• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Grocery Clerks Go on Strike

I don't know, I find this bizarre.

2 hours, 23 minutes ago
    By PAUL CHAVEZ, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES - Three major supermarket chains said Sunday they plan to hire temporary workers to keep hundreds of stores open as more than 70,000 grocery clerks in Southern California began a strike.

Clerks at Kroger Co.'s Ralphs, Safeway Inc.'s Vons and Albertsons grocery stores went on strike late Saturday after negotiations between union representatives and store officials broke off, with health care coverage a key sticking point.

Officials with the United Food and Commercial Workers union initially said strikers would only target Vons stores and urged the companies not to lock out workers from the others.

The supermarkets, however, said a strike against one company would be considered a strike against all three. In a joint statement, they said Albertsons and Ralphs would lock out employees during the dispute.

Plans were in the works to "ensure that stores remain open and staffed," the statement said. Sandra Calderon, a spokeswoman for Vons, said those plans include using temporary workers.

Clerks began picketing outside Vons markets late Saturday after last-minute negotiations involving a federal mediator broke down.

The companies operate about 900 stores from San Diego to Santa Barbara and control 60 percent of the Southern California market.

The union called on Southern Californians to honor picket lines and shop elsewhere. Under their contract, warehouse employees and truck drivers can also choose not to cross picket lines, said Paul Kenny, president of Teamsters Local Union No. 630.

Grocery clerks work a minimum of 24 hours a week, with 70 percent working part-time. They earn, on average, about $15 an hour, said Rick Icaza, president of UFCW Local 770 in Los Angeles and one of the negotiators.

Vons president Tom Keller said the chains' contract proposal does not call for wage reductions and asks employees to pay $5 a week for individual health care coverage and $10 to $15 a week for an entire family.

The union wants the companies to maintain health care plans and provide raises of 50 cents an hour the first year and 45 cents an hour the following two years, Icaza said.

The last time the grocery workers went on strike was 1978, with the walkout lasting less than a week.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Strike? Damn pinko commie bastards!
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Arnold should terminate them .
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

my employess (including me as well) tried to unionize.

Although before the vote we told the union to **** off. So there was no vote.

It wasn't a real serious attempt. We just waned to get our employers to listen to us. And it seemed to have worked. At least for now.

But unions are just too corrupt now days. They only serve themselves.

Comment

Nothing lazier than a Union worker with senority.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I heard they're hiring bagboys for around $20 an hour.

I'd take a temp job doing that in a heartbeat.

Comment

You ain't lying.

Comment

Go strikers. The the company wants to save mony cut the big-wigs paychecks, not the workers.

BTW, isn't hiring strike-breakers illegal?

Comment

BTW, isn't hiring strike-breakers illegal?

Since when?!!
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It should be if it is not.
                    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

$20/hr for a part-time bagger?? Someone's handing you a pile of manure. --Especially when the clerks are getting only $15 on average

The main sticking point is health benefits. The unionized stores want to cut beneifts, arguing they now have to compete with stores like Walmart that don't pay any beneifts.

Wal-Mart is one of the those leach employers that underpays its employees and sends its sick employees to the emergency rooms, which jams them up. The cost of these visits is charged to the taxpayers and to those of us with health benefits. On average 20% of the cost of health benefits goes to cover those working-poor without coveage.

L.A. County Sheriffs have already pulled two sickouts because the County wants to cut health benefits. Twice our courthouse has had too close down because of lack of security. A third sickout is planned for Tuesday.

Comment

Lets go burn all the Wal-Mart stores. Who's with me?

Comment

I just drove past 2 stores and the strikers are out in force and very "spirited"

They are whooping and hollering and jeering customers as they walk out of the stores

This could get ugly
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                            $20/hr for a part-time bagger?? Someone's handing you a pile of manure. --Especially when the clerks are getting only $15 on average
                            It's true. The grocery union here in St. Louis, MO went on strike last week and they're offering scabs 5 bucks an hour more than the union people week getting.
                            "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

I just want to get some mf'ing brocolli
                              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X