Patton
    24.07%
    Rommel
    64.81%
    Banana
    11.11%
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

I'm voting Patton, simply because his personality was so much more colorful, but both were truly brilliant strategists/tacticians, and I'd be hard pressed to pick one over the other.
    "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
    "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
    "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

Guderian.
      "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

you sad tossers.
        Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

I named my golden retriever (RIP) after Rommel.

Just thought you should know.

Comment

Patton was better because he won. But you can't help but have fondness for Rommel's style.

It's about like Hannibal. Amazing general, but not the best because he didn't follow up his victories by sacking Rome and because he ended up being beaten. Grant gets very high marks because he did what it took to win, even if his MO was rather brutish.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Rommel had far better dress sense. But, then again, Patton won.
              "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

I think it would have been interesting to see what would have happened had Rommel not been so severely handicapped by his leadership/supplies.
                "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

You're too hard on the man, Dan. Look what he did to the English again and again with a handful of Germans and a mob of Italians! Give him half of what Patton had in material, air support, and supply and Egypt would have been his!

Also, nobody could have defended europe, Germany was already beaten by the Rooskies and the bombing. The allies had almost endless force which nothing could have competed with. This was Hitlers fault. If Patton was a German, he would have lost too, because Germany had no chance against the power of allied industry, yes?

His attack into France in '40....incredible! What a guy.

Comment

Look what he did to the English again and again with a handful of Germans and a mob of Italians!

Well, his opponents were English. Not the Navy, either.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Patton took a huge advantage in men, material, supplies, air power, tanks, etc and was able to win.

Rommell had the reverse of that and was able to come damn close.

No contest.
                      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

"Well, his opponents were English. Not the Navy, either."

If you had said 'French', as in '40, I'd have agreed, but the English? I don't see a heck of alot of difference between English and Americans, imo. English troops are tough SOBs!

Comment

Originally posted by uh Clem
                          Guderian.
                          Guderian. Rommel is overrated.
                          Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                          Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                          Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

I don't see a heck of alot of difference between English and Americans, imo. English troops are tough SOBs!

Yeah, but Monty was the best general they could come up with. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of their army, is it?
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

"Yeah, but Monty was the best general they could come up with. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of their army, is it?"

He was pretty bad...

Comment

Working...
                              X