Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Allies have handled Post-WW2 differently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the Allies have handled Post-WW2 differently?

Right after the end of WW2, the Allies were in a position of strength compared to the Soviet Union. The US' economy and military were booming and had a nuclear monopoly while the Soviet Union was recovering from a devastating land campaign. Churchill argued that the Allies should have used that position of strength to pressure Stalin to negotiate a settlement, rather than wait until the Soviet Union assimilated Eastern Europe.

Should the Allies have done things differently with the Soviet Union in the years immediately following the end of WW2?
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Considering we didn't have a ww3... I'd say we did okay.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yeah, but we had the Cold War, Veitnam, Korea, Afganistan etc...

The allies should really have *forced* Stalin to allow free elections in eastern Europe, instead of 40-50 years later. But they didn't, and that's history for you.

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

The Soviet Union was no pushover in the conventional military. That would have been one nasty fight in Europe, a Europe which was tired of war.

Nukes? We had 'em, the Soviets didn't. Right, that's always a winning strategy - in real life or civ!!!
        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

The Americans did not have nukes until 15 months after the end of the war in Europe. If they confronted the Soviet Union, they would have to fight a conventional war. That was impossible while fighting against Japan as well.
          "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
          George Orwell

Comment

Actually, in a conventional war in Europe in May of 1945, the Western Allies would have absolutely destroyed the Red Army. No question. Further, US strategic bombers would have devastated the Soviet Union itself.

In any case, while I don't believe we should have fought WW2 to begin with, we certainly should not have allowed Stalin to set up puppet communist nations in Eastern Europe.
            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Er yeah. And we'd have justified a war how? The Soviets just kicked the Nazis back to Berlin.
              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I'm just saying, we woulda stomped them
                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

What we shoulda done is stop the aid to Russia once victory was almost inevitable. Russia would not have given up fighting, I think Stalin was too stupid and obstinant to negotiate a seperate peace, but it wouldn't make that much difference to the outcome if they did. The Allies could then have liberated Eastern Europe itself while Russia stood around as an impotent bystander.
                  From our post Cold-War viewpoint it would have been a grand plan. From the viewpoint of Roosevelt and maybe Churchill it would have unnecessarily cost more lives and time. The route they chose was the most expedient road to peace, so I have no qualms when all is said and done.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I think it would have been a crime against humanity to continue world war 2 a day longer than necessary or to risk a new war with Russia.

One fact people forget is the allies won the war but the allied armies were exhausted. The British army in particular just staggered over the line after 6 years of war. If the war had been prolonged or restarted there was a strong chance of a mutiny by the troops.

Similarly the Russian people longed for peace having suffered unimaginably during the war. There was enormous popular respect for their achievements at the time and a feeling the Red Army was invincible.
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Plus, Harry S. Truman told in his memories that the reason for not discuss with Stalin and give him so much control of Easter Europe was that the US govt. believed that they will need the help of the USSR to attack Japan, in order to minimize losses.

Please remember who bad were the estimation of losses if an attack over the main islands of Japan should have been done.
                      Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

You should also consider that declaring war on the Soviet Union would have meant immediate war with almost all partizan forces in formerly occupied countries.

The problem would be the worst in Asia, where Malaysians, Vietnamese, Philippinos and Chinese had each considerable communist partizan forces, who had fought against the Japanese. With it's nationalist movement at full steam, India would be easy pickings for the Communists too. Also in Europe, British positions in Greece would be untenable if the partizan army were to have the support of the neighbouring countries. Not to mention that the Allies would have trouble holding France and Italy proper, where the communist parties were extremely powerful, so powerful that only marginally did they miss getting into power in the first post-war elections.

All you military experts forget that it's not just how many divisions you have on the border that judges the outcome of a war. The communist movement was so strong that taking action against the Soviet Union at that time would make any capitalist state unsafe, even the British Empire and the United States.
                        "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                        George Orwell

Comment

hmmm, I think that overstates it - partisans never had much more than a nuisance value - but you are right in the sense that such a war would not have had wide popular support.
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

However had that happend, Russia may today have been a prospering democracy
                            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

more likely a smoking ruin

The idea of allied troops fighting over the same devastated ground the Germans invaded is quite obscene when you think about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X