Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filled it out. Do I get a free Blockbuster movie rental or something?

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
      DanQ - what is the difference really between university and college? It might mean something different in canada than in the u.s.?
      The US is the only place I know of where people refer to universities as colleges.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Spamming this thread is NOT a good idea if you wish to continue posting here
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Filled the survey out.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

The US is the only place I know of where people refer to universities as colleges.
            I think the main distinguishing feature is that Universities have multiple Campuses, while colleges do not. Or something.

I know that Universities are considered to be of a higher order than colleges. When Montclair State College (in New Jersey) became Montclair State University a few years back, it was a big thing for them. I don't know what they had to do to accomplish it.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

offer a master's degree?

Jon miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

ENTIRE POST EDITED BY MING.

I will remind you all one more time that this ISN'T a thread you want to spam... or continue silly arguments in.

Stick to the topic... and do NOT respond to non related posts.

Especially if all you are going to do is insult people or rant and rave.
                Last edited by Ming; September 18, 2003, 10:38.

Comment

Edit: nevermind, not geogrphicly eligible
                  Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                  Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                  "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                  From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                    I know that Universities are considered to be of a higher order than colleges. When Montclair State College (in New Jersey) became Montclair State University a few years back, it was a big thing for them. I don't know what they had to do to accomplish it.
                    If it's anything like here (well, our Colleges are "Schools of Higher Education" but same difference), it's to do with the range of subjects offered. I mean, somewhere like Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan in Stockholm is better than any univeristy for technical/IT subjects but only offers those and thus doesn't have the status.
                    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                      Dan, An interesting topic to analyze. Wouldn't data on the reaction of those not in the affected area also be relevant? Contrasting the views, particularly in questions 13-19, should provide useful data on how the crisis affected perception. In addition, a question about which media outlet the non affected people watched should shed some light on how these perceptions were formed. A similar question to the affected people about how their perceptions changed once they became aware of the magnitude of the failure and how they heard of it could provide useful data.
                      Hi PLATO.

The reason for the limited geographical target audience, and the lack of media influence on the public (and perhaps vice verse), was simply a matter of scale. To be more specific somewhat, my paper is to be a maximum of twenty pages and I want to make sure that what points I am measuring I can address adequately in my essay.

Certainly if there was room now, or the opportunity were to present itself in the future, what you have suggested would provide additional avenues of research and analysis on this topic.

Thanks to everyone who has completed the survey so far, and to those who were/are interested but cannot do so due the limitations in its scope.

--
                      Dan
                      PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                      >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by Kropotkin
                        How are you going to handle the fact that the sample has a unknown bias?
                        Well, I consider that a given that must be accepted and taken into account in regard to any survey/poll results.

--
                        Dan
                        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Yeah well, your population is hardly chosen in a ideal way. But at the same time that's quite understandable. It's not that easy for a college student to get a list of everyone that lives withing the area and then start sedning them letters or phoning them. I suppose you'll get answers from young males moustly. Vital to point that out in the paper.

Comment

Kropotkin, There is definately a sexual bias to this base, but I believe there is a pretty good age distribution posting here. Not to mention the widely varied political base that this site hosts. It should actually provide a pretty decent sample(Sexual bias not withstanding).

Dan, any chance we could see the results when you are done?
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I wouldn't call it a good sample, I'm a fundamentalist when it comes to things like this.

Also, I'd say that a sample size of 40 is way to small...
                              Last edited by Kropotkin; September 19, 2003, 08:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Kropotkin
                                [..]

I'd say that a sample size of 40 is way to small...
                                The sample size of 40 is the maximum number of participants specified as being permitted by my professor in his instructions for the paper.

--
                                Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X