Dean wants to be the candidate for those flying the Confederate Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean wants to be the candidate for those flying the Confederate Flag

(CNN) -- Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean sparked criticism from his rivals Saturday after invoking the Confederate flag in a defense of his views on gun control.

"I still want to be the candidate for guys with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks," the former Vermont governor said in an interview published Saturday in the Des Moines Register. "We can't beat George Bush unless we appeal to a broad cross-section of Democrats."

It was at least the second time Dean publicly used the Confederate flag to describe Southern voters who often vote for Republicans.

Dean previously used the flag reference during a February meeting of the Democratic National Committee.

At that event, Dean received a rousing ovation from the crowd when he said, "White folks in the South who drive pickup trucks with Confederate flag decals on the back ought to be voting with us, and not [Republicans], because their kids don't have health insurance either, and their kids need better schools too."

All the other Democratic candidates at that time attended that session except Sen. John Kerry, of Massachusetts, who was absent for health reasons.

Kerry and Rep. **** Gephardt, of Missouri, both issued statements Saturday attacking Dean's recent comments.

Gephardt, who polls show is in a close race with Dean to win January's Iowa caucuses, wrapped his criticism in patriotism.

"I don't want to be the candidate for guys with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks. I will win the Democratic nomination because I will be the candidate for the guys with American flags in their pickup trucks," Gephardt's statement said.

Kerry used his statement to illustrate his views on gun control and his support of the NAACP.

"Howard Dean is justifying his pandering to the NRA by saying his opposition to an assault weapons ban allows him to pander to lovers of the Confederate flag," Kerry said in his statement. "It is simply unconscionable for Howard Dean to embrace the most racially divisive symbol in America. I would rather be the candidate of the NAACP than the NRA."

Dean told the National Rifle Association in a 1992 questionnaire that he opposed restrictions on private ownership of assault weapons, and received the NRA's highest ratings when he was governor.

Dean has said he believes gun control laws should be a state matter, a position that might be considered a liability with the liberal base of the Democratic party, which supports federal gun control measures.

Gephardt, the former House minority leader, said Dean appears to believe "that if we sacrifice our support for reasonable gun legislation like the assault weapons ban, we will win the support of those that disagree with us on bedrock Democratic values like civil rights."

But a Dean spokesman called the criticism "a desperate political attack on the part of Governor Dean's opponents."

Spokesman Jay Carson said Dean was trying to explain that Democrats need to broaden their appeal to Southern men, who in recent years have voted Republican in growing numbers. Carson said Dean has been using the flag line since he started campaigning, and that his rivals misconstrued it as support for the Confederate banner.

"He uses colorful language to describe what he means. That's all that he is doing," Carson said.

Dean's campaign staffers fired back at Kerry in particular, accusing him of writing off Southern voters.

Spokeswoman Trish Enright pointed to a March article in the Charlotte Observer, which quoted Kerry describing a strategy in which he could take the presidency without winning a single Southern state.

Just thought all the Dean supporters should be aware of this. After all, many of them think that when Republicans back the Confederate flag, they are pandering to racists. Is Dean pandering to racists?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

No, he's just an ignorant Yankee.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Shhh.. .you aren't a Dean supporter, Mike .
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

This is an old Dem. complaint: why do people who gain nothing financial from their allience with the Republican paty still back it so much?...which goes far to disprove the notion that human beings are solely profit maximizing machines chansing every buck.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

oh, god, hasn't the confederate flag/dead horse been flogged enough times?

dean's funny. still doubt i'll vote for him, but he's funny.
          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
            This is an old Dem. complaint: why do people who gain nothing financial from their allience with the Republican paty still back it so much?...which goes far to disprove the notion that human beings are solely profit maximizing machines chansing every buck.
            The Dems haven't been able to shed their tax and spend, big government, welfare state and whine about those evil military types images.

If you want to know what makes so many working class and middle class moderates and semi-conservative but not all the way card carrying RNC types puke, just listen to an hour of Barbara Boxer and her ilk.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I can't, I'd throw something thru the TV screen.

Comment

YEEEEEEHAHAH!HH!! REASIE TEH BOOONIE BLUE FLAG!!!
                "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

So Howie want to be my presidential candidate. Not likely Howie. But I'd love to see you in the general election.

Comment

Dean has my vote, as long as he supports my avatar

States Rights rule!

I know it won't be long until Ashcroft sets his sights on my immoral state. We can't let that happen. Vote democrat 2004!

Comment

Dean is right. The GOP hasn't done anything for the nation's working class or poor, whether white or black, Northern or Southern. In fact, they haven't even tried; they get their votes by getting them to believe that prayer in schools is a more important issue than affordable health care. If the Dems could get people to vote their material interests, the GOP wouldn't have a prayer. Luckily for the GOP, people aren't that bright and the Dems aren't competent enough to change that; Birkenstock-clad Berkely tree-huggers would rather bolt party than do the hard work of making common cause with white trash. And that's why the GOP's in charge.

But a Southerner with the confederate battle flag on his pick-up is still the same as a Bavarian with a nazi flag on his Volkswagen.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I really hope Dean is just pandering for votes. He could even try McCain's trick of getting Republican's to register as Democrats to help his nomination. I agree with him on most things, but if he actually supports the NRA, rather than just trying to get poor Southerners to vote for him, then he'd go down a lot in my estimation.

As it is, I think he's realised that there are a lot of people who want better education and healthcare, those who can't afford it privately, but don't want more regulation on their liberty, and he's trying to appeal to them. People who would vote Democrat, if they didn't think it meant more regulation. It could be a smart move, although it depends if they buy it.
                        Smile
                        For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                        But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

rufus:

If the Dems could get people to vote their material interests, the GOP wouldn't have a prayer. Luckily for the GOP, people aren't that bright and the Dems aren't competent enough to change that
                          If the GOP could get (minority) people to vote their social interests, the Dems wouldn't have a prayer. Luckily for the Dems, people aren't that bright and the GOP has too much of a democratic-fabricated rich, white man image to change that.

anyway, I wish Dean said this at one of those Black Caucus debates
                          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

He just wants to appeal to the broadest possible spectrum. Since confederate flag waving crackers were a big part of Bush's victory, it's not surprising Dean wants to take that vote away from him.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

First off the Repubicans aren't racist, their economically biased.

The Democrats are the racists. The KKK is a Democrat special interest. The Confederacy was Democrat, the slaveowners were Democrats, and waving the Confederate flag is a ploy to gain Southern Democrat votes.

The only reason the Democratic party calls Republicans racist is to cover up their own history as the Nazi Party equivilent of United States.

Comment

Working...
                              X