France wants to ban religious and political symbols from schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben:

This is precisely why a Christian/Jewish/Muslim necklace isn't concerned by the law. And this is precisely why kippas and muslim scarves belong to the huge "grey zone", where we can't say for sure whether the display intends at being shown, or whether it intends at fulfilling one's own spirituality.

This is precisely why this laws solves nothing. The "grey zone" is as bad as before.

Dissident:
    Only public Schools are under the great founding principle of laicism. By the same token, politics is supposed banned from school as well. Both political and religious proselytism are supposed to be out of the school's territory. The Muslim scarves haven't been an issue at all for other things than schools.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• I think everyone in public schools should wear uniforms. I also have no problem with a total ban on the display of religious and political symbols in schools.

There is a recent SCOTUS decision on Jewish skullcaps and the military. The Supremes said it a military ban on wearing such headgear indoors was not a violation of "free exercise of religion." I think the Supremes were right.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• wow Ned, not the answer I expected from you...

I agree with a total ban on the display of religious and political symbols in schools. As for uniforms? I don't like uniforms, but I think each local school district should have the right to decide this for themselves. However, if you are not going to have uniforms, I don't think it's right to prevent kids from wearing religious symbols or garb.

I also think that teachers should not wear exposed religious symbols. They are employees of the school, and the school is a part of the state, and the state should be religion free. If they don't like it, they are welcome to quit and teach at a private school.

I don't get what the big deal is. Kids are at school for like 6-8 hours. Is it SO TERRIBLE that you can't wear religious things? I'm especially disappointed in the response from Christians hear. What does the ten commandments say about worshipping graven images and idols? IIRC, faith is what is important. I don't recall the commandment saying, "Thou shall wear a cross at all times!"

get off your high horses.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• ...especially since Christians are barely concerned with the law. I don't remember having seen any "ostentatoire" display of Christianty during my whole stay at School (14 years).

In comparison with the very many T-shirts featuring an agressive American flag, a Hammer&Scickle, or a Che Guevara, I hardly see these religious symbols as an issue
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
          X