MrFun needs car advice . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    Why do you have to resort to such torture .
    Fairy dust or Pepsi -- you take your pick.

Or if you know something about the four cars I mentioned, speak now.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

Ok, but there was one customer review that was VERY negative towards the Saturn line. So I'm a little weary.

As for the Honda Accord -- I can't remember what price range I can expect by buying a used one. But since you mentioned that line, I will look that one up soon.
      As I said before go with Honda. They are better all-around cars than any of the four cars you have researched. A base model 2000 Accord should be around 10k. A 2000 Civic would be around 8k.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
        Aston martin's aren't built with ford components.
        Wanna bet? Uncle Henry's parts bin contributes a great deal to Astons.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Out of the 4, subaru. The sturdiest mofo of them all. In fact, my buddy bought a legacy outback for 15k, and 1.5 years (and som 20 k miles) after that he gets bids at 15-16 kEUR.
          Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
          Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
          Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Out of those four Subaru but I would most liekly go for a Maxima or an Accord which was a year or two older since they would be better cars and cost less.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
              I found four cars that I might consider:

2000 Nissan Altima, GXE Sedan -- rough estimate given: $10,500

2000 Saturn L-Series, LS1 Sedan -- rough estimate given: $8,700

2000 Ford Contour, SE Sport Sedan -- rough estimate given: $6,800

2000 Subaru Legacy, L AWD Sedan -- rough estimate given: $12,300

So ok -- I might have to splurge by getting a loan of as much as $13,000. But what do some Apolytoners think of these four choices?
              FORD -- I drive a Contour. It's a fun ride, decent power and nice handling. Mine's a '98, very basic, stick shift version. BUT I've had 6 factory recalls. That does not inspire confidence, and I won't be buying another Ford. (Also, they don't make it any more, so parts will be increasingly hard to find.) Not recommended.

SATURN -- I test-drove the Saturn, and it's very basic. If you want a utilitarian car without fun, it should be OK. But if you're considering a Saturn, you should also look at the Corolla and Civic.

SUBARU -- I have 2 friends who are total Subaru fanatics. One of them has two -- a Legacy and an Outback. They are both huge fans of their vehicles. On that basis -- highly recommended.

NISSAN -- I have no experience with the Altima, nor any speculation. It's like Nissan's answer to the Accord -- intended as a fairly boring, very dependable bit of family transportation.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Get the Subaru. Great car.
                Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Ok guys -- thanks for the info. I will definitely think about this some more.

Comment

Do not buy a Saturn or a Ford.
                    Nissan--parts are hard to come by.

YOU MUST ONLY BUY A TOYOTA OR A HONDA!!!! PERIOD!!!

I think you should spend a grand on a 10 year old beater and drive it into the ground for a couple of years, then repeat.
                    You are not in a fiscal position to be taking out loans for a car, as you have no income.
                    Wake up and smell the coffee.
                    Life and death is a grave matter;
                    all things pass quickly away.
                    Each of you must be completely alert;
                    never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

• $800 a month AFTER rent and utilities does not count as income?

But guess what -- the past few days I reexamined my finances and realized that I truly cannot afford to get a loan at this time. It will be cheaper for me to get the expensive repairs on my current car at this point, even if the repairs are more than what my car is worth.

Comment

• I truly cannot afford to get a loan at this time. It will be cheaper for me to get the expensive repairs on my current car at this point, even if the repairs are more than what my car is worth.
                        That doesn't make sense.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

• get a cheaper car then
                          Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

• Originally posted by Japher

That doesn't make sense.
                            Oh my God -- an Apolytoner who is surprised to find that something I said does NOT make sense.

repairs for current car = $800

loan for a different used car = $5,000 to $10,000

And don't tell me to get a used car for cheaper than $5,000 because when I am ready to finally get another used car, I want a GOOD used car.

Comment

• Has anyone suggested a Hummer?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
                                Has anyone suggested a Hummer?
                                No, but I think you're going to regret suggesting that to MrFun.
                                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                                X