Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're all gonna die!!...uhm...in 2014, that is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asmodean
    Let's have a show of hands: If a thing this big hits, how many here actually think that humanity can do anything about it?

I say no. We have no chance. There's no technology available. nor is any technology likely to emerge within the next twelve years that will counter a threat like this.

Nukes??

It'll just laugh and keep on coming.

Asmodean
    Don't be silly. The smallest nuke we have would be enough to knock it completely out of its collision course (as long as we were to detonate it with a few years to spare).
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
      Why do they even keep reporting that stuff? I'm getting tired. As always, in a month they will say the the asteroid will pass earth.

If they were to observe something and find out the chances are 1 in a 1000, well, then announce.
      maybe it was a slow news day and had nothing else to report.
      Donate to the American Red Cross.
      Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Let's have a show of hands: If a thing this big hits, how many here actually think that humanity can do anything about it?

Nukes?? [IMG]

Asmodean
        Actually, I think we might have enough quantity of warheads, thank the cold war. All we would need is a delivery system, and we might be able to manage that in a decade or so.

The amusing thing about this thread is its assumption that we won't find another way to kill ourselves off in the meantime...
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

For those of you wishing the asteroid to hit LA for Texas, first off I live around LA area, not too far from the city and I would most likely die if it hit. Second all of you would most likely die anyways from the after effects and most likely strave to death while those of us in the impact site would die right away, so be carefull what you wish for.

An asteroid would mostly likely come down in the ocean since 2/3 of the planet is covered with water.
          Donate to the American Red Cross.
          Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

I say no. We have no chance. There's no technology available. nor is any technology likely to emerge within the next twelve years that will counter a threat like this.
            Nukes??

Asmodean
            Nukes would probably work, as well as other methods. You only have to knock it off course by a smidge. I've even heard of scenario where you could splatter it with the equivalent of a giant paint ball, which would affect its heat absorption, and cause it to go off course.

Jac.
            "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Ooh-ooh!!

I'm all for the Giant Paintball Method !!
              (plus, it would be a great name for a rock band).
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

But they add the chances of it doing so are just one in 909,000.

What is more, any risk of an impact is likely to decrease as further
                data is gathered, they say.

Credible threat

The BBC's science correspondent Christine McGourty says that, although the chances this asteroid will hit the Earth are slim, it is
                considered worth monitoring due to its sheer size and velocity.

The rock is said to measure approximately two thirds of a mile across- only one tenth of the size of the meteor thought to have wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

It is travelling at a speed of about 20 miles per second.

"In theory such an asteroid could cause devastation across an entire continent," Christine McGourty says.

It has been labelled "2003 QQ 47" and astronomers will be monitoring it closely for the next two months.

Comment

Hm, why would everyone die? I mean sure Those ppl. near the impact would die...
                  Ok the theory is a big dust cloud would kill all plant live cose lack of sun. What about if the rock hits the ocean? No Dust cloud than?
                  Anyways if you live far enough away from impact you could make it. I mean you can grow plants with electric lights. You would still get electricity from the usuall methods used today, no sun needed. You can feed your animals with your plants. Feed yourself with the plants + dead animals. Sure it gets cold with no sun. But heating is still avaibel for you, your plants and animals.

We dont need the Sun!
                  If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

that gives me 11 years to get as much ***** as I can

Comment

As always in a crisis --

Some would try save the world.
                      Some woud just try to get high and/or get laid.

It was ever thus...

Comment

*bumped for Thorn*
                        "People sit in chairs!" - Bobby Baccalieri

Comment

Originally posted by DanielXY
                          Hm, why would everyone die? I mean sure Those ppl. near the impact would die...
                          Ok the theory is a big dust cloud would kill all plant live cose lack of sun. What about if the rock hits the ocean? No Dust cloud than?
                          There would be no dust, that's true.

But if it were to hit the ocean, all I can say is:

SURF'S UP!!!

And then most coastal cities overlooking that part of the ocean would be wiped out.
                          "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                          "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                          "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

it wouldn't be so bad if it hit the artic ocean.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                              Good, I hope it wipes us out...
                              naaaahh... i just hope it wipes you out
                              "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                              - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                              Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

I'm with Sava on this one.
                                American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                                I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                                Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                                XGalaga.

Comment

Working...
                                X