Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the Bush administration signaled the end of conservatism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrFun
    Hey Kidicious -- compassion is not a Democratic trait, nor is greed a Republican trait.

THEY ARE INDIVIDUAL TRAITS NOT RELATED TO POLITICAL PARTIES.
    Caps don't make it true.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

Caps don't make it true.

You seem to be prejudiced by lumping individualistic traits onto whole groups of people.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• There are two ways to get a worker to work harder: punishment and rewards. Slavery is about punishment. Greed is about rewards. History has amply demostrated that greed is better that punishment in getting more work for less cost. As a result, slavery virtually disappearded from the Roman Empire just as an example.

Marxism reintroduced slavery to the world by eliminating rewards and greed from the labor equation leaving only punishment or laziness. It is strange that Marxist declare greed immoral. Maxism is evil.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• More on Bush's "conservatism" from Paul Krugman in Tuesday's NYT:

...in July two enterprising Middle Eastern firms started offering cellphone service in Baghdad, setting up jury-rigged systems compatible with those of neighboring countries. Since the collapse of Baghdad's phone system has been a major source of postwar problems, coalition authorities should have been pleased.

But no: the authorities promptly shut down the services. Cell service, they said, could be offered only by the winners in a bidding process — one whose rules, revealed on July 31, seemed carefully designed to shut out any non-American companies. (In the face of strenuous protests the rules were revised, but still seem to favor the usual suspects.) Oddly, the announcement of the winners, originally scheduled for Sept. 5, keeps being delayed. Meanwhile, only Paul Bremer and his people have cellphones — and, thanks to the baffling decision to give that contract to MCI, even those phones don't work very well. (Aside from the fact that its management perpetrated history's biggest accounting fraud, MCI has no experience in building cell networks.)
          Free Enterprise...

Who's Sordid Now?
          "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

• I can fully understand why the US would want Iraq's cellphone system to be compatible with US standards. This is more than just throwing business to American companies since manufacturers all over the world now supply cell phone equipment to the US.

As to MCI getting a contract, I have no idea why there should be a contract. There should be standards, but no contract. I say, let anyone who wants make the investment.
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• There are two ways to get a worker to work harder: punishment and rewards. Slavery is about punishment. Greed is about rewards. History has amply demostrated that greed is better that punishment in getting more work for less cost. As a result, slavery virtually disappearded from the Roman Empire just as an example.

Marxism reintroduced slavery to the world by eliminating rewards and greed from the labor equation leaving only punishment or laziness. It is strange that Marxist declare greed immoral. Maxism is evil.
              Yup

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun

You seem to be prejudiced by lumping individualistic traits onto whole groups of people.
                I was conservative for a few years when I was ignorant, but lets face it when you get older and you still haven't figured it out its because of your individual trait that you believe that those who are fortunate should stay that way and those who aren't fortunate that way.

Comment

I was conservative for a few years when I was ignorant, but lets face it when you get older and you still haven't figured it out its because of your individual trait that you believe that those who are fortunate should stay that way and those who aren't fortunate that way.
                  I'm not sure I understand what you're saying?

Comment

You may have been ignorant... and thought you were a conservative... but just because you associate conservatisim with wanting to keep the unfortunate down doesn't mean that MANY conservatives feel that way. Your view of how conservatives feel is what's wrong... but then again... it's just your opinion... and a bad one.

And again I must ask... how do you help those unfortunates... Last time, you just claimed that you did nothing because you were poor... typical... Just because you are poor doesn't mean that you can't volunteer your time to help others... or is that something other people should do... and not something a liberal like you should do.
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• When I was in college my buddies and I "adopted" this HS kid named Matt.

We met him hanging out at the 7-11, he knew all the bums, was on independent study, and was really bored all the time...

We got him into D&D, started helping with his homework, and got him to take more advanced classes.

His mom was blind and a pot head, though many of us were too, and he would look out for her all the time. Because of this Matt grew up really fast and the only people he had to turn to was his friends. His friends were a bunch of liberal spouters who were bums and us. Sad that a 16 year old had no friends his age.

He graduated high school my second junior year and started working construction. He began to become really angry at his dead beat mom and was sick of the manual labor.

We set him up with entrance exams at the city college, helped him study, and took went to his house pulled him out of bed and sat him in the desk to take the exams.

The last time I saw him he had got into Sac state as an electrical engineer, was pulling enough in student loans to cover his costs of living, and was working a part time job to help support his mom.

Why this story?

Charity begins at home and not at the White House.

Time is more valuable than any amount of my money.

People don't need cash to be encouraged they need someone to get them off their lazy butt, and social programs simply don't supply that.

Am I Republican? For sure.

Am I selfish and greedy with my money? Of course!

Am I selfish and greedy with my time? No.

Some people feel that throwing money at a problem will make it go away, but that doesn't work. I have seen it all my life, and way to personally to get into. Most liberals will be the first one to claim that money is the root of all evil, yet turn around and ask for more of it. To me, asking/begging for money is more greedy than asking/begging to keep what I have.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming
                        ... or is that something other people should do... and not something a liberal like you should do.
                        Hey careful -- don't stoop down to his level by insulting all liberals.

Be thankful that you have liberals like me who don't see conservatives/Republicans as evil incarnate.

Comment

• You need to read it again MrFun...

I stated "and not something a liberal like you should do"

My comment was aimed at rabid, one dimensional, narrow minded liberals who see the world in only black and white, and make BAD gross assumptions about people based soley on political affiliations... not liberals like yourself who view people as individuals and not just as one of the masses who believe in a certain political pov.
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Japher

Charity begins at home and not at the White House.
                            Charity is not enough. It never will be. That's a fact. Simple as that.

Comment

• Charity is not enough. It never will be. That's a fact. Simple as that
                              So it's not really about being greedy is it?
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Japher

So it's not really about being greedy is it?
                                Huh? If Charity isn't enough, and that's all you want to do then that is greedy.

Comment

Working...
                                X