No announcement yet.

Did the Chinese Overreact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the fact that they were Japanese turned a cultural misunderstanding into an international incident.
    Very telling statement. Obviously the outrage is poltically motivated and not motivated by the deed itself.

its expression has undergone a change recently, with calls for financial compensation.
    Here's the reason for the political outrage.

In recent months the fury has grown in the wake of the death of a labourer who was killed by a Japanese chemical weapon uncovered at a construction site.
    WTF??

Anti-Japanese feeling has lingered since the second world war, when Japanese troops used Chinese civilians as sex slaves and guinea pigs for biological experiments.
    Time to move on China.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

After reading the article, all I really have to say is this:

The Hell?
      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Japan used to have this habit of invading China.
        Some chinese people don't like Japan because of that
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Yeah, after the rape of Nanjing, the Chinese seem to have a big chip on their collective shoulder. According to you people, they should just say "It's ok, Japan - we forgive you for those 400,000 Chinese civilians you raped and slaughtered."

And of course, empathy shouldn't be expected - they all look alike anyway, naked and tortured and murdered in a pile like that. They have nothing to be sensitive about, right?
          -30-

Comment

No, they just need to realize that a few Japanese students playing a prank is not in any way related to the Rape of Nanjing. Frankly, I don't see how it's any different than Jews hating today's Germans for the Holocaust. It's just silly.
            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

And college students today have what to do with the Rape of Najing? Might as well expect us to slug Japanese folks for the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

This is pretty simple to understand.

Japan invaded China. Repeated as many times as needed.
                (Irrelevant, but...) China has risen to a very powerful position in the world.
                Chinese people remember the history. And they get indoctrination from the Chinese government.
                Therefore Chinese people dont really like Japanese people.

Stupid? Yes. Understandable? Of course.

Comment

This is pretty simple to understand.

Japan invaded China. Repeated as many times as needed.
                  (Irrelevant, but...) China has risen to a very powerful position in the world.
                  Chinese people remember the history. And they get indoctrination from the Chinese government.
                  Therefore Chinese people dont really like Japanese people.

Stupid? Yes. Understandable? Of course.

Comment

The scale of the counter-action is disproportionate to the act..loud boos and getting hackled off the stage would have been enough a show of disapproval towards the stunt. Death threats are simply absurd.

Totally agree. This is just ridiculous. Yes, you don't like Japanese people because they were *******s. Fine, but what does any of that have to do with a skit by some Japanese students which has nothing to do with history in any way?

It'd be like German students doing a bawdy play in Israel and the Israelis holding massive anti-German protests (which they'd never do).

Might as well expect us to slug Japanese folks for the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

Oh, yeah... I forgot... time to get me some of those bastards
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      (which they'd never do).
                      True.
                      Instead, they would blame it on Arafat and have anti-Palestine protests.

Comment

This does not sound very good to me. In the past this is how wars were started. . .
                        Donate to the American Red Cross.
                        Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_www
                          This does not sound very good to me. In the past this is how wars were started. . .
                          Well, it's not like we were doing anything else anyway. I mean, we sort of ran with that Afghanistan thing as far as it could go.
                          -30-

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            And college students today have what to do with the Rape of Najing? Might as well expect us to slug Japanese folks for the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
                            You don't understand the situation comrade.

I am sure some German students making fun of Jews is going to go over well, particularly in Israel.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The thing was that they weren't targetting China specifically.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by st_swithin
                                Yeah, after the rape of Nanjing, the Chinese seem to have a big chip on their collective shoulder. According to you people, they should just say "It's ok, Japan - we forgive you for those 400,000 Chinese civilians you raped and slaughtered."

And of course, empathy shouldn't be expected - they all look alike anyway, naked and tortured and murdered in a pile like that. They have nothing to be sensitive about, right?
                                So rioting and threatening Japanese students who weren't even born at the time is the proper response. Or is China just waiting for the chance to commit its own atrocities on the Japanese. I agree wholeheartedly that Japan needs to apologize and generally be more contrite for its actions during WWII, but bad behavior is still bad behavior. And the reasons for these riots are tenuous.
                                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X