experienced first hand the tragedies of WWII. The Japanese students were just foolish, and their teacher also should have known better. The Chinese students probably should have responded with quiet disapproval, but, being children with no better outlet to express themselves, they choose to vent their personal hatred in violent and unbecoming riots.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I am sure some German students making fun of Jews is going to go over well, particularly in Israel.

Are we insinuating that wearing fake genitals and bras is in some way making fun of the Chinese? Is there a stereotype that the Chinese have abnormally small breasts and genitals comparatively to the Japanese?

I though the Israelis were the best definition of 'apologist' on this forum. I guess I was wrong.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It doesn't surprise me that this was a British article. The Missouri School of Journalism has deep respect for the British broadcast media, but general consensus here is that American print media has the UK's print media beat hands down for objectivity and interpretative journalism without overframing.

The Guardian is already politically closer to the Chinese ideology than most British papers. Some quotes from the article would not be likely to appear in mainstream US broadsheets like the Washington Post or the New York Times, except perhaps on the op/ed pages.
                If the performers had been Chinese, Russian or European, that would probably have been the end of the matter. But the fact that they were Japanese turned a cultural misunderstanding into an international incident
                The outcry sparked by the innocuous display of student humour this week is the latest and most bizarre in a series of public demonstrations against anything Japanese
                Both of these paragraphs are fine as editorial opinions, but they're not objective enough to stand up as factual reporting. I admire the reporter's attempt to contextualize the situation, but I don't feel that this attempt is backed up with enough facts or sources to bring it out of the veil of subjectivity.

Of course, this already counts as pretty high quality British print reporting, so I suppose I shouldn't complain. It's a hell of a lot better than what the US broadcast media would make of it, at any rate. (FOX News, anybody?)

Meanwhile, have a picture of my roommate dressed in drag.

I think this should spark an international incident against all American born Chinese who were educated in Britain. What do you think?
                Attached Files
                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

We need an axe grinding smilie.
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    I am sure some German students making fun of Jews is going to go over well, particularly in Israel.

Are we insinuating that wearing fake genitals and bras is in some way making fun of the Chinese? Is there a stereotype that the Chinese have abnormally small breasts and genitals comparatively to the Japanese?

I though the Israelis were the best definition of 'apologist' on this forum. I guess I was wrong.
                    My best advice to give you is to understand the complexity of the situation before you leap forth to proffer comments that is best classified as "ignorant."

I am sure that a furor will be raised if a similar situation takes place in Korea, the Philippines, or any country where Japanese brutality was overtly displaced for any length of time.

I thought the situation was roughly sketched out in a prior lengthy thread, but I guess not.
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

My best advice to give you is to understand the complexity of the situation before you leap forth to proffer comments that is best classified as "ignorant."

I understand it. I just think it is utterly moronic and foolish. Japanese kids do a bawdy skit and the Chinese go ape **** and threaten death.

All I can say is what the HELL is wrong with Asia if this would be common in Korea or the Philippines.

Utterly moronic activity by the Chinese here. They are the true 'ignorant' ones here
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

I understand it. I just think it is utterly moronic and foolish. Japanese kids do a bawdy skit and the Chinese go ape **** and threaten death.
                        You understand it? It appears that you do not, as you have failed to interpret the situation in context.

BTW, I see no mention of death threats in the quoted article, Imran.

Comment

You understand it? It appears that you do not, as you have failed to interpret the situation in context.

No, I definetly understand it and the utter idiocy of not being able to let go one iota. It is like they are waiting for someone of Japanese dissent to slip up so they can express how upset they are for things that happened 60 years ago.

The situation 'in context' changes nothing. Bunch of Japanese schoolkids danced bawdily in front of a Chinese group. BIG ****ING DEAL!

BTW, I see no mention of death threats in the quoted article, Imran.

The way this situation is going, I can see it come. Whenever the Japanese are involved, China has no sense of proportion, instead saying since you did something 60 years ago, we have the right to totally go bonkers and overreact.

Comment

as you have failed to interpret the situation in context
                            I have yet to see a plausible context in this thread.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                              I'm sorry, but what do war crimes 60 years ago have to do with silly, non-destructive pranks pulled by students today?
                              If you were black, and waiting on me in a restaurant, and I yelled across the place at you "Boy, fetch me another lemonade!" would you possibly get a bit "uppity?"

There may be some hypersensitivity involved, but there isn't baseless hypersensitivity.
                              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Any reaction at all over college kids making pranks is outrageous.

If the prank was done in America then they'd get applause and good humor, not this protest crap.

(Well, someone would protest, but it wouldn't be things like "articles in teh national media accusing them of humiliating china" etc.)
                                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                                X