Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby World Cup 2003 - The Rugby Widows Weep!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tamerlin
    See you Monday gentlemen, I am away from home for the week-end...

Typical! Dashing off just when I turn up to apply some pressure!
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Fine performance by the French. They jogged along in the first half and went like the clappers in the second. I have to tell you, for what it's worth, several of the Australian TV commentators are big fans of the French. They think the French capable of going all the way.
      Only because: Australinas never support their ANZAC buddies, and the Aussies flatly refuse to support the eventual winners England.

I can't see France going all the way, myself

Comment

• Now, again, Scotland is far below the likes of England or South Africa. The question is now who will the French play against: Ireland or Argentina (it seems highly unlikely that Australia could lose against Ireland)?
        I wouldn't say "highly unlikely". In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Irish get an upset in that game.

Comment

• I didn't forget about it! I watched some of it! I only stopped because Mrs finbar, knowing I'd already booked the TV for 3 WRC matches, started to mutter under her breath!
          The Tamerlinites will start to tax you for excess

Comment

• Originally posted by Frozzy
            Only because: Australinas never support their ANZAC buddies, and the Aussies flatly refuse to support the eventual winners England.
            The former not necessarily so, the latter patently obviously - and justifiably - so.

I can't see France going all the way, myself
            They have the ability. Whether they have the mindset on the day is the difference, IMHO.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I wouldn't say "highly unlikely". In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Irish get an upset in that game.
              Depends on how the Irish approach it tactically, methinks. A version of the approach they used in Ireland late last year would cause the Wallabies heaps of problems.

Comment

The Tamerlinites will start to tax you for excess

I've lodged a claim challenging his copyright in the European Court. In the interim, I'm free to rip him off as much as I like.

Comment

• Gee.

Saints 32 -d- Leicester 15

Just in case Havak was hoping it might go unnoticed.

Mmmm. If England doesn't win the WRC, Havak's winter could just about, possibly, at a pinch, verge on the mildly gloomy.

Comment

• I still remember the times when Leicester had letters on their backs I think I was five then... never was big into English rugby

Comment

I still remember the times when Leicester had letters on their backs I think I was five then... never was big into English rugby
                      They seem to have swapped the letters on their backs for crosses.

Comment

• Ireland 16 - 15 Argentina

A contested match. The Irish win thanks to a try which owes a lot to their hooker, Woods.
                        The Pumas looked stronger in the first half, but the interception by Wood cost them the single try of the match. The Irish finished the match very well, beating the Pumas around the rucks, though they still had problems keeping the ball.

I didn't like the refereeing at all, however (hello Tamerlin). The ref did whistle a lineout which was less than 5 meters, thing that Italians did regularly illegally and without being penalised yesterday. However, he clearly advantaged the tackled when freeing the ball. Tackled players apparently have the right to keep the ball, turn themselves and roll over the ball while held, whereas the defenders, even on their feet, can't contest the ball. I also didn't understand how Wood could go steal the ball to Pichot without being penalised, but then the ref may have seen something we didn't see on TV.
                        Clash of Civilization team member
                        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Half time England 13 - 16 Samoa
                          Samoa made a great start. The fly half, Va'a, kicks 1 ball for 10 he passes and 2 he runs. Usually from his 22. Samoans scored a neat try. The question is whether the English pack will be able to wear down the Samoans. It's unlikely that their backs make a difference, unless Wilkinson has a stroke of genius, but he didn't make a very good start (missing 2 penalties won't help his morale).
                          Great match so far. I wish I could have seen Havak's face when the Samoans scored their try: somehting like this or or ?
                          Clash of Civilization team member
                          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Final score:

England 35
                            Samoa 22

Mmmm. Almost Havak's weekend from hell. Samoa achieved the same thing South Africa did, by different means. For two weeks in a row now, England, not allowed to settle, have looked more ragged than they should. I'm sure the coaches of certain other teams have learned heaps from England's efforts.

Comment

After watching the Irish effort tonight against Argentina, would you care to revise that thought?

Comment

• Originally posted by LDiCesare
                                I wish I could have seen Havak's face when the Samoans scored their try: somehting like this or or ?
                                I'm not sure about his face, but there would have been a brick-shaped hole in his TV screen.

Comment

Working...
                                X