No announcement yet.

Saving Jessica Lynch- next Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, I thought it was a 'would you do her' thread, can a Mod please take one of the 'yes' and add one to the 'an@l banana'

Comment

Where did the initial BS about her going Rambo and hosing down dozens of ragheads with her rifle come from? When listening to the hero stories in April, you almost got the impression she fixed her bayonnet and single-handedly cleared a trench before she was captured.

The truth seems to be that she was knocked half-dead by a RPG-induced car chrash and saved only by the honour and mercy of Iraqi soldiers.
      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
        Where did the initial BS about her going Rambo and hosing down dozens of ragheads with her rifle come from? When listening to the hero stories in April, you almost got the impression she fixed her bayonnet and single-handedly cleared a trench before she was captured.

The truth seems to be that she was knocked half-dead by a RPG-induced car chrash and saved only by the honour and mercy of Iraqi soldiers.
        And, it appears, by Pfc, Miller.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Besides, the US needs heroes now, that they can give a real face. It's a great opportunity to take this chance. So you modify the story little bit.. I guess that irritates lots of people, and there will be artistic freedoms to be taken place but.. I think we should focus on bashing the directors etc after seeing how it really was made, but we shouldn't bash Jessica. She's not to blame.
          I'm not blaming Jessica. I am angry that this country has grown so disgustig that to make money all we have to do is look patriotic. The US military service people are becoming a bunch of superheroes in the eyes of Americans. They should be respected but not be used to make movies and money from.

Jessica's story is an ordinary one. She did nothing extraordinary, didn't shoot anyone. And the soldiers that went and saved her I believe didn't have to fire a shot either.

Jessica and the soldiers are brave for serving in Iraq and I respect them, but getting all of this attention and headlines is ridiculous. So many stories just like hers and much worse have happened in war and no one does anything about it.

Not to mention how unrealistic the movie is and how it will be dramatized to a great extent.
          "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

And, it appears, by Pfc, Miller.
            Sure, but he did not bring her to the hospital, did he?
            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie

Sure, but he did not bring her to the hospital, did he?
              I certainly am not discounting the fact that the Iraqi's saved her life as well.

If any of those on the Iraqi side of the battle are still alive, it would be interesting to get their stories as well.
              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

I certainly am not discounting the fact that the Iraqi's saved her life as well.

If any of those on the Iraqi side of the battle are still alive, it would be interesting to get their stories as well.
                Mark Bowden is the man...

Comment

It seems like this movie will be politically correct. It isn't portraying Jessica Lynch as the hero (which is good because she isn't a hero), but it is portraying the Iraqis who helped her as heros. I can't complain about that, as that is more truthful.

Another good thing this film does well, is it doesn't use the Pentagon bull**** that was spewed the days after the attack. It doesn't show her fighting back and shooting Iraqis (when in truth she did not fire a single shot). And during the resuce, the movie shows no resistance to the special forces team (which is true- there was no resistance).

But what irritates me is this is still a typical tv movie. Did anyone hear the previews? What was that sappy slow song they were playing? Why do these types of movies always have some sappy supposedly-inspirational/emotional song playing?

What is interesting is this movie is going up against Elizabeth Smart. I like the Daily Show's take on this. It's like the battle for America's favourite victim. .

What really disgusts me about all this is all the attention Lynch got. While non-white women like Lori Pestiewa got no attention whatsoever. She was the first native american woman killed in combat. And all the attention Elizabeth Smart got- yuk. It seems as if the media only cares about white women .

Comment

[ignorance]who's Elizabeth Smart? [/ignorance]
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

dissident

offensive, isn't it?

elizabeth smart is a 13year old who was abducted from her utah home by a psychotic mormon who still believed in polygamy, and sexually abused her for a year before he was caught and smart returned home.
                      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                        She was the first native american woman killed in combat.
                        You mean for our side, right?
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

yeah good point. . Yes our side.

And I heard that Smart was not sexual assaulted. At least not in the movie. I'm not sure if she was in real life though.

Comment

Working...
                          X