MrFun needs car advice . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrFun needs car advice . . .

I have a 1988 Chevy Celebrity that I obtained from my mother about four years ago. But don't laugh at me, damn you!

Anyway, I have two major problems with my car -- one, the floating meter that measures how much gasoline I have in my tank is WAY inaccurate -- it will cost me $830 for the repairs.

Second, my car's entire brake system needs to be replaced -- and that will cost me about $380 for those repairs.

Now, considering the piece-of-sh*t car I have in the first place, I know that these repairs will be more than what my car is worth.

I already paid an entire semester of monthly rents on my student apartment with a small loan, and now I live off of about $820 every month with no utilities to pay for -- already paid for those too.

The past year, I have been thinking off and on about buying another, MUCH BETTER used car. So why should I get these EXPENSIVE repairs if I can just pay for a better used car?

Could I afford to do this? I would pay maybe $500 a month on a used car, just to get it paid in a shorter amount of time.

But I'm also looking in the range of $5,000 to $7,000.

Thanks for any help.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

get a Subaru. our 91' Legacy hasn't let me down yet. (we have it for 2-3 years or so ) *knocks on wood*
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Get you a Toyota Tacoma pickup.
      My '96 has never failed me.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

A pickup truck??
        A pickup truck??

Oh, and I do know a friend who got a used 2000 or 2001 car for about $7,000.

So I thought I could try to find something around that price for a 2000 or 2001??

Comment

Buy German or Japanese.
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Japanese is cheaper, and has got cheaper spare parts. Reliability is similar ( in both cases, the cars are reliable ).

The costs vary, of course.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Do you have any friends who know how to fix cars? (probably a stupid question)
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

One gal who is a friend of mine has a boyfriend who knows how to fix cars -- and he and I are friends, too.

But he does not have the major tools that my repairs would entail.

I'm just about ready to say "fvck it" with this car I have, since the past year, I have been thinking of buying a used 2000 or 2001 car.

Comment

Definitely time to move on. I buy American, but that's more of a personal problem.

in your situation, a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, or Nissan Sentra would be the best samll cars. If you can move up in class a bit, the Accord and Legacy are good calls.

My mother in law drives Honda Civics and has gotten at least 150K miles with no problems on the 2 she's had...
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

UGH -- one of my other friends said that Honda is utter KRAPOLA.

Comment

Toyota Tacoma (ahem, another plug) is assembled in the USA.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

My real advice is to suck it up and get a real car.

Free financing for 5 years is easy to get on a new car, but you'll pay 7 to 10 percent financing someone else's problems.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Toyota Tacoma (ahem, another plug) is assembled in the USA.
                          Still, gay men don't drive pick-ups. Though I know a gay guy who drives a 89' Ford Bronce... Last year they made the hard top convert... I think. Nice car, apart from it being a Ford...

Get a hybrid you pansy.
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

I've got an '89 Honda Accord that just passed 220,000 miles. It is, of course, falling apart now, but all in all it's lasted a long time.

I'd recommend against a 2000 or 2001 used car if you're only spending $7k or so. Remember, there's a reason why such cars are cheap, even when they're new.

Go for something in the early- to mid-90s.
                            the good reverend

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

Still, gay men don't drive pick-ups.

BIG deal.
                              Here's probably his one and only chance to be a trend-setter, and not a follower.

Comment

Working...
                              X