Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What, in your opinion, is the worst crime.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While i would agree with you that we would choose to live, i think that can be attributed to human nature. We don't know what death entails, so we fear it. even if death is nothing, it's better than insanity.
    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

life is pain

it is not a pain ballance that we use to determine whether life is worth living

it is a hope ballance, a dream ballance

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
        If any of you knows a rape victim, as I do, then you'd realise how stupid answering rape is. Most would rather have been raped than be dead.
        On the other hand, while many people commit suicide, nobody wants to be raped voluntarily.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Spec

Some rapes last for over a month.
          Damn, what did that guy eat? Oysters? Garlic?
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
            If any of you knows a rape victim, as I do, then you'd realise how stupid answering rape is. Most would rather have been raped than be dead.
            I agree completely, and for the same reasons. The same logic applies to child sexual abuse. I know more than a few people who have suffered this, and none of them would select having been killed instead. Many of them have a lot of difficulty sustaining relationships as adults it is true, but most are making progress with this. None of them has abused children to my knowledge, except for some who acted out on other children when they were still young.

I think a lot of people are choosing based on what terrifies them. It seems that torture and rape terrify a lot of people more than death does, but I'll wager that almost anyone who has survived torture or rape or sex abuse will rather be who they are now than dead. Plus, you can always kill yourself later if you change your mind.
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

nobody wants to be raped voluntarily.

it's impossible to be raped voluntarily, because rape involves non-consent on one party... to be voluntarily...

even so, i think it's worse to have torture: all the other choices in that poll can be combined into the generalized notion of torture in one form or another.
              B♭3

Comment

Lèse-majesté.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander

I agree completely, and for the same reasons. The same logic applies to child sexual abuse. I know more than a few people who have suffered this, and none of them would select having been killed instead. Many of them have a lot of difficulty sustaining relationships as adults it is true, but most are making progress with this. None of them has abused children to my knowledge, except for some who acted out on other children when they were still young.

I think a lot of people are choosing based on what terrifies them. It seems that torture and rape terrify a lot of people more than death does, but I'll wager that almost anyone who has survived torture or rape or sex abuse will rather be who they are now than dead. Plus, you can always kill yourself later if you change your mind.
                  I argee with you

but it doesn't change the fact that child abuse, torture and rape are all a lot more painful than death (has to be)

that is what we are ignoring here

of course people want to live

and that is right

but it doesn't change the fact that life is more painful

what is more painful is less pleasant

the reason why people want to live is because they have hopes and dreams and duty

not because the alternative is more painful

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                  X