Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playboy responds to Wal-mart Ban

Playboy wants Wal-Mart women

No. 1 retailer surprised by magazine's Web site's 'search for sexiest women.'
    September 15, 2003: 3:17 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - If you're a female cashier or a corporate officer at Wal-Mart, age 18 and over, and you're not afraid to shed your inhibitions in front of the camera, Playboy wants you.

Playboy.com announced Monday it is searching for the sexiest women at Wal-Mart Stores (WMT: Research, Estimates), the world's biggest retailer.

"Wal-Mart employees have a reputation for being cheerful and now Playboy.com is giving them a chance to smile for the camera," Playboy said in a press release. "Playboy.com wants Wal-Mart's sexiest assets to roll back their clothes and pose nude."

Playboy ran a similar-themed 'Women of Enron' last year and 'Women of Starbucks' photospreads in the magazine earlier this year. The Wal-Mart theme is the first for Playboy.com.

The offer took Wal-Mart by surprise.

"I'm not aware that Playboy put out something like this (referring to the press release)," said Tom Williams, spokesman for Wal-Mart. "But this is not a ballpark that Wal-Mart wants to play in."

He declined to say whether Wal-Mart would take any action against an employee who decided to take up Playboy's offer.

"We knew that this would be a very provocative thing for us to do," said John Thomas, editor of Playboy.com. "Wal-Mart has a conservative corporate image and we knew they wouldn't be thrilled. But we're hoping that the company will be pleased once they see how fun the pictures are and how empowered the women at Wal-Mart feel."

Recently Wal-Mart, in an effort to spread its wholesome image as a family store, said it would put covers on a few women's magazines that typically display racy pictures and story titles.

Bentonville, Ark.- based Wal-Mart also banned three men's magazines, including FHM, Maxim, and Stuff, earlier this year because it said it had received complaints from customers about their content.

In the past, Wal-Mart has refused to sell CDs that carry warning labels about explicit lyrics. Instead, the store sells sanitized versions of albums, with some songs omitted or covers redrawn to pass muster with the chain's buyers.
    Let the Nudie Wars begin!

"People sit in chairs!" - Bobby Baccalieri

I bet you they will fire the cashiers if they pose nude

Comment

I'll give Playboy credit for this one... a truely classic move. A brilliant way to snub their nose at Walmart.

But I'll bet that Walmart has already decided that anybody that poses is toast. And while it's not official... I'll bet word is spreading as we speak.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Playboy has done some brilliant things over the years, this is right up there .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

A job at Walmart or getting a decent bit of money to pose nude - I bet a lot of people will tell Walmart to shove it
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Can Wal-Mart legally fire someone who decides to post nude on their own time? I'm assuming as long as the employee doesn't pose in her work uniform it will be ok, but, then again she's naked so uniforms shouldn't be an issue.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

well sometimes in the college issues they wear their college sweater (usually pulled up over their breasts)

Comment

The editor of Playboy.com is John Thomas?!?
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

"A job at Walmart or getting a decent bit of money to pose nude - I bet a lot of people will tell Walmart to shove it"

My thoughts precisely.
                  "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                  Drake Tungsten
                  "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                  Albert Speer

Comment

Could look pretty bad for them if a future would-be employer calls up Walmart to find out why she was fired..
                    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                      Can Wal-Mart legally fire someone who decides to post nude on their own time?
                      Yes. Wal-Mart's branding is as a family oriented, nice place. They can argue that having nude models working for them will damage their branding. And since almsot all states are work-at-will states, you can be fired for pretty much any reason, as long as it's not for specifically prohibitted reasons (race, gender, etc).

You can get a fairly decent amout of money if you're a centerfold. But for one of these pictorials, I doubt they'd get enough to make up for the loss of work.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

ahh but those are one time deals. None of those women are hot enough to be full time playboy bunnies.

They will only get a couple thousand for one shoot. Not enough to quite their job over.

And most of them are air-brushed many times over to look attractive enough to be in the magazine in the first place.

Comment

Wal-Mart's branding is as a family oriented, nice place.

Good money also that Wal-Mart's employment contract has a 'morality clause'.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

"Could look pretty bad for them if a future would-be employer calls up Walmart to find out why she was fired.."

If you work at wal-mart, either your future job prospects are fast food, mass-retail, or you're moving up the ladder to something higher up, like working for a company. In the former case, an employer wouldn't care, and in the latter case, the employer would probably recognize that that was a one time deal, and not let it get in the way of hiring personnel.
                            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                            Drake Tungsten
                            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                            Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                              The editor of Playboy.com is John Thomas?!?
                              Now that is funny.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X