Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going too far? Banning peanut butter sandwiches because of ONE childs allergy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I myself voted that severe dietary restrcitions should not be forced on everyone else..that given, calling this kid a "whinner" is absurd. this kid did nothing to bring upon himself a condition that might kill him, and quite painfully by the way.

The reason to restrict in school is not even just so that the kid does not eat i: kids eat messily, and peanut oil stays on the skin..so if a friend is eating peanut butter and touches the butter and does not wash up and touches this kid, well, they might as well have shoved a baby ruth down his mouth.

I think making sure kids that eat peanut producst wash their hands thouroughly afterwards is the minimum necessary...a duty could be given to one teacher to monitor that this kid does not come into contact with the oils. s far as his own nurse, well, that might be too much strain on resources
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Wouldn't it make equal sense to say that since so many of the kids are absolutely desperate to eat peanut butter sandwiches that they should go to a private school so they can indulge themselves?

No, because there are more of them than there are of this kid .

Btw, was it you, John, who speculated on how come today you have all these peanut allergies while when you were young you never heard of this? Where did this crap come from?

If the peanut oil is present then one child in the school will be exposed to the risk of death.

Maybe, just because there is a peanut in the school doesn't mean the kid dies. There are plenty of other things in schools that could potentially kill kids.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Seldon

I understand resonable precaution in this situation but the kid is going to have to learn to cope one day. Coddling him now will make him a less adjusted adult.
        He's in kindergarten. Should we make the little bugger get a job to pay for his school fees, too?
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Think about the kids raised vegetarian who are probably allergic to meat.

it's our responsibility to feed them meat and help them escape the evil clutches of their obviously communist parents who hate good old american beef.
          B♭3

Comment

He's in kindergarten. Should we make the little bugger get a job to pay for his school fees, too?

well, he wouldn't have to. since it's a public school, the taxes they take out of his paycheck should more than cover his school fees.
            B♭3

Comment

Btw, was it you, John, who speculated on how come today you have all these peanut allergies while when you were young you never heard of this?

No, but I can.

How come I never heard of this when I was a kid? How come we didn't have kindergarteners dropping dead left and right during lunch hour?

Comment

This kid is going to a public school. Every reasonable effort should be made to see that he can attend it in safety.
                The kid has a nurse assigned to look after him. Isn't that enough?

Comment

calling this kid a "whinner" is absurd. this kid did nothing to bring upon himself a condition that might kill him, and quite painfully by the way.

Rather his parents are whiners then. Forcing everyone to cowtow to your severe dietary restriction is whining, IMO.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    The negative effect is forcing them to not eat something that they and their parents want to. This also falls disproportionatly on the poor kids, because peanut butter and jelly is much cheaper than cold cut sandwiches .
                    It's also disgusting so they're saving the kids from that angle. How many kids would actually have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every day anway?
                    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      There are plenty of other things in schools that could potentially kill kids.
                      Precisely. So why not take a simple measure to eliminate one of them?
                      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

How many kids would actually have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every day anway?

From my experience in kindergarten, most kids enjoy and eat PB&J for lunch.

Comment

So why not take a simple measure to eliminate one of them?

If you eliminate one, why not all the rest? Why not just make the school have padding all over the walls and ban pencils and all other sharp items, and don't forget electricity too .

Comment

Here in America PB&J's are possibly the most common lunch food for children this age - they're relatively nutrici.. nutrish... uh, healthy, ( ) and really easy to make. Plus, kids love it - just ask Sophie.

Comment

Stupid Yuppies!

If they are afraid of nuts why move to WalNUT Creek?!@

Basically, it is the responsibility of that student and his parents to protect him from his allergy, not the whole communities. If they are that afraid of him getting hurt then they should just home school him until he can look out for himself.
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                                Precisely. So why not take a simple measure to eliminate one of them?
                                Eliminating one of the kids? You think that would work?
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X