Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think you are confusing teams who build there offense for the run and teams that build their offense for the pass, but run the ball. The Rams pass the ball far more than they run, even though they are OK at running the ball. Their offensive line is primarily pass blockers, with the exception of Kyle Turly (aquired only this year). The 90s Cowboys were also a very good passing team.

When teams build their team to run at the expense of the pass they don't do as well.

I think you confusing teams that have balanced offenses for teams that build their offenses for the pass. The St. Louis Rams during their two Superbowl marches were balanced teams. For example, in their 1999 Superbowl run they were 16th in rushing attempts while 20th in passing attempts. In 2001 they were more pass oriented (Martz's influence), being 12th passing attempts and 22nd in rushing attempts. However, in 2001 they were also #1 in rushing YPA and rushing TDs. They were still a fairly balanced team if you look at the number of their attempts.

And btw, if you are looking at this years Rams, saying Orlando Pace isn't as good a run blocker as he is a pass blocker is just being blind.

'90s Cowboys being a passing team . That team was definetly BUILT for the run. The offense went through Emmitt.

Denver's two Superbowl years 1997-98, they were built through the run (look it up, in 1998 they were 2nd in rushing attempts and only 21st in passing attempts).

Baltimore has been built on the run. KC has been built through the run.

There are a LOT of successful teams that have built through the run that you wouldn't even consider so. And a running game is something that is needed in the playoffs. Not just to keep teams honest, but to use it to win games.

Successful teams that are dominant because of their passing usually have run up large leads by the middle of the third quarter and end up running the ball for the last quarter and a half to eat up the clock. Running against lines that already know they've lost. This can easily pad the rushing stats making the team appear to be a successful running team in comparison.

Some yards perhaps. But you have to have a good running back and o-line in order to do this. Teams know you are going to try to run out the clock, so they'll key for the run. No team that sucked at the run is consistantly able to run out the clock .

Though, as we have seen, it doesn't hurt to have a great defense. Yet even that is not always the case; i.e. the Niners this year, and The Charges through most of the 90s.

I don't think both teams are HURT by good defenses. I think without those D's they would suck even worse.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• The best run/run defense team I ever saw was the Miami Dolphin team that went undefeated.

The second best was the Pittsburgh team that won four Superbowls.

The Chicago Bears were the third best.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Ned, Ned, Ned. Now you know we have to jump down your throat for dissing da Bears like that...

Funny how that Miami team only won once. I saw them, too. I felt then, and still believe, that they were then (and are today) overrated. sorry, but that season was a fluke.

Those Pittsburgh teams were pretty darned good, but for one year, I'd put the '85 Bears up against any of them.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Those Pittsburgh teams were pretty darned good, but for one year, I'd put the '85 Bears up against any of them.

I dunno. If just looking at rushing/defense, I may take the '76 Steelers, who lost in the conference championship, but was a GREAT running team (two 1000 yard runners) and an amazing defense.

Though that Baltimore D in 2000 was amazing... look at the offense they had to carry.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            For example, in their 1999 Superbowl run they were 16th in rushing attempts while 20th in passing attempts. In 2001 they were more pass oriented (Martz's influence), being 12th passing attempts and 22nd in rushing attempts. However, in 2001 they were also #1 in rushing YPA and rushing TDs. They were still a fairly balanced team if you look at the number of their attempts.
            I don't remember them running so often. Must be me.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Cause all the passing gets the attention! They were a very nice running team and when Martz forgets to give the ball to Faulk is when they don't do as well.

Comment

Cause all the passing gets the attention! They were a very nice running team and when Martz forgets to give the ball to Faulk is when they don't do as well.
                You are so right.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• The Denver Broncos with Terrell Davis and Mike Anderson were the best running team I can remember. Their O-line was small and fast and knew how to run block.

If Portis had that line, man o man, would he be setting records.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Cause all the passing gets the attention! They were a very nice running team and when Martz forgets to give the ball to Faulk is when they don't do as well.
                    exactly. As in the superbowl a couple of years ago. Faulk can run the ball, we seen him do it many times. But during that game they did not utilize the run enough.

Comment

• It is also one of the reasons the Colts have lost early in the playoffs in the last few years. They seem to forget that James exists.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                        Funny how that Miami team only won once. I saw them, too. I felt then, and still believe, that they were then (and are today) overrated. sorry, but that season was a fluke.
                        /me takes a look into the NFL Superbowl and season history...

Uh, they won twice and went to 3 Super Bowls in a row. Looks like you have some selective memory going on there

In 1972, they scored the most points in the league while allowing the least points in the league as well. They had 2 1000 yard rushers and another with over 500 yards.

Maybe they are overrated, but they are still the only team to go undefeated. You have to be good to go undefeated luck not withstanding.

oh, and

1970 - 10-4
                        1971 - 10-3-1
                        1972 - 14-0
                        1973 - 12-2
                        1974 - 11-3
                        1975 - 10-4

While their undefeated season may be a "fluke" as you put it, they still put up some nice W-L percentages the years before and after. I'm not going to say they were the greatest team of all time, but they were certainly one of the greatest.

Does anyone else remember that strange computer simulation thing ESPN had going trying to play the greatest teams of all time against each other to see who was the best? Can't remember who won, but I don't think it was the Dolphins.
                        badams

Comment

• Yeah they were a good team, but definetly overrated. Their schedule was very, very weak (they only played two teams over .500 during the season). Though they were definetly the best team in the league that year.... but remember in the Superbowl, Washington was favored.

Oh, and while on this, I HATE the '72 Dolphins celebrating when the last undefeated team loses . I want to see anyone go undefeated (even the hated Bucs ) just to wipe that smirk of their faces .

Comment

• not gonna happen soon. but it would be cool to see.

Comment

• Washington might have been favored, but they were dominated and the score was closer than the actual game.

Yeah, their schedule was weak that year, but they were still a great team. Of course, their own division sucked (kind of like the Rams in 1999)

And I agree that I would like to see another team go undefeated.
                              badams

Comment

• Well, the 1984 49ers and the 1985 Bears both were great teams, no doubt at all about that. Both went 18-1. Both dominated their opponents. Most games were not even close. The differnce in the two teams was that Montana was a great quarterback, while McMahon was just good. The Bears won with defense and running. But so did the undefeated Miami team. I think the Bear defense was better than Miami's. However, the Miami running attack was perhaps the most dominate ever - better than the Chicago team with Sayers or the Cleveland team with Brown.
                                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                                X