Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    *cough* Tom DeLay *cough*
    I said nearly as many wackos. We still have a few.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      It isn't. When you get a job you have to have two pieces of ID. One is proof of identity. Your DL will suffice for that. You also need proof of citizenship, which means a passport or birth cirtificate or other such document. A driver's license will not work for this.
      When you get a job you are supposed to show two forms of ID from a certain list of acceptable IDs. To register to vote all you need is a valid State ID or a driver's licience.

It's perfectly obvious why Davis is pushing this 4 weeks before the election. He wants to register illegals to vote because he thinks they'll vote for him. It's that simple.

Comment

The real question isn't whether California will split.

But if California will secede and go to Mexico

So if Bustamante were to declare California as part of Mexico, what would Bush do?

Not that it will happen. Mexicans don't want California to be mexico. There's a reason they left Mexico. If that were to happen, they'd all leave California to Nevada and Arizona. Actually many of them already are.

It is much better for them to take California by population means, but still have it be part of the U.S. That way citizens can pay for their health care.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          It boils down to Davis is looking down a barrel of a gun so he's going to pander to anyone and everyone to get votes.
          How does the legislature have anything to do with Davis? If he could get the legislature to do his bidding, he wouldn't be facing recall in the first place.

Getting illegals to vote is nonsense - even if they applied today, they wouldn't have their photo ID's license until after the election. To get the license or to register to vote, you have to have a street address, and it becomes public record. Why in hell would illegals give a **** enough about state politics to risk arrest and deportation? That's one of the popular racist myths - hordes of beaners flooding across the border to vote for liberals who hand out welfare checks anonymously on every street corner , but actual proof comes up far short.

Registered illegals is far from the most common voter registration and ballot violation.

On the subject itself, immigration status is a Federal issue, not a state one, and the state has already required a number of classes of non-resident aliens to be licensed in California - F1 & F2, H1 & H2, L1 & L2 visa holders, among others.

From the state's perspective of regulating safe driving on the streets and freeways, you really don't give a **** about nationality or residency, hence the requirement that non-resident aliens get licensed here if they're in the state more than a certain period of time.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

yes, but it will get the hispanic vote who is already registered to vote.

Legal immigrants tend to support illegal immigrants. Look what happens with Cubans in Florida.

why do you think Republicans can't get any hispanic vote? The legal immigrants aren't voting for them because republicans are against illegal immigration and percieved as racists.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
              How does the legislature have anything to do with Davis? If he could get the legislature to do his bidding, he wouldn't be facing recall in the first place.
              Davis knowns he has to pander to his party's special interests if he is to stand any chance in reelection. The party tried to pass this bill before and he vetoed it, rightly, claiming it would possibly allow illegal aliens to vote. Now he's faced with a tight election and he pulls a 180. Why? Because he thinks he'll get something out of it that's why.

Comment

If anything, this would hurt Davis and help Bustamente, but the California Hispanic vote is not only not all Mexican-American, but it's also not particularly monolithic. You have the same regional and issues based splits as you have with any other demographic group.

What does get a lot of attention from the Hispanic voters in CA is any measure or candidate who sticks out as particularly anti-migrant, because a fair number of folks have the mentality than anyone brown is one of those damn-greasy-illegal-here-to-steal-our-jobs,-our-women,-and-our-money-beanersTM.

Cubans in Florida are different, in the sense that the issue is a lot more about Castro and sticking it to the Castro regime, than it is about floating Cubanos.
                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Davis knowns he has to pander to his party's special interests if he is to stand any chance in reelection. The party tried to pass this bill before and he vetoed it, rightly, claiming it would possibly allow illegal aliens to vote. Now he's faced with a tight election and he pulls a 180. Why? Because he thinks he'll get something out of it that's why.
                  Or he simply doesn't have the balls to veto anything not sponsored by a hardline social conservative Republican.

Davis isn't in "look for something" mode, Davis is in "blend into the woodwork and hope they forget I'm here so they won't do something about that" mode. All Davis wants to do is keep the candidates focused on bashing each other by not giving any side a target, because the short-memory electorate is already forgetting why they wanted to recall his ass, and the support for recall is slipping in the polls.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                    because a fair number of folks have the mentality than anyone brown is one of those damn-greasy-illegal-here-to-steal-our-jobs,-our-women,-and-our-money-beaner.
                    I'll agree that issue resinates in the latino community but like all racism it is often over played and isn't any where near as pervasive as some people seem to think.

Comment

No, it's not, but a provocative candidate or initiative can bring it to the forefront, like Bob Dornan's crybaby ***** act about the nonexistent hordes of illegals that rigged the election against him and for Loretta Sanchez.

Comment

A few months back, a news program was interviewing legal residents and naturalized citizens regarding how they felt about the illegal immigrant problem. One of the interviewed, I think from Chile, stuck in my mind (quoting best as I can remember):

"It took me three years to enter this country legally, and another three years dealing with INS beaurocracy to gain permanent residency. Every time I hear about one of these amnesty programs, I feel like taking a marker and writing STUPID across my forehead."
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

They're called beaners, now? I've never heard the term.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                            They're called beaners, now? I've never heard the term.
                            That's an old term my friend.

Comment

It's more of a southwest slang term. Arizona and California at least.

The rock group Molotov down here has a song "Frijolero" (literal translation: beaner) that's kind of funky and funny. Probably not to most gringos though.

Comment

Interesting. I've never heard it around here (New Jersey).

Comment

Working...
                                X