Your Favorite Local Foods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favorite Local Foods

I moved from the Quad Cities, to Charleston over a month ago.

One food that I miss, is the ice cream produced by the franchise called Whitey's. Whitey's is a local ice cream franchise in the Quad Cities -- on the lines of Dairy Queen, but TENS times better in quality and use of ingredients.

I miss Whitey's ice cream.

I look forward to pigging out on a lot of it when I visit my friends in the Quad Cities again, a week from today.

So Americans, Europeans, Aussies and anyone else in any other part of the world. What LOCAL food service franchise are you particularly fond of? Describe it for those who don't know what you may be talking about.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Whitey's

I like The Tamale Factory. Best mexican food. Also Gautaljaras in Davis. Damn good Mexican food.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
      Whitey's

I like The Tamale Factory. Best mexican food. Also Gautaljaras in Davis. Damn good Mexican food.
      Sorry if the name Whitey's would offend PC fanatics.

Tamale Factory? What makes it the best place for mexican food to you?
      Or Gautaljaras??

Comment

Java Noodles. Best Indonesian place I've ever been to.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

The Tamale Factory is a little place in Woodland, CA that has like 2 tables in it, but you could get tamales for 1.20 each. They were huge and total grub, the hot was actually hot and not mild like most places.

Guadawhatevers had a Burrito that could feed a family of 5 for a week! Plus they had a chip and salsa bar.

Also, Dos Coyotes is a great little franchise. Good specials and a Pallaya (spelling?) burrito that was to die for.

Obviously, I like Mexican food, and good mexican food (while not hard to find around here) is the best.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Nebraska: the Runza

Chicago: real Chicago stuffed-pizza, Italian beef sandwiches, Maxwell St Polish sausage, pork chop sandwiches, Chicago-style hot dogs, strawberry tamales from Pilsen, empenadas

Miami: all you can eat stone-crab claws, conch fritters

Seattle: sushi, fish tacos
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

chegitz guevara, some of those foods you mentioned sound delicious.

The Tamale Factory is a little place in Woodland, CA that has like 2 tables in it, but you could get tamales for 1.20 each. They were huge and total grub, the hot was actually hot and not mild like most places.

Guadawhatevers had a Burrito that could feed a family of 5 for a week! Plus they had a chip and salsa bar.

Also, Dos Coyotes is a great little franchise. Good specials and a Pallaya (spelling?) burrito that was to die for.

Obviously, I like Mexican food, and good mexican food (while not hard to find around here) is the best.
              sounds great

Comment

Toronto: A spicy bowl of pho bo with fresh coriander, basil, bean sprouts, lemon and chili sauce. Cool down with an ice cold strawberry bubble tea.
                Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                -Richard Dawkins

Comment

pho bo????

Comment

They were huge and total grub, the hot was actually hot and not mild like most places.
                    A friend was describing an Indian place in London about their hot sauses.

"This is mild, hot, very hot, and not for white people."
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Some of us, Mr. Fun, are cultured and thus know that Vietnamese will rapidly become the new Japanese when it comes to designer dining.

mmmm.....Che's got me thinking about curry now. Chicken vindaloo with hot naan bread and cooling raita on the side.
                      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

"This is mild, hot, very hot, and not for white people."
                        One of my good buddies is Indian and that is exactly what his father says...
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

I miss whiteys too.
                          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

At least it's not Cracker's Ice Cream

I actually saw Whitey's on The Food Network once, looked good
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

In Canada, my Indian friends made me an honourary "brown person" cause I was the only white friend they had that could handle the spice.

My friends in the UK are wimps and find my habit of munching on chillies like they're popcorn to be strange.
                              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Working...
                              X