Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd actually take the Jim Brown Cleveland Browns for running attack. '72 Miami had a great running attack, one of the best ever, but Brown's Browns () were phenomenal at it. Amazing O-Line and best RB of all time.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I'll grant you that Csonka, Kiick, and Morris was a pretty amazing combo. The other teams you mentioned were basically one-back teams.

IIRC Roland Harper came very close to 1000 yards in tandem with Walter one year, pre-Ditka; Suhey was solid but never really came close. In Sayers' glory years, the FB was an afterthought. The year where both he and Piccolo did well was post-surgery for Sayers, and he wasn't the same guy. And I can't remember any other back on Cleveland.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Coach Dan Reeves has been released by the Atlanta Falcons

Flowery Branch, Ga. (Dec. 10, 2003) -- The Atlanta Falcons announced that Dan Reeves has been released from his contract effective immediately. Falcons defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, at Reeves' recommendation, was named interim head coach for the remaining three games of the season.

"Yesterday, I advised Dan that we've decided to bring in a new head coach beginning in the 2004 season," said Falcons owner and CEO Arthur M. Blank. "Dan asked to be released from his position immediately and we agreed to do so, even though our desire was for him to stay on through the rest of the season."

"We want to begin the process of searching for a new head coach in a thorough and honest manner," said Blank. "In order to do so, and as Dan and I previously discussed, I wanted to let him know of our decision first. This conversation also puts the club in a position to operate in an open and honest environment during the final weeks of the season, and to proceed with our plans for the future."

After nearly seven seasons, the Dan Reeves era is over in Atlanta as the head coach was released from his contract. Reeves led the Falcons to the playoffs twice, including Super Bowl XXXIII. Reeves, who earned his 200th career win in 2003, will be replaced by defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.

The decision to hire a new head coach beginning in the 2004 season was based on a number of factors related to the long-term plans and success of the franchise. "This decision is purely tied to our plans for the future success of our franchise," Blank said. "We have made significant commitments to our fans and the community, and significant changes throughout other areas of the club. Now is the right time to set the course for our future in the coaching area, as well."

It is anticipated that the selection of a new head coach will be announced after the end of the regular season.

"Dan's record in the NFL speaks for itself," said Blank. "He has had a long and successful NFL career as a head coach, assistant coach and player, and his Hall-of-Fame-caliber accomplishments will have a place in the NFL record and history books for years to come.

We are grateful to Dan for his many contributions to the Falcons during his seven seasons with us," Blank continued. "Through his commitment and character, he has earned the respect of our entire organization."

Reeves began his head coaching career in Denver where he compiled a 117-79-1 record from 1981-1992. He led the Broncos to three Super Bowl berths, four AFC Championship games, five AFC West Division titles, and eight winning seasons, while also being named Coach of the Year in 1984, 1989 and 1991. In 1993, Reeves was named head coach of the New York Giants where, during his first year, he earned Coach of the Year honors for a fourth time, taking the Giants to an 11-5 mark, including a wild-card playoff victory.

Reeves came to Atlanta in 1997 after a four-year stint as head coach of the New York Giants. In his second season with the Falcons, Reeves was named Coach of the Year for the fifth time in his career as he led the Falcons to the NFC West title with a 14-2 record and the club's first ever Super Bowl appearance. During the 2002 season, Reeves led the Falcons to a berth in the NFC playoff field as a wild-card participant, when the Falcons became the first team ever to defeat the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field in a playoff game.

Reeves leaves the Falcons having achieved the milestone of becoming just the seventh coach in NFL history to reach 200 victories in his career. He also holds the distinction of being the most-winning active coach in the league. Overall, Reeves has accumulated 12 winning seasons as head coach, and participated in 50 playoff games and nine Super Bowls as an NFL player, assistant coach and head coach.

Wade Phillips has 27 years of NFL coaching experience, including three seasons as head coach for the Buffalo Bills from 1998 through 2000 and two seasons as head coach of the Denver Broncos during the 1993 and 1994 seasons. He served as interim head coach in New Orleans for the final four games of the 1985 season. This is his second season with the Falcons.

Comment

• Would be a definite upgrade in Chicago...
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• And I can't remember any other back on Cleveland.

Did you really any other ? When you star RB stayed in on basically every play and had an avg of 5.2 for his career, I wouldn't have taken him out .

--

As for Reeves, what a GREAT week for the Falcons . Vick has a great game and Reeves gets fires... best week of the season, BY FAR!

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Jacksonville has the potential to be an awesome team.

They have a young QB who is quite good
              They have an excellent O Line (Against TB I saw two occasions at least when Meester (the Center) didn't have anyone to block).
              They have a good defence
              They just need an effective running back.

Comment

• They just need an effective running back.

*cough* Fred Taylor

Comment

• Point taken.

Comment

• I think the only thing they do have is an effective RB .

Comment

• I think Tim Hasselbeck will take over the starting QB job at Washington permanently next year. He had a couple of good starts in replacement of Ramsey. He'll start the rest of the Skins games this year and continue to do well. I'm actually a bit worried about the Eagles season finale vs. Skins now that I know he will be starting.

TH never got into a regular season game as a practice squad player with the Eagles but it was clear from preseason games he got into the past couple years that he had the skills to be an NFL quartback. In fact, I don't understand why teams aren't knocking down the doors for our 2 QB backups: Koy Detmer and AJ Feeley. They are better than half the starting QBs in the NFL right now.

Comment

• I think Tim Hasselbeck will take over the starting QB job at Washington permanently next year. He had a couple of good starts in replacement of Ramsey.

I doubt it. Ramsey has HUGE upside. He's gonna be a very good QB.

Comment

• Vick has a great game
                          16/33 for 179 yards and 5.42 yds per pass with 0 td's and 1 INT is a great game?

big deal, he's the most overrated player in the NFL... oooh he can scramble and get 145 yards. I'll laugh when someone hits him and ends his career.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            I think Tim Hasselbeck will take over the starting QB job at Washington permanently next year. He had a couple of good starts in replacement of Ramsey.

I doubt it. Ramsey has HUGE upside. He's gonna be a very good QB.

Well, you never know. They said the same thing about Jeff George at one time.

Hasselbeck is an NFL player and if he plays well in the rest of the skins games this season he deserves to compete for the starting job there.

He's a survivor just like his wife, the lovely Elizabeth Filarski from Survivor II.

Comment

• He's a survivor just like his wife, the lovely Elizabeth Filarski from Survivor II.
                              ::PUKE::
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• 16/33 for 179 yards and 5.42 yds per pass with 0 td's and 1 INT is a great game?

You forgot the 141 yards rushing, and leading them to a win.

he's the most overrated player in the NFL

Overrated means not as good as the hype. Vick lives up to the hype (and more), especially considering this is his first start of his 2nd year.

I'll laugh when someone hits him and ends his career.

You mean like what happened with Randall Cunningham? Oh wait.

Comment

Working...
                                X