Is probability so hard to understand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is probability so hard to understand?

Yesterday I was telling my mom about probability. She didn't understand any of it.

I was saying to her, if you flip a coin 10 times, and heads came up 9 times, does it mean that head has a 90% chance to come up the next flip? Of course not. When you roll a die 6 times, and 5 came up all 6 times, does it mean that 5 will come up next time as well? Of course not.

But she didn't understand. Why can't people grasp such simple concepts?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

So what's the difference between probability and actuarial science?
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Probability is a big conspiracy! God does not play dice. Dont listen to the devil's preachings!

There's about 100% probability that I may not be serious when I said that.
      :-p

Comment

Cause its math beyond arithmatic and thus by definition NOT simple..shees, why can't science types understand somehting so simple?
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Probabilities are not simple. How exactly would a computer calculate a completely random value? Not easily. Of course when you're talking in stupid terms, like the physical realm of a coin, then probability is more of a joke. Much easier to understand...

Can you write a truly accurate simulation of the perfect dice, UR? Did not think so.

Comment

When you roll a die 6 times, and 5 came up all 6 times, does it mean that 5 will come up next time as well? Of course not.
            Yes it will! The dice are obviously loaded.
            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

When you roll three dice, what's the chance of having at least one six?

Comment

50% I think
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

When you roll three dice, what's the chance of having at least one six?

Comment

Sorry for the delayed double post...

Boshko: and with six dice? 100%?

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                      Probabilities are not simple. How exactly would a computer calculate a completely random value? Not easily. Of course when you're talking in stupid terms, like the physical realm of a coin, then probability is more of a joke. Much easier to understand...

Can you write a truly accurate simulation of the perfect dice, UR? Did not think so.
                      Understanding probability and generating random numbers on a computer aren't the same thing.

Computers can never be perfect at generating random numbers because all they are is glorified input/output devices. The input defines the output, which means it needs to start from something, which means it can never truly be random.

This is a very different thing from saying we don't understand how probability works.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

experience

Your mom is probably used to loaded dice.
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                          Cause its math beyond arithmatic and thus by definition NOT simple..shees, why can't science types understand somehting so simple?

No, it's not the calculations, it's the basic concepts behind it.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

What is the probability of this thread becoming way boring??
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

3d6 to get at least one 6: 42+%
                              6d6 to get at least one 6: 66+%
                              10d6 to get at least one 6: 83+%

See, lots of fun.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                              X