Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going too far? Banning peanut butter sandwiches because of ONE childs allergy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnT
    Then they learned that a licensed vocational nurse has been hired to monitor the student.
    Like I said, his allergies prompted the hiring of a nurse. But to think the nurse is going to be monitoring one child 100% of her work time is ridiculous. It'll be a school nurse, not a child's nurse.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Solution: vegemite.
      Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
        Just like me with the Kingston joke.
        I'm gonna have to ask....
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
          Maybe they just didn't like you.
          Well, that too.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by rah
            The kid should be asked to leave town, since it is named Walnut Grove, and any contact with it may kill him.

Seriously, I'm a bit torn on this one. While I do see the need to protect the child, this does seem a bit over the top. I would have to go along with those recommending home schooling.
            So a perfectly normal kid with a problem that can be easily managed without any negative effect on the other children should be forced out of normal school? Very harsh solution it seems to me.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

The negative effect is forcing them to not eat something that they and their parents want to. This also falls disproportionatly on the poor kids, because peanut butter and jelly is much cheaper than cold cut sandwiches .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                If you really are that scared, send your kid to private (public, in your neck of the woods) school. Don't force everyone else to give up their favorite food.
                So you have to pay to go to a different school because your child has a severe allergy? I think the state should help protect a child in the state education system, and I think just because he has an allergy does not make him any less entitled to an education.

Originally posted by Arrian
                Badly handled by the school, I think, in terms of their failure to talk to the other parents first.
                I agree, but the actual action is necessary IMHO. Though they should have informed the parents in advance.
                Smile
                For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

It shouldn't be that big of a deal. Surely kids can live without having PB&Js at school???? Cream cheese and jelly is 5 times better anyway. Or they could have cold-cuts - any number of alternatives!!!

amen.
                  all meat, all the time. nothing but roast beef for the kiddies. now that's a real lunch.
                  B♭3

Comment

Since the school is aware, it's a moot question. They can't recind their order 'cuz they can still be held liable in court.

And having the disease-riddled vermin wash their hands a couple times a day isn't a bad idea. All schools should do that.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Exactly. That stupid kid should just pull himself together and think more positively. It's the equal-opportunity PC-freak propaganda that makes his throat swell shut if he eats any nut products
                      No, it's the equal-opportunity PC-freak propaganda that let's one person direct policy for an entire group. I know severe allergies are nothing to laugh at, I have a few myself, but to restrict the school due to one child's intolerance to peanuts is crazy. What's this kid going to do when he gets older and has to interact with the real world? Walk into a deli and demand they eliminate all peanut particle contamination because the deli is within walking distance from his work and he wants to eat there?

I understand resonable precaution in this situation but the kid is going to have to learn to cope one day. Coddling him now will make him a less adjusted adult.

Comment

So you have to pay to go to a different school because your child has a severe allergy? I think the state should help protect a child in the state education system, and I think just because he has an allergy does not make him any less entitled to an education.

Well if the parents want the kid in a peanut free environment, they should pay for it, and not make the school pay for it and force the other kids to not eat peanuts.

Osweld said heartless Americans... yep, that's me . I don't give two ****s about his ailment. If I wanna eat PB&J, you ain't taking that away from me!
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Wouldn't it make equal sense to say that since so many of the kids are absolutely desperate to eat peanut butter sandwiches that they should go to a private school so they can indulge themselves?

This kid is going to a public school. Every reasonable effort should be made to see that he can attend it in safety. I think a rule that peanut oil isn't allowed is perfectly reasonable.

To me, the bottom line is that no child will be harmed if the peanut oil is banned. If the peanut oil is present then one child in the school will be exposed to the risk of death. The banning of peanut oil is a small price to pay.
                          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

all meat, all the time. nothing but roast beef for the kiddies

Think about the kids raised vegetarian who are probably allergic to meat .

Comment

Usually, kindergarteners keep their lunches in the room with them, Imran, so having the kid eat somewhere else is not a complete solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld

Like I said, his allergies prompted the hiring of a nurse. But to think the nurse is going to be monitoring one child 100% of her work time is ridiculous. It'll be a school nurse, not a child's nurse.
                                No, it is not ridiculous, it is distressingly common.

Comment

Working...
                                X