Did the Chinese Overreact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the Chinese Overreact?

Or were these Japanese students just politically insensitive?

In the history of comical flops, few pranks can have gone down quite so badly as the fake-genital skit performed by three Japanese students in China's Northwest University.

Student prank that gave the Chinese a fit of the willies

Jonathan Watts in Beijing
    Saturday November 1, 2003
    The Guardian

Chinese students demonstrate against Japanese students who had performed a jokey sketch involving fake genitals

In the history of comical flops, few pranks can have gone down quite so badly as the fake-genital skit performed by three Japanese students in China's Northwest University.
    Camping it up in red bras and knickers bulging with paper cups, the performers must have been expecting guffaws or at least shy giggles from the freshmen and faculty they were entertaining at a welcoming party for new students.

Instead, they sparked an anti-Japanese demonstration by thousands of fellow students, internet death threats, and articles in the national media accusing them of attempting to humiliate China and its people.

The outcry sparked by the innocuous display of student humour this week is the latest and most bizarre in a series of public demonstrations against anything Japanese - one of the few issues on which the Chinese government appears ready to tolerate large-scale protests.

According to the state-run news service Xinhua, the performance at the party for foreign language students in Xian, western China, included three Japanese students and a teacher wearing brassieres and false genitals made from paper cups hanging from their waists. They danced "obscenely" and threw scraps of paper pulled from their underwear at the audience.

The audience of conservative students and professors called a stop to the high jinks. If the performers had been Chinese, Russian or European, that would probably have been the end of the matter. But the fact that they were Japanese turned a cultural misunderstanding into an international incident.

Several thousand Chinese students gathered in front of the university's foreign students' dormitory on Thursday to demand that the Japanese offenders apologise. Yesterday hundreds continued to protest, shouting anti-Japanese slogans and waving banners, according to witnesses.

After the performance was given prominent coverage in the media, internet chatrooms filled with calls for the culprits to be deported.

Anti-Japanese feeling has lingered since the second world war, when Japanese troops used Chinese civilians as sex slaves and guinea pigs for biological experiments. But its expression has undergone a change recently, with calls for financial compensation.

In recent months the fury has grown in the wake of the death of a labourer who was killed by a Japanese chemical weapon uncovered at a construction site.

Hundreds of thousands signed an online petition against a Japanese bid to build a rail link between Shanghai and Beijing; a Japanese band was pelted with bottles when it played in Beijing; and newspapers published front-page stories about a sex tour by 400 Japanese men who allegedly hired 500 Chinese prostitutes.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

I don't understand what has happened.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Apparently, some Japanese college kids were being, well, college kids, and a bunch of Chinese students and faculties have sticks up their asses.

So yes, they overreacted, unless I'm missing something major here.
      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Did the Americans ever turn that little chain of islands back into something beautiful..

Japan

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
          So yes, they overreacted, unless I'm missing something major here.
          Yes.

Modern history of East Asia.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I'm sorry, but what do war crimes 60 years ago have to do with silly, non-destructive pranks pulled by students today?
            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Lots and lots of things, including the Japanese's inability to recognise these atrocities.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Well, my complaint would be that they were guests of China. A little acumen by the Japanese students should have told them that it was a bad idea. But the Chinese just seemed like they were looking for an excuse. Any excuse.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

UR,

Lots and lots of things, including the Japanese's inability to recognise these atrocities.
                  Again, that has nothing to do with the situation at hand.

Dashi,

But the Chinese just seemed like they were looking for an excuse. Any excuse.
                  That's what I think. I mean come on. The prank wasn't even political in nature or intent.

And now, I'm off to work. YAY!

Comment

No one likes the japanese.

Strip anime, video games and kinky sex and you have nothing going for them.
                    :-p

Comment

No, that's what the Chinese luuuuv about the Japanese.

I'm sort of baffled about what the uproar was about. Perhaps somebody could fill us in? The article is awful vague. Is it just a bawdy skit to the wrong audience?
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

DanS, I think the Chinese were offended by the crassness and the sexuality of the act. If you have seen any recent Chinese movies, you will be struck at just how puritanical the Chinese are.
                        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                          DanS, I think the Chinese were offended by the crassness and the sexuality of the act. If you have seen any recent Chinese movies, you will be struck at just how puritanical the Chinese are.
                          No, Chinese hate Japanese with a passion. If the movie were American, nothing would have happened.

The days that Chinese were puritanical are long over.

Comment

Regardless of whether these students hated this really bad prank or hated the Japanese students.....Go China!!!

Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

The scale of the counter-action is disproportionate to the act..loud boos and getting hackled off the stage would have been enough a show of disapproval towards the stunt. Death threats are simply absurd.
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X